England men's fixtures omdt.

Was there last night.  High points, The sun was shining, nice pub with excellent chicken wings and only paid £1 for parking.

Low points, The football.

One more point I was chatting with some Wolves fans who couldn't wait to see Connor Coady play on his home ground for England. Something else Southgate screwed up, even if it had been for the last ten minutes instead of putting Macguire on 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duncanidaho said:

These are 'professional' players.   If they can't get themselves up for every time they pull on the England shirt, then maybe they shouldn't be playing.  You can't pick and choose when you try, especially at that level....

But they are also humans, and no other English players are going to be more enthused. 

These are a new generation that put club miles before country.  It's June, after the season has ended, in a tournament that is neither the Euros or the World Cup which they could get up for as they are only every 4 years. 

I'm intrigued to see how ' up for it ' they are in this coming WC . I can imagine the likes of Pep, Conte and Klopp will have quiet words with players , explaining  they need to come back ready mentally and physically to resume the domestic season. This won't just apply to the English players either. Perhaps we will have a World Cup that's very low on commitment!.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I don't think there's some outstanding candidate waiting in the wings to take the England job. 

I think the criteria for managing England has changed though. The days when the England job was seen as the pinnacle of a managers career are long gone. These days the top managers and coaches would rather work at club level, so In that respect I agree there's no obvious candidate.

IMO Southgate's eventual replacement is more likely to be found within the FAs own coaching structure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think the criteria for managing England has changed though. The days when the England job was seen as the pinnacle of a managers career are long gone. These days the top managers and coaches would rather work at club level, so In that respect I agree there's no obvious candidate.

IMO Southgate's eventual replacement is more likely to be found within the FAs own coaching structure.

God help us then 

All yes men and all as bad as each other...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

But they are also humans, and no other English players are going to be more enthused. 

These are a new generation that put club miles before country.  It's June, after the season has ended, in a tournament that is neither the Euros or the World Cup which they could get up for as they are only every 4 years. 

I'm intrigued to see how ' up for it ' they are in this coming WC . I can imagine the likes of Pep, Conte and Klopp will have quiet words with players , explaining  they need to come back ready mentally and physically to resume the domestic season. This won't just apply to the English players either. Perhaps we will have a World Cup that's very low on commitment!.  

Totally.

As much as we as fans want to see 100% all the time from England, I'll forgive them for this. 
I'm not arsed about this competition and had to be reminded it was actually on.

The players might be multi-millionaires but are still human and have just had a long, physically and mentally draining season that went to the last few minutes, then they have to do this, then an early start to next season, World Cup in the middle, back to the regular season.

All the while, they will be getting trolled by their mates with social media pics and videos of them living it up on some sun drenched idyll.

No wonder for me they can't be arsed.

Expect a totally different approach for the WC though.

3 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

No, you are probably right. 

It's not the glamour job that it was once portrayed at and tbf, the glamour managers we had didn't exactly pull up many trees. 

He's done a solid job has Southgate, but you do sort of wonder if he'd have been better off stepping down after the Euros. For one, they shouldn't have been tying him down to a new deal, but then that's standard FA f*ckwittery. 

Last night felt like a bit of a moment for me and not in a good way where Gareth Southgate is concerned. 

22 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's not the glamour job that it was once portrayed at and tbf, the glamour managers we had didn't exactly pull up many trees. 

He's done a solid job has Southgate, but you do sort of wonder if he'd have been better off stepping down after the Euros. For one, they shouldn't have been tying him down to a new deal, but then that's standard FA f*ckwittery. 

Last night felt like a bit of a moment for me and not in a good way where Gareth Southgate is concerned. 

I've said on other bits of social media...Gareth Southgate is not popular with fans, and not just because of his football decisions.

His defence of his players taking the knee in the face of booing by large sections of the teams support didn't go down well, and he is seen as a bit of a ' lefty' , which I believe is in direct contrast to the England teams in ground and travelling support. It was never going to take much for them to turn on him.

If you are looking for a possible replacement, there are slim pickings if we want an English coach. 

Almost immediately we are down to Lampard and Gerrard, who the FA would probably choose between. English club managers like Potter, Dyche and Howe don't really fit the bill.

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

I've said on other bits of social media...Gareth Southgate is not popular with fans, and not just because of his football decisions.

His defence of his players taking the knee in the face of booing by large sections of the teams support didn't go down well, and he is seen as a bit of a ' lefty' , which I believe is in direct contrast to the England teams in ground and travelling support. It was never going to take much for them to turn on him.

If you are looking for a possible replacement, there are slim pickings if we want an English coach. 

Almost immediately we are down to Lampard and Gerrard, who the FA would probably choose between. English club managers like Potter, Dyche and Howe don't really fit the bill.

Not everything is 'left vs right' why can't you accept that some people don't enjoy the football England have played under Southgate, why do some always have to make about more than the end product being served up?!

The guy would struggle to get a job back at Middlesborough is he was fired from the England job. Last night was tactically inept. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I sometimes wonder if the attributes needed to be a successful national manager are quite different to those needed to be a successful club manager. As you say, being the former doesn't by any means translate into being the latter. It would be interesting to see how a top level club coach like Klopp or Guardiola would get on as England boss............

41 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I can't, objectively, be too harsh on him, but I wonder if we've passed the point of peak Southgate. In his own way, he has been a positive appointment; he's eliminated the different cliques in the squad, qualified for recent tournaments with ease, and (at least until recently) we seem to have less of those embarrassing slip-ups against lower ranked teams. Generally, we're winning the games you would expect us to win, even if you sometimes get the impression that he actually sets out not to lose them. My problem with him is that his England teams seem to fall short in the big games once we're up against world class opposition. Am I the only person to detect a degree of tactical inflexibility in his approach? Contrast him with Mancini in the Euro final who saw Italy were struggling and made changes even before half time, whereas SG just impassively watched on for about 70 minutes while the game slipped away from England. I guess the problem is that it's easy to get rid of him but much harder to replace him. Nevertheless, maybe the FA should start thinking about succession.

33 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

defending players who make a moral choice to support a movement that is pro civil rights as opposed to people booing is not left v right.  its right v wrong...

I get all the caveats  ..........................and ideally the players should have been having a decent break this summer , however...

Gareth Southgate couldn`t have got things more wrong in this 4 game spell if he tried.

Guehi and Tomori........promising young centre backs ...... I presume GS picked them to see if they offered more than Mings, Coady, White etc as back up to his favored two , yet barely gave them a handful of minutes.....whats the point ?

Kane....our one true world class player should have been packed off on his holidays instead he starts 3 out of 4 games and GS and the whole country is no wiser as to who out of Abraham, Calvert-Lewin, Ings, Wilson, Watkins etc are his back up , replacement , or (heaven forfend we try something different) his partner.

Trippier, Justin and James.....3 right footers at left back ?...........everyone knows Chilwell and Shaw are first choice when fit so why not look at Tyrick Mitchell some more or Luke James etc........you know.........natural LEFT backs.

Mason Mount 90 plus games this season......starts 3 out of 4 games...................Grealish underused and fresh starts 1 out of 4........lets face it he doesn`t like Grealish  and only picks him just to save the media hounding.

James Maddison , a player who plays in the 10 role.......................a position that NO-ONE in the squad has nailed , has a cracking season and doesn`t even make the squad.

Harry Maguire , a player shot of all confidence should have been told to jet off on his hols , playing him just makes thing worse....at his best a few years ago his breaks into midfield were a major part of our play , these days he cant wait to get rid of the ball cus he is shot of confidence.....which is where we came in.

Saka.......nowhere ready , yet all of a sudden he seems like a"Mount" style shoe in.......I guarantee if Grealish had played as poor as him and Sterling have in this camp , he wouldnt have been selected next time around.

Why give Ramsdale 2 starts ........maybe give Pope a chance in one of them in a proper game.

• Like 3

Guest Mcguigan
4 hours ago, Buck Rogers said:

Totally.

As much as we as fans want to see 100% all the time from England, I'll forgive them for this. 
I'm not arsed about this competition and had to be reminded it was actually on.

The players might be multi-millionaires but are still human and have just had a long, physically and mentally draining season that went to the last few minutes, then they have to do this, then an early start to next season, World Cup in the middle, back to the regular season.

All the while, they will be getting trolled by their mates with social media pics and videos of them living it up on some sun drenched idyll.

No wonder for me they can't be arsed.

Expect a totally different approach for the WC though.

Cause it's only England player's who have had long physically and mentally draining seasons.

What were Germany players doing been all energetic and enthusiastic playing for their country. And don't get me started on Hungary players busting a gut to compete. Charlatans.

6 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

I missed what happened last night as I was at a Crowded House concert

"Hey now Hey now" don't think you can go out enjoying yourself fancy pants and expect us all to "Fall at your Feet" n listen to your "Whispers & Moans" because you didn't get to see the game ....

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

"Hey now Hey now" don't think you can go out enjoying yourself fancy pants and expect us all to "Fall at your Feet" n listen to your "Whispers & Moans" because you didn't get to see the game ....

lol

Ramsdale's signature tune 

He let four goals in 

in one game 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bannofan said:

World Cup shouldn't have even been there in the 1st place

• Like 1