England men's fixtures omdt.

I think we were incredibly lucky at the WC; defensively we were awful - anytime we got tested we folded. Just because Stones and Herman caused a bit of bother going up for corners doesn't make them good defenders.

We had our backsides handed to us twice by Belgium, could easily have lost to Colombia, and did lose to a Croatia team that had a great midfield, but a poor defense and attack. They were beatable.

As I've said in a previous thread,  I don't care that Harry Kane won the golden boot - he was well below his Premiership standard and went missing far too often. Even now I kind of get the feeling that he's going to consistently underwhelm in tournaments,  just like Rooney did bar his first one. 

It's an attitude issue with England, and always has been. There seems to be a mentality,  now and in the past, that they can just turn up and do the bare minimum. Very, very few of our players are ever as good for England as they are for their clubs. That's just not the case with other countries. It's why we always seem to be underperforming. 

I don't care what they say in the media, I firmly believe that playing for England, especially at a summer tournament,  is an inconvenience for our lads..something that gets in the way of a nice relaxing holiday. The best example of this was probably South Africa 2010 when both manager and players gave the impression that they would rather be anywhere else but there.

8 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I think we were incredibly lucky at the WC; defensively we were awful - anytime we got tested we folded. Just because Stones and Herman caused a bit of bother going up for corners doesn't make them good defenders.

We had our backsides handed to us twice by Belgium, could easily have lost to Colombia, and did lose to a Croatia team that had a great midfield, but a poor defense and attack. They were beatable.

As I've said in a previous thread,  I don't care that Harry Kane won the golden boot - he was well below his Premiership standard and went missing far too often. Even now I kind of get the feeling that he's going to consistently underwhelm in tournaments,  just like Rooney did bar his first one. 

It's an attitude issue with England, and always has been. There seems to be a mentality,  now and in the past, that they can just turn up and do the bare minimum. Very, very few of our players are ever as good for England as they are for their clubs. That's just not the case with other countries. It's why we always seem to be underperforming. 

I don't care what they say in the media, I firmly believe that playing for England, especially at a summer tournament,  is an inconvenience for our lads..something that gets in the way of a nice relaxing holiday. The best example of this was probably South Africa 2010 when both manager and players gave the impression that they would rather be anywhere else but there.

For balance, BF, did you know Kane was carrying an ankle injury sustained in one of the group matches? 

13 hours ago, scram said:

Always been a massive England fan - hence the avatar

But i'm struggling to watch them now

I remeber getting negged to death (when they were a thing) for saying that losing to a mediocre Croatia in the WC semi final was a failure - never an easier route to a WC final

I was told how the team was evolving and that we would be x,y,z in the coming years - yep, heard it with The Golden Generation

Seen it all before and seeing it again

Nothing has changed apart from the names

It’s because we’ve got the wrong man in charge. Southgate hasn’t a clue on tactics. You only need to listen to his interviews 

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Where & when? I can only remember beating them 2-0 in the group stages of France 98. 

Sorry my reply was to ER. 
World Cup 2018. Group Stage

Beat Tunisia 2-1 with that injury time winner

Smashed Panama

Lost to Belgium

Then

Beat Colombia on pans

Beat Sweden 

Lost to Croatia

Lost to Belgium

• Thanks 1

Attacking wise I think this is the most exciting England squad in years.

Just imagine if we had someone like Foden, Mount, Grealish, Maddison available during that ‘Golden’ period between 2000-2010. We were crying out for a Number 10 type. Someone who could carry the ball, draw a foul and link midfield and attack. 

However I’m not completely confident in us defensively. The centre backs don’t fill me with confidence whatsoever. No one of real top quality. Arguably Stones has performed in one of the worlds best teams. Good defender but helped by the players he has around him?

Also a huge negative is having Southgate in charge. He’s not a good enough manager to take this team of attacking talent to the next level. Same goes for Boothroyd in the U’21s. We’ve got such a good squad at both levels but I really think a more tactically aware and experienced manager would get the best out of them. 

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I personally think that’s a bit unfair. A bit of a lazy stereotype to blame attitude for underperforming at tournaments. Some of those players you say didn’t want to be there won countless trophies for their club and are now succeeding in management and coaching. Hardly the type of character who couldn’t be bothered at a major tournament? 

Truth is we often overhype our talent. And that golden generation of Lampard, Rooney, Cole, Gerrard, Ferdinand etc - in my view were let down by poor tactical decisions and quite frankly bad luck. Failure to qualify for Euro 2008, was a shocker agreed, but we had McClaren in charge. 

Moving back to modern day. This England side is still nowhere near the level of Belgium, France and Germany. So I wouldn’t point to attitude. Just simply they have better players.

I still don’t believe we have a genuine world class player in the squad. Kane maybe, but don’t think he’s in the bracket of star players of other nations. E.G. De Bruyne, Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Neymar.

Why is our performance from yesterday being slated? Great result and played well

Some of the 'big' nations have dropped points already, France drawing to Ukraine and Spain drawing to Greece. Albania are no pushovers.

• Like 4

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, 442 said:

Why is our performance from yesterday being slated? Great result and played well

Some of the 'big' nations have dropped points already, France drawing to Ukraine and Spain drawing to Greece. Albania are no pushovers.

Yep, if Man City got Millwall at the New Den in the FA cup and came away with a 2-0 win, most would be saying job done and move on.

Poland will be another testing fixture but I’d reckon after three games we’ll top the group on nine points.

6 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think we need to stop giving so much credit for the semi final. We didn’t beat anyone we didn’t expect to beat, only beat Colombia on penalties and we should have beaten Croatia. It was such an easy run and we blew it. You can happen to have an easy run sometimes, doesn’t mean you made par.

It was an easy run but what exactly do you expect from England? I think some expect too much.

Before Southgate this is how we performed:

Euro 2016 - sent home by Iceland in the first knock-out stage

World Cup 2014 - Failed to get beyond the group stage.

Euro 2012 - decent effort in getting to the quarter-finals

World Cup 2010 - embarrassed by Germany in the first knock out stage

Euro 2008 - Failed to qualify for the finals.

3 tournaments 2002--2006 - decent run of quarter finals under Sven

Euro 2000 - knocked out in the group stage

World Cup 98 - lost in the first knockout stage

Euro 96 - semi-finals on home soil

World Cup 94 - failed to qualify for the finals

Euro 92 - knocked out in the group stage

World Cup 90 - semi finals under SIr Bobby.

Largely miserable since Sven. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It was an easy run but what exactly do you expect from England? I think some expect too much.

Before Southgate this is how we performed:

Euro 2016 - sent home by Iceland in the first knock-out stage

World Cup 2014 - Failed to get beyond the group stage.

Euro 2012 - decent effort in getting to the quarter-finals

World Cup 2010 - embarrassed by Germany in the first knock out stage

Euro 2008 - Failed to qualify for the finals.

3 tournaments 2002--2006 - decent run of quarter finals under Sven

Euro 2000 - knocked out in the group stage

World Cup 98 - lost in the first knockout stage

Euro 96 - semi-finals on home soil

World Cup 94 - failed to qualify for the finals

Euro 92 - knocked out in the group stage

World Cup 90 - semi finals under SIr Bobby.

Largely miserable since Sven. 

What England do now have nothing to do with how England have done traditionally. If Belgium go out at the quarters this summer it doesn’t mean they’ve had a good competition because they often don’t qualify or because they got knocked out of their own competition in the group stage 

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

What England do now have nothing to do with how England have done traditionally. If Belgium go out at the quarters this summer it doesn’t mean they’ve had a good competition because they often don’t qualify or because they got knocked out of their own competition in the group stage 

True, but we have had better all round squads than we have now yet have achieved far less than we have under Southgate so far.

We've won 2 out of 2 in professional manner. France and Spain both dropped points at home in their first two games, Holland were well beaten by Turkey, Belgium drew with the Czech Republic. 

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

True, but we have had better all round squads than we have now yet have achieved far less than we have under Southgate so far.

We've won 2 out of 2 in professional manner. France and Spain both dropped points at home in their first two games, Holland were well beaten by Turkey, Belgium drew with the Czech Republic. 

But Southgate didn't have to beat anyone of any note. I am sure Sven's side would've got to the final with that run for example. 

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

But Southgate didn't have to beat anyone of any note. I am sure Sven's side would've got to the final with that run for example. 

As I said we did decent under Sven. We have had better squads since then than we have now and have achieved nothing, failing to qualify or being knocked out by sides worse than the Croatia side we faced in the last competition.

As for current form. 2 wins out of 2 in qualifying, higher ranked teams including the world champions haven't managed that. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As I said we did decent under Sven. We have had better squads since then than we have now and have achieved nothing, failing to qualify or being knocked out by sides worse than the Croatia side we faced in the last competition.

As for current form. 2 wins out of 2 in qualifying, higher ranked teams including the world champions haven't managed that. 

I always say if we had beat Portugal in 2006 and made the semis, that England side would be looked back on as a big success.

Very fine margins.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

On 28/03/2021 at 23:06, SiJ said:

Yeah, it is a joke. 

Boothroyd won a promotion with Watford some 15 years ago, playing some of the most god awful football known to man. 

After that, he pretty much failed in every other club job he had and yet he's apparently good enough to manage what is arguably the second most important team in the England international set up. 

This is the man to which we entrust our brightest, up and coming young players? 

Here's Boothroyd trying to justify his failures:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12261053/aidy-boothroyd-says-england-u21-job-is-utterly-impossible-and-defends-young-lions-selection-policy

Completely ignoring the fact that every other under 21 national team coach will be in the same position yet many don't have as big a pool of players to pick from as he does. 

No shots on target from open play in 2 games. Cracking stuff.  Plenty of the Under 21 players in his squad train alongside top players with top class coaches at their clubs day in day out, they aren't relying on Boothroyd to nurture their talent. I guess getting knocked out of tournaments early with poor performances is ideal preparation to play for the senior national team though to be fair.