Tony Pulis previous comments on how Championship clubs should be built

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, FinnishOwl said:

All our managers apart from Bruce followed the exact the same trend -- everything seemed to click at first but then something (Christmas?) happened. And once it starts to happen, at Wednesday it's unstoppable. Here's hoping that Pulis can avoid that curse. And no, I'm not hoping that we'll be crap right from the start.

Nothing happened apart from Monk dropped Westwood and Hutchinson, and Fletcher picked up an injury. I know Westwood didn’t play for a month or so before that but Dawson couldn’t drop standards knowing he wasn’t number 1.. that changed when Westwood got bombed out. Ditching Hutchinson left us weak in the middle. Losing Fletcher who was our main goalscorer killed us.

Reality is prior to that we’d been poor as well, just having the above players involved meant we fell on the right side of the margins. Without them we were very much on the wrong side of the margins, then confidence goes and it snowballs

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Sova said:

He certainly didn't get Stoke into the Premier League overnight. In fact, it took him so long he went and managed another club along the way. And his 3rd (2nd full) season with them was one of the most boring in history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_Stoke_City_F.C._season

Tbh it does kind of feel like he makes you competitive whatever the situation but he doesn’t have massive promotion pedigree.

Will be interesting to see what happens if he plays for 1-0s with us and our tendency to drop points in the last 5 mins 

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

If you look at it - every single tiny shred of evidence (whether it be Pulis record, our spending ability, our squad etc) points to that not being possible

lol

Pullis record? You mean never finishing below 7th in the championship in the last decade?

And I thought records at previous clubs didn’t mean anything?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sova said:

He certainly didn't get Stoke into the Premier League overnight. In fact, it took him so long he went and managed another club along the way. And his 3rd (2nd full) season with them was one of the most boring in history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_Stoke_City_F.C._season

I bet Stoke fans really hated getting promoted then punching about their weight for so long under Pulis. 

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
17 hours ago, whowantstoberich said:

I think there is going to be a lot of panic buying of humble pie next year when we are in the play offs with Pulis in charge!

The Lg1 play offs should be the minimum requirement next season, anything else will be a failure.

25 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I bet Stoke fans really hated getting promoted then punching about their weight for so long under Pulis. 

I'm sure they did. But the point is that it took them a long time, and they had to be very patient getting there. Which is what Pulis is getting at in the OP. (To be fair to him, he got Gillingham from near the bottom of the league to promotion in his first season, though that was even longer ago.) 

14 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I’ve always said that our players don’t play for a full season... basically they ‘down tools’ somewhere along the way. 

Never bought into this view personally. Lots of people used to claim this was the case and it was a hangover from the Carlos days where there wasn't much discipline.

Monk was to sort this by bringing in hard workers who would give their all. But already this season there has been plenty of accusations that players havent been committed enough. 

Its something that's trotted out every time there is a poor performance or run of form.