England men's fixtures omdt.

Guest Mcguigan
39 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Personally , when it comes to England I think Mount is the problem not Foden.

Put Foden in Mount`s position (more creative) and you can go back to two holding.

We don't play two holding though, Rice holds and protects the back four whilst Phillips plays further forward in midfield tackling and winning possession back higher up the pitch, something Foden, Mount and Grealish don't.

I agree about Foden for Mount though. The team pretty much picks itself after that if everyone's available.

Walker     Stones        McGuire     Shaw

Rice

Sterling     Phillips   Foden      Grealish

Kane

44 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Personally , when it comes to England I think Mount is the problem not Foden.

Put Foden in Mount`s position (more creative) and you can go back to two holding.

Well they all have to take a share of the blame when they underperform. I agree Mount hasn’t been playing well either but feel he is a huge prospect for us just like Foden is.

I don’t think we need more than 2 creative players so 1 of that 3 needs to stay on the bench. Then should be a slot for a goal scoring wide player such as Sterling/Sancho/Rashford.

Striker is our weakest area currently but I think Abraham will come good to push Kane. We should stop messing with the likes of Watkins, he’s just not good enough, I’d rather give Ivan Toney a chance.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Maybe Hungary just did a job on us?

Defended with 11 behind the ball, closed us down & played on the break. Still baffled why they time wasted when a win would have kept them in with a sniff of second place. 

Hungary were excellent

Really impressed with them and the way they were playing between our lines and finding gaps must be the only reason we brought Henderson on - it was a compliment to them really

Can kind of see Southgate's reasoning at that point of the match - protect the point rather than risk it while going for the win

Ultimately it's all about qualifying - nobody cares how it's done really as long as we get there

And you don't get style points for the way you play

Very nearly job done so can't really complain

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scram said:

Hungary were excellent

Really impressed with them and the way they were playing between our lines and finding gaps must be the only reason we brought Henderson on - it was a compliment to them really

Can kind of see Southgate's reasoning at that point of the match - protect the point rather than risk it while going for the win

Ultimately it's all about qualifying - nobody cares how it's done really as long as we get there

Agree. Thanks to our earlier performances, we’re still in the driving seat, with the San Marino trump card as our last match.

Decent day out & parts of the M1 being shut just adds to the fun on the way home. 

18 minutes ago, scram said:

Hungary were excellent

I wouldn’t say they were excellent, they needed to win. Their job isn’t to hold us to a draw. It was a little weird.

37 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Thing is, who do you bring Mount off for? We play with wing backs so saka or Sancho wouldn’t have worked as they’re wingers. 

The only one I can think of is JWP

Surely should be looking to change our shape of our tactics aren’t working well?

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I wouldn’t say they were excellent, they needed to win. Their job isn’t to hold us to a draw. It was a little weird.

I didn’t watch your game but to be fair getting a point at Wembley with your record in qualifiers was decent for Hungary. England will qualify and that’s all that matters for you guys.

We were also pish last night against the Faroes but like the Danes we got a late winner there and got the 3 points. It’s the result that matters. 

13 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I didn’t watch your game but to be fair getting a point at Wembley with your record in qualifiers was decent for Hungary. England will qualify and that’s all that matters for you guys.

We were also pish last night against the Faroes but like the Danes we got a late winner there and got the 3 points. It’s the result that matters. 

They really need to win though is the point I am making. A point for them isn’t enough so not sure why they played for the draw.

good on Scotland, you have a bit of quality now, do you have a crunch game against Czechia? 

Perhaps it was typical that Southgate veers away from his safety first mantra and England put in one of their worst performances for ages. Totally bemused with his decision to take Grealish off. Was the player most likely to make things happen for us on the night.

That said Hungary don’t get the penalty and they don’t score. 9/10 referees don’t give that in my opinion. Still think Shaw was unlucky with the decision.

Totally expecting Southgate to go with Philips (If fit), Rice and Mount against Albania even though I think Foden should get Mount’s place. Still in our own hands but last night was disappointing.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They really need to win though is the point I am making. A point for them isn’t enough so not sure why they played for the draw.

good on Scotland, you have a bit of quality now, do you have a crunch game against Czechia? 

I know what you mean in terms of Hungary needing to win the game and them needing the points but realistically you’ve won almost every home qualifier for years. Hungary getting a win was incredibly unlikely.

If we win one of our last 2, against bottom of the table Moldova, or Denmark at Hampden then we will be seeded for the playoffs. We’re a better team nowadays but still a lot of work to do to qualify!

3 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I know what you mean in terms of Hungary needing to win the game and them needing the points but realistically you’ve won almost every home qualifier for years. Hungary getting a win was incredibly unlikely.

If we win one of our last 2, against bottom of the table Moldova, or Denmark at Hampden then we will be seeded for the playoffs. We’re a better team nowadays but still a lot of work to do to qualify!

I just don't see why it's such a big deal for them to draw at the expense of them going out. Maybe getting a draw in England is a big celebration in Hungary.

I think you could beat Denmark, seems pretty equal between you

I read the tables wrong earlier lol 

9 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Did I hear right that Denmark haven’t conceded a goal yet EO? 
Maybe their appearance in the euro semis wasn’t a fluke. 

1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

Did I hear right that Denmark haven’t conceded a goal yet EO? 
Maybe their appearance in the euro semis wasn’t a fluke. 

You’re right the Danes haven’t conceded yet and they looked a very good side in Copenhagen. Very solid. We didn’t trouble them much and in all honesty they won comfortably. We were missing a load of players in the away leg though (injuries and Covid) and other than the 2 minute spell where we conceded 2 goals we held our own.

I don’t think their Euros was a fluke, they ran you close in the semis too, they’re definitely a half decent side. But equally I think we will score against them at Hampden and possibly get a result. Like you guys we don’t lose many qualifiers at home. Fingers crossed anyway!

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I just don't see why it's such a big deal for them to draw at the expense of them going out. Maybe getting a draw in England is a big celebration in Hungary.

I think you could beat Denmark, seems pretty equal between you

I read the tables wrong earlier lol 

I’m hoping we will have done what we need to do before the Denmark game but I agree I think we can get a result.

We have to match or beat Israel’s result on matchday 9 to guarantee our playoff and Israel have a much tougher game. We have bottom of the table Moldova away and Israel are in Vienna. Even the Faroes beat Moldova!

The Israelis have 2 or 3 very good forwards but the rest of their team is a much lower standard. Defensively Israel are very weak and the Austrians have a bit of pride to play for. We might not even need to win either of our last two games depending on how Israel do in Vienna.

Austria have been dreadful this campaign but they will still have the playoff too through the Nations League. We might even get Austria again in the playoff. Our potential opponents are Austria, Wales, Ukraine, Romania, Norway and Czechia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

But the wing backs aren’t the problem so you can’t exactly haul them off 

Haul them off is an extreme choice of words.

Managers bring off players for tactical reasons all the time. Nothing wrong with it. If we’re all honest, it’s probably Southgates biggest downfall. We freeze and, tend not to be able to alter our approach mid game.

We were poor but Hungary really upped their game from when we played them last month. They were organised and carried a threat on the break. 

That being said Sterling looked miles off the pace, Walker looked asleep, Foden got crowded out and Rice looked lost. Kane is obviously still not happy. He doesn't want to be at Spurs and his form is appalling. Also Sterling is not getting game time at City but people saying he's "been terrible for ages" must have missed the Euros when he was one of the best players in the tournament.

26 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

We were poor but Hungary really upped their game from when we played them last month. They were organised and carried a threat on the break. 

That being said Sterling looked miles off the pace, Walker looked asleep, Foden got crowded out and Rice looked lost. Kane is obviously still not happy. He doesn't want to be at Spurs and his form is appalling. Also Sterling is not getting game time at City but people saying he's "been terrible for ages" must have missed the Euros when he was one of the best players in the tournament.

Agreed - too many players had an off-night - it happens

But can't say you were impressed with Hungary because they didn't win a game they had very little chance of winniing

Apparently...

31 minutes ago, scram said:

Agreed - too many players had an off-night - it happens

But can't say you were impressed with Hungary because they didn't win a game they had very little chance of winniing

Apparently...

My frustration isn’t with the players - as you point out, players do have bad days; my frustration stems from Southgate subbing of the one player that was creating things by getting behind the Hungarian defence. I think all of Southgate’s players are quality but Southgate’s tactics and decisions during a game are baffling at times and Tuesday night’s decision was no exception to this.