England men's fixtures omdt.

35 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

Stop giving caps to players who clearly aren’t good enough. It’s that simple.

just cos they’ve had 5 or 6 good premier league games doesn’t mean they are capable of playing for England. 

Gallagher  - no

Bowen - no

Ramsdale - no

Saka - no

I'd persevere with Bowen and Gallagher might be one for the future. But I agree about the other two. Ramsdale looked like a League 2 goalie and I repeat what I said last week that I can't see what Saka brings to the team.

• Like 1

Reality check needed on this alleged depth of quality that England have.

England have 1 genuinely world class player - Kane. I think there’s a further 3 younger players who have a realistic shot of getting there - Rice, Bellingham and Foden. You’ve then got Sterling and Walker who might not be “world class” but continue to have good top level experience and performances for club and country. Pickford is the number 1 by default and Maguire is the captain. 

That’s the England team. Outside of that I think we need to reign it in a bit. Too much hype and not enough product. Defensively it’s a joke and I think we’re backing the wrong players in midfield and forward positions, sometimes instead of those mentioned above.

Some of these are issues that go back to the Euro’s too, it’s not just just these 4 games. But in these 4 games.. sorry but we’ve picked some right sh*te. Absolutely kidding ourselves and fallen into the country’s own hype.

• Like 1

We won't win a tournament with Stones and Maguire, they are both a mistake waiting to happen.  they need an outstanding partner to make them look good.  Stones' manager hasn't the faith in him so why should England?  and maguire has had a pig of a season, why man utd paid that much money for him, i'll  never work out....

8 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Fatigue is a poor excuse because the World Cup should be taking place now.

The Nations League isn't the World Cup though. 

This isn't about physical fatigue, this is about mentally switching off, and simply rather being anywhere else than on a football pitch.  

Not one player is going to come out and tell the truth- that they were going through the motions and couldn't be bothered to follow a game plan, concentrate and have discipline.

We all know that England players don't seem to take the same pride in playing for their country that other teams do. That was the difference tonight. 

I honestly believe this tournament and these results have absolutely no bearing on what will happen in Qatar . There will be different mental challenges there, and players still might not 'show up', but it won't be related to this ridiculous competition. 

Make no mistake,  England players have embarrassed themselves over these 4 games, but we aren't at 2010 South Africa levels of hopelessness and disinterest yet. 

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

The Nations League isn't the World Cup though. 

This isn't about physical fatigue, this is about mentally switching off, and simply rather being anywhere else than on a football pitch.  

Not one player is going to come out and tell the truth- that they were going through the motions and couldn't be bothered to follow a game plan, concentrate and have discipline.

We all know that England players don't seem to take the same pride in playing for their country that other teams do. That was the difference tonight. 

I honestly believe this tournament and these results have absolutely no bearing on what will happen in Qatar . There will be different mental challenges there, and players still might not 'show up', but it won't be related to this ridiculous competition. 

Make no mistake,  England players have embarrassed themselves over these 4 games, but we aren't at 2010 South Africa levels of hopelessness and disinterest yet. 

These are 'professional' players.   If they can't get themselves up for every time they pull on the England shirt, then maybe they shouldn't be playing.  You can't pick and choose when you try, especially at that level....

16 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

These are 'professional' players.   If they can't get themselves up for every time they pull on the England shirt, then maybe they shouldn't be playing.  You can't pick and choose when you try, especially at that level....

Check the viewing figures. I bet no way near as many people were watching this week thean the final week of the euros. That will show how much of an appetite we as a country had for these games. 

It would be nice to think it would be different for players  but that's not reality. They'll be thinking they should be off on their holidays. 

We are a scalp for Hungry, but we couldn't give a flying one for them. That's why we were probably more up for the Germany and Italy games, or at least as (not very much) up for it as they were

19 minutes ago, neo hippy said:

Check the viewing figures. I bet no way near as many people were watching this week thean the final week of the euros. That will show how much of an appetite we as a country had for these games. 

It would be nice to think it would be different for players  but that's not reality. They'll be thinking they should be off on their holidays. 

We are a scalp for Hungry, but we couldn't give a flying one for them. That's why we were probably more up for the Germany and Italy games, or at least as (not very much) up for it as they were

Absolutely disagree.  These are players who are hoping to be picked to play at a World Cup, they should be out there trying to impress the manager.  And the established players should be leading by example.  It would be better if we didn't play in a competition we have no respect for rather than have dis-interested players making a mockery of playing for the national team.

if this was a one off result, sh!t happens, but they haven't really performed well for a team that thinks they can win a world cup. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Southgate will still be manager going into he World Cup.

A poor performance in Qatar and is time to give someone else a go.

he's toast then....

unless we get another kind draw where the big boys are in the other half and we don't play anybody decent until the semi's

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Reality check needed on this alleged depth of quality that England have.

England have 1 genuinely world class player - Kane. I think there’s a further 3 younger players who have a realistic shot of getting there - Rice, Bellingham and Foden. You’ve then got Sterling and Walker who might not be “world class” but continue to have good top level experience and performances for club and country. Pickford is the number 1 by default and Maguire is the captain. 

That’s the England team. Outside of that I think we need to reign it in a bit. Too much hype and not enough product. Defensively it’s a joke and I think we’re backing the wrong players in midfield and forward positions, sometimes instead of those mentioned above.

Some of these are issues that go back to the Euro’s too, it’s not just just these 4 games. But in these 4 games.. sorry but we’ve picked some right sh*te. Absolutely kidding ourselves and fallen into the country’s own hype.

Spot on. Kane is miles ahead of anything we’ve got.

Also think Tomori easily looks our best centre half 

20 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Southgate will still be manager going into he World Cup.

And I think that's the right call. But it will be interesting to see how we get on. While on the face of it you can't argue with a semi-final and a final in the last two tournaments, I think we got fortunate with the opposition and we rode our luck at times. And certainly at the business end of the last couple of tournaments Southgate's judgement and tactics have been highly questionable.

I don't think there's some outstanding candidate waiting in the wings to take the England job. 

I do also think it's a bit out of order for Southgate to be subject to "you're getting sacked in the morning" and "don't know what you are doing" 12-months removed from losing a Euro final by penalties...however; that was a really, really, really bad defeat and the sort that can be the beginning of the end for a manager.