Jack charlton and Tony Pulis

7 hours ago, Gresh said:

Jack Charlton took over a Wednesday team near the bottom of the table and turned them around by playing tough, direct, no nonsense, uncompromising football eventually leading to promotion and a team to be proud of.

Could Pulis be our modern day Jack Charlton?

In short, yes he could.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Pulis is his own man. Big Jack was a unique character in the game back in a different era when the game had characters. Big Jack had an aura about him, after being a World Cup winner, he was a very good manager, that made average players and teams, better than what they were. Can Pulis do something similar here to the likes of Big Jack and Sgt Wilko? Possibly but he'd do it his own way.

He's got the experience to do it but I feel he'll have to adapt more to the modern Championship, much like Bruce and Warnock have done. If Pulis, could keep us up, stabilise us and eventually get us pushing towards promotion during his reign, even despite his style of football, he'd become a club hero if he could bring the good times back. I think he'd have known that when accepting the job, whoever eventually gets us back up would become a  modern hero or legend, like Bielsa at Leeds for example. 

I think this is right. So many people in the past have said one day someone is going to turn this club round and be a hero.  Pulls could just be that man

Lets all hope so and get behind the team 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Charlton will have had the ex World Cup winner effect too.

But I can see the comparisons in that we aren’t in a great position and Pulis hasn’t finished any lower than 7th in this league for over a decade so he could be seen as taking more of a risk than us.

But it’s interesting that so many of our most well remembered managers were quite robust in their approach yet the reaction to Pulis would suggest otherwise. I wasn’t at all sure at first mainly as he has been a comical character at times on MOTD but when you actually research him and listen to him speak about things it changed my mind. He has that authority about him. 

Ultimately though, we have got a few clean sheets already this season. We need goals.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Gresh said:

Jack Charlton took over a Wednesday team near the bottom of the table and turned them around by playing tough, direct, no nonsense, uncompromising football eventually leading to promotion and a team to be proud of.

Could Pulis be our modern day Jack Charlton?

I think everyone needs to calm down and just take every game at a time.