England men's fixtures omdt.

Always been a massive England fan - hence the avatar

But i'm struggling to watch them now

I remeber getting negged to death (when they were a thing) for saying that losing to a mediocre Croatia in the WC semi final was a failure - never an easier route to a WC final

I was told how the team was evolving and that we would be x,y,z in the coming years - yep, heard it with The Golden Generation

Seen it all before and seeing it again

Nothing has changed apart from the names

• Like 3

Oh - and still a thing is overrating mediocre players - we are really weak at CB for the biggest stage

I said in the WC - look how many goals we concede from within the width of our posts and in the air.

But we've always been able to roll over some teams - and not delivered when it matters

49 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Under 21 side losing again. Really don’t rate Boothroyd. A very strange team he seems to have selected tonight. 

I just find it utterly staggering that Aidy Boothroyd is the manager of the England U21s. 

What on earth has he done in his career to justify such a position? 

Friends in high places, surely? 

32 minutes ago, scram said:

That's exactly what it is

Football governance and oversight is pathetic

It won't change

Yeah, it is a joke. 

Boothroyd won a promotion with Watford some 15 years ago, playing some of the most god awful football known to man. 

After that, he pretty much failed in every other club job he had and yet he's apparently good enough to manage what is arguably the second most important team in the England international set up. 

This is the man to which we entrust our brightest, up and coming young players? 

2 hours ago, scram said:

Oh - and still a thing is overrating mediocre players - we are really weak at CB for the biggest stage

I said in the WC - look how many goals we concede from within the width of our posts and in the air.

But we've always been able to roll over some teams - and not delivered when it matters

Tbf I think this area is a bit of a concern for a lot of teams at the moment apart from say France who seem to be really strong in defence.

4 hours ago, scram said:

Always been a massive England fan - hence the avatar

But i'm struggling to watch them now

I remeber getting negged to death (when they were a thing) for saying that losing to a mediocre Croatia in the WC semi final was a failure - never an easier route to a WC final

I was told how the team was evolving and that we would be x,y,z in the coming years - yep, heard it with The Golden Generation

Seen it all before and seeing it again

Nothing has changed apart from the names

When did you enjoy watching England regularly? 

4 hours ago, scram said:

Don't think anyone is saying that we are strong at CB, most fans and pundits acknowledge that as a particular weakness at the moment. 

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

I just find it utterly staggering that Aidy Boothroyd is the manager of the England U21s. 

What on earth has he done in his career to justify such a position? 

Friends in high places, surely? 

2nd tournament in a row under Boothroyd that the under 21's have lost their opening two games. He got the gig do to close personal ties with the man who appointed him. That man moved on years ago, why nobody at the FA has since recognised that he has never been qualified for the position and is doing a poor job is beyond me. 

OK, it's not like watching Liverpool last season, or Leicester & Man City on a weekly basis, but look at the following;

Our record under Southgate. We can only beat who we're drawn against in qualifiers.

P     W     D     L     F     A     GD     % WIN

51   31   10   8  107  36    71     70.59

For us people who remember not qualifying for major tournaments, things have improved greatly overall. We've only failed once in 2008 since Turnip Taylor failed in 1994. For the young uns, there's nothing worse than watching an international tournament with no partisan interest.

It's about being efficient and winning any group before & during competitions. Our weakness is knock-out matches. But this applies to a lot of countries too!

Southgate wasn’t the most inspiring choice when appointed but after the way Allardyce’s time in charge ended, it was always the type of appointment the FA were going to make.

He’s done better than expected. He’s got a World Cup semi final on his CV. Only England managers to my knowledge who have that are Ramsey and Robson?

That said the pressure and expectation are starting to increase and as already has been said, our record against the best teams has to improve. I don’t believe it will while ever he persists with safety first football. Let’s face it a front 3 of the likes of Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Foden and Calvert-Lewin. These are options as good as any around in Europe if not the World. If Southgate fluffs this opportunity then it’ll be just as frustrating as missing out on success with the ‘golden generation’?

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

2nd tournament in a row under Boothroyd that the under 21's have lost their opening two games. He got the gig do to close personal ties with the man who appointed him. That man moved on years ago, why nobody at the FA has since recognised that he has never been qualified for the position and is doing a poor job is beyond me. 

“Creating chances and scoring is a big part of what we are”

One shot on target in two games and not a single goal. Sycophantic guff from a bloke desperate to stay on the FA gravy train, whilst plainly out of his depth.

I think we need to stop giving so much credit for the semi final. We didn’t beat anyone we didn’t expect to beat, only beat Colombia on penalties and we should have beaten Croatia. It was such an easy run and we blew it. You can happen to have an easy run sometimes, doesn’t mean you made par.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think we need to stop giving so much credit for the semi final. We didn’t beat anyone we didn’t expect to beat, only beat Colombia on penalties and we should have beaten Croatia. It was such an easy run and we blew it. You can happen to have an easy run sometimes, doesn’t mean you made par.

I’ll have you know we beat the mighty Tunisia with an injury time winner

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Sorry, but that’s not true. Sweden had been a bogey side of ours for years. Going back at least to fat Thomas Brolin. We made them look 3rd division in Samara. 

5 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Sorry, but that’s not true. Sweden had been a bogey side of ours for years. Going back at least to fat Thomas Brolin. We made them look 3rd division in Samara. 

Sweden population 5m are not big hitters and though have caused us problems in the past we should be easily beating them