Football snobbery..

Guest Therealrealist

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Very true re Klopp
The running through/from Greno Woods for me is a symbolic gimmick though and not something that would significantly improve fitness compared to what could really be done in the gym/on the training ground.

I agree and fitness methods are far more scientific. However hard work running and building aerobic fitness is what is needed to ensure that teams can maintain a high tempo for 90 minutes. There was always a reason we would drop off in matches and fitness was the cause.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

No don’t like tennis..I liked megsons Wednesday..all about 7 foot and I liked all the opposition fans cryin and bellyaching about being bullied by orrible Wednesday etc etc

I’m not against hoof ball . Sometimes a scrappy , direct battle is fun to watch . Having said that , you can’t say Barcelona were boring to watch then megsons brand of football was fun. It was painful, eye bleeding and incredibly boring to watch , even when winning 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Just my opinion, but I don’t want to watch boring crap football.

I’m not expecting us to play quality football either, or some tika-taka nonsense. Just some half decent players who want to attack and score goals. It’s not hard to get at this level now on a budget. Teams in lower leagues can play decent stuff now. The majority in this thread sound like football dinosaurs. The game isn’t the same anymore. You can’t rough up opposition, kick the sh*t out of them etc. You just get punished.

There was a time when the only option was going to or watching the football. Pandemic aside there’s dozens of things I and many others now choose to do rather than watch Wednesday.

The majority of us don’t get much free time whether it be working, looking after children, caring for elderly relatives, whatever. There’s no way when things are heading back to normality I’ll decide to watch us play absolutely dire football and pay for the pleasure. I want to enjoy my life and free time, not be wound up, annoyed, frustrated and bored. 

No doubt some idiot will be a long to say go and support Man City, when we all know it doesn’t work like this. I’ve had season tickets in the prem, championship and went to plenty of games in league one too. You don’t stop supporting Wednesday, or caring. You do however fall out of the habit of caring as much and watching or going to the games. They have extensive highlights on YouTube now. I know if there wasn’t a pandemic going on I wouldn’t have watched any games this season (I’ve watched them all), I’d have found something I preferred to do with my time.

It’s all each to their own, but long term playing turgid football will be detrimental to the club. I’ve already seen plenty of fans on here talking about letting their kids support bigger clubs because watching us is depressing and makes your eyes bleed.

I’m sorry, but it’s 2020. Football isn’t just about winning anymore.

Agree with this.  I want us to play attacking football and be entertained.  I’m sick of the mentality of nicking a goal and trying to defend a lead. If you are 1-0 why not attack and get another to kill the game off.

As for tikka takka, that’s not my style.  I much preferred the Man Utd team of the early 1990s with the likes of Kanchelskis attacking and ripping teams to shreds. However, if Pulis can recreate the excitement from the early Wilkinson era I would take that now in a heartbeat. Nothing wrong with long balls and crosses into the box provided it is done in the right way and not just hit and hope.  

Whether Pulis’ team can do that, I doubt as his style in the past has been very defensive.  But I’ll wait and see and give him a clean slate.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I never understand this way of thinking. How do we expect to produce good footballers if this is a coaches mentality? As an attacking ploy, the way Pulis uses it anyway, it’s a blunt instrument. There are more precise ways of creating and scoring goals, than just lumping into the mix as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

The aim of this season is to finish outside of the relegation zone. That would constitute as a success for me and for most sane fans.

Let’s remember that we have a squad that is not set up to be pleasing on the eye. We don’t have the players to pass sides to death.

We are a pulis side on paper and currently second bottom with a 1/4 of the season gone. There are a few games before the transfer window opens. So it’s a case of rolling our sleeves up and scrapping for every point possible with the tools we have.

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I never understand this way of thinking. How do we expect to produce good footballers if this is a coaches mentality? As an attacking ploy, the way Pulis uses it anyway, it’s a blunt instrument. There are more precise ways of creating and scoring goals, than just lumping into the mix as soon as possible.

The long ball is as much about creating the chance of set pieces I think. A high percentage of Pulis goals are from corners, throw ins and free kicks. The long ball is like kicking to gain ground in rugby. 

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You're in denial as much as Megson was when he was (rightly) booted out of Sheffield Wednesday on his  backside and replaced with someone who could do the job and get us promoted

The players agreed too as they immediately kicked into action once the shackles were lifted

New manager syndrome. Soon disappeared the next season tho, dinnit!.

Just Like Carlos, one season wonder.

One of the main faults wit any football today is its complete fascination with STATISTICS, especially possession. 

Break it down and football is a simple game. There is one aim and that is to legally hit the back of your opponent's goal more than they hit yours.. To do this , you need a strong defence and a strong striker.The only statistics that matter are Points Scored, and Goal Difference. 

8 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

How is that when teams like Liverpool or Arsenal Man city hit  a 40 yd ball it's a cultred pass, but any other team hit's the same pass with the same result it's "Hoofball"?.

Any way, why play to you opponents strengths rather than you own strengths.?

There is no difference, if it is a 40 yard pass. If though, it’s just a long punt into the mix for the big striker to challenge for, then it’s hoof ball, whether it’s Liverpool, Arsenal or one of Tony Pulis’s sides. 
The problem is, if that is your main form of attack, it’s a bit predictable, and ignores too many other avenues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

The long ball is as much about creating the chance of set pieces I think. A high percentage of Pulis goals are from corners, throw ins and free kicks. The long ball is like kicking to gain ground in rugby. 

And also reducing risk.

The more you pass the ball about in your own half the more chance you have of giving it away.

A lot of goals are conceded by giving the ball away as we are seeing with the current fad of playing the ball out from the keeper.

16 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

That’s what’s at play here...it’s pathetic..what’s wrong with gettin it in mixer ASAP? Peps Barcelona used to send my glass eye to sleep..3000 passes when 3 wud av done..we are never goin to score whilst fannyin about with it nea4 the centre circle..win at preston(where we always get bummed) and most people will be on board..believe you me

Nothing wrong with attacking play but dont make out TP sets out teams to play that way because he does not. Its all about stifling the opposition and nicking games from dead ball situations. History proves that. Now we might get results that way, but many teams can overcome those tactics. The game has moved on, of course its about results and sincerely  hope TP proves us wrong as I would be delighted even if bored by the football. All I can see us going back to signing 6ft journeymen, but we will see. I will support him but really not impressed.

54 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

One of the main faults wit any football today is its complete fascination with STATISTICS, especially possession. 

Break it down and football is a simple game. There is one aim and that is to legally hit the back of your opponent's goal more than they hit yours.. To do this , you need a strong defence and a strong striker.The only statistics that matter are Points Scored, and Goal Difference. 

I agree results are important but I also like to feel I have seen a good game of football.

Do a dull job all week and want to watch an entertaining game on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

So no John Sheridans, No Chris Waddles etc?

Owlstalk Shop