Football snobbery..

Guest Therealrealist

2 minutes ago, cartman said:

I've been going since 86.... These moaning that it won't be as entertaining  as what they are used to must have only turned up for the Atkinson and Carlos seasons and being in a lapdancing club for the rest.... 

🤣

I started going in 1965...

I can count on one hand the number of proper good footballing Wednesday sides.

And nope i ain't from Barnsley..

Seen a few more exciting seasons though.

So odds are this season will be 1/6 same as usual.

😒

• Like 2

I would rather finish as high as possible in the league being entertained by a team who try and play football. Players who don't need to kick lumps out the the opposition to impose themselves on the game, This can be done without a massive outlay in the transfer market too.

If the only way to finish high up the league was to play kick and rush then why aren't all the previously promoted teams kick and rush merchants? Our neighbours played decent football to get out of this league, Brentford have been very close to promotion playing a passing style, Fulham were a good side to watch too. Hoof ball isn't an easy route to success or all the top teams would be buying big carthorses to lump the ball up to or banging it into the corners to chase.

People moan and about us missing the boat with Jamie Vardy and his physic costing him a contract are advocating going down the same path with Pulis and his Anti-Football set of Big lumps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

What’s the Revie years got to do with landing bielsa? They’ve got a dynamic owner who went out and snaffled a decent coach...agree about 5he gruntbags tho...utd are down so that’s good and if bielsa doesn’t change his style Leeds will also be down..and that’s good..we cud be on the way up

What I meant is that Leeds are a much higher-profile club than we are.

That's largely because of their history.

I doubt we would have been able to attract a Bielsa.

6 hours ago, Prince said:

If the only way to finish high up the league was to play kick and rush then why aren't all the previously promoted teams kick and rush 

The long ball game played by pulis is a bit more than kick and rush  ..its a regimented way of playing that wins more games than loses IF the players follow what they are drilled to do . 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

The long ball game played by pulis is a bit more than kick and rush  ..its a regimented way of playing that wins more games than loses IF the players follow what they are drilled to do . 

Basically 6 defenders behind the ball, When you have the ball kick it into the corners to try and win set pieces. 

Teams sussed it out years ago and it’s dire to watch,

I prefer to watch footballers.

• Like 3

Just my opinion, but I don’t want to watch boring crap football.

I’m not expecting us to play quality football either, or some tika-taka nonsense. Just some half decent players who want to attack and score goals. It’s not hard to get at this level now on a budget. Teams in lower leagues can play decent stuff now. The majority in this thread sound like football dinosaurs. The game isn’t the same anymore. You can’t rough up opposition, kick the sh*t out of them etc. You just get punished.

There was a time when the only option was going to or watching the football. Pandemic aside there’s dozens of things I and many others now choose to do rather than watch Wednesday.

The majority of us don’t get much free time whether it be working, looking after children, caring for elderly relatives, whatever. There’s no way when things are heading back to normality I’ll decide to watch us play absolutely dire football and pay for the pleasure. I want to enjoy my life and free time, not be wound up, annoyed, frustrated and bored. 

No doubt some idiot will be a long to say go and support Man City, when we all know it doesn’t work like this. I’ve had season tickets in the prem, championship and went to plenty of games in league one too. You don’t stop supporting Wednesday, or caring. You do however fall out of the habit of caring as much and watching or going to the games. They have extensive highlights on YouTube now. I know if there wasn’t a pandemic going on I wouldn’t have watched any games this season (I’ve watched them all), I’d have found something I preferred to do with my time.

It’s all each to their own, but long term playing turgid football will be detrimental to the club. I’ve already seen plenty of fans on here talking about letting their kids support bigger clubs because watching us is depressing and makes your eyes bleed.

I’m sorry, but it’s 2020. Football isn’t just about winning anymore.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

You do realise we havnt got a Ronald?? We have got a crap middle of the road squad..we cudnt play like Leeds last season..they wud be knackered after 20 mins...there’s an old sayin..horses for courses..

We could have hurried and chased like Leeds if we were fit enough - that has been one of the biggest hinderances for years at Hillsborough that our players aren't fit enough to play high tempo football

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

We could have hurried and chased like Leeds if we were fit enough - that has been one of the biggest hinderances for years at Hillsborough that our players aren't fit enough to play high tempo football

When do you think we were at our absolute peak fitness wise?

In my mind it was under WIlkinson or Megson but as always my memory is pants so there could have been other times, but to me that's my perception?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

When do you think we were at our absolute peak fitness wise?

In my mind it was under WIlkinson or Megson but as always my memory is pants so there could have been other times, but to me that's my perception?

Totally agree that under Wilkinson we were the fittest team in the league and I had a chat with John Pearson about this and he said he took them to a different level from even Big Jack. Meggo was bred in the Wilko style of management so he did the same with his players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

Totally agree that under Wilkinson we were the fittest team in the league and I had a chat with John Pearson about this and he said he took them to a different level from even Big Jack. Meggo was bred in the Wilko style of management so he did the same with his players.

Yeah that's how I remember it too

I wonder how much it takes away from the footballing side to get your players in peak fitness like that, and vice versa I wonder how much it takes away from the fitness side of it to prioritise footballing side of things.

Would be great to see a fully fit side of players committed to the cause (which is what we're promised but rarely/never delivered by most managers)

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah that's how I remember it too

I wonder how much it takes away from the footballing side to get your players in peak fitness like that, and vice versa I wonder how much it takes away from the fitness side of it to prioritise footballing side of things.

Would be great to see a fully fit side of players committed to the cause (which is what we're promised but rarely/never delivered by most managers)

Wilko used to have a day in the week where all they did was fitness and they would be dropped off up Greno woods way and have to run back to the training ground. Proper pre-seasons are where the core fitness needs to be hammered home and you see this with rugby teams and even some football teams going to military establishments for a proper fitness and team building week.

Match fitness is gained very obviously by playing games but just look at the change in fitness ethos that Klopp brought at Liverpool they are head and shoulders fitter than they were under Brendan Rogers. It can be done but the manager needs to hammer this home.

• Thanks 1

What I don’t get( and pull is was certainly not my choice of manager) is the dwindling band who supported monk seem to be the most vociferous against Pullis. We have endured a year of the worst football and results for a long long time. If we had sacked Big Ron to replace him with pullis I could understand the angst. But we are replacing a manager who played crap football and got crap results with one that plays crap football but gets results. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plonk said:

What I don’t get( and pull is was certainly not my choice of manager) is the dwindling band who supported monk seem to be the most vociferous against Pullis. We have endured a year of the worst football and results for a long long time. If we had sacked Big Ron to replace him with pullis I could understand the angst. But we are replacing a manager who played crap football and got crap results with one that plays crap football but gets results. 

I totally agree but I think that the message from most sensible fans is that the appointment is 'Underwhelming'.  What we have got is a proven safe set of hands and only time will tell if that is the right approach. 

From some of the rumours I've been us staying up could see us being sold in the summer - As I've said only time will tell

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Wilko used to have a day in the week where all they did was fitness and they would be dropped off up Greno woods way and have to run back to the training ground. Proper pre-seasons are where the core fitness needs to be hammered home and you see this with rugby teams and even some football teams going to military establishments for a proper fitness and team building week.

Match fitness is gained very obviously by playing games but just look at the change in fitness ethos that Klopp brought at Liverpool they are head and shoulders fitter than they were under Brendan Rogers. It can be done but the manager needs to hammer this home.

Very true re Klopp
The running through/from Greno Woods for me is a symbolic gimmick though and not something that would significantly improve fitness compared to what could really be done in the gym/on the training ground.

Owlstalk Shop