Does Pulis really not favour “ball-playing” midfielders like Bannan?

3 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Been saying this a while , he still wants to play like he’s playing with lee , ff and hooper. Unfortunately for him and us the players aren’t to that standard anymore and he should change his game accordingly. That sounds harsh but it’s what good players do. 

I'm sure Monk wanted us to mix it up with short passing and long balls.  The first half vs Bournemouth the players were trying their best to get a passing game going.  But as we saw maybe they're just not good enough. The amount of simple mistakes and giving the ball away has been crazy this season. And the passing under Carlos was exceptional for two seasons.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I certainly think he's going to get the shortest honeymoon period of any manager in a long, long time.

People will be sat back waiting to jump in.

Already are really, and he hasn't picked a side yet. 

Or taken a look at the players, or taken a training session.  It'd be the same whoever was the manager, because we have this feeling of entitlement .  Quite surprised DC doesn't ask the fans to nominate their 4 best choices, but we know it would be 25% for each one - it's the Wednesday supporters' way ....I'm with TP for now, he'll stick an iron rod into the team, which is what will keep us up.

8 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I'm sure Monk wanted us to mix it up with short passing and long balls.  The first half vs Bournemouth the players were trying their best to get a passing game going.  But as we saw maybe they're just not good enough. The amount of simple mistakes and giving the ball away has been crazy this season. And the passing under Carlos was exceptional for two seasons.

Exactly , Bannan is clearly our best technical and most influential player but we’ve all seen how frustrated he gets , with his arm waving and stuff. For him to remain effective for us he’ll need to slightly change his game. The game is littered with players who have done so and remained prominent . I’m confident he’ll play a big part under Pulis. 

1 hour ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

When Bannan first arrived his game was just as much about his running and interplay around the box and support play as it was about his passing.  I think he’s lost this a bit and Pulis might actually do him some good. 

This exactly! 

loved watching Bannan in that first season, often coming in from the left and causing mischief in and around the box. Far more effective and enjoyable to watch than seeing him sat on the centre halves’ toes where he’s been for the last three years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

He literally told him that in a relegation fight he wasn’t the man for the job. Maybe that should introduce a touch of doubt.

lol

Different league , different players different circumstances . I think pulis will play Bannan and he’ll be a big influence on our results in the next few months . 

• Like 1

From what I read on Pulis's tactics he likes the ball forward quickly. If he stops Bannan from demanding the ball from defenders before giving it straoght back to them without even looking up to see what his options are, then he will get my eternal thanks. If he stops Bannan taking corners and free kicks I'll be even more grateful.

Bannan can be a great player for us but he does have some bad habits. Our managers must see them but they don't do anything to rectify them.Maybe Pulis will.

• Like 1

Bannan is class but you can tell which teams have set up to keep him quiet in training because a lot of games he can be non existent for us and that’s because most team have probably said over the years keep Bannan quiet and Wednesday will be quiet . Then you have those sides who don’t and Bannan tears them apart but unfortunately that doesn’t happen very often. 

Edited by stocksyuto

Bannan was effectively demoted by Pulis after he arrived as boss in November 2013, and the midfielder revealed the way he was told.

He grabbed me in, halfway through the season and was like if I was managing a team that was going to play football then you'd be the first one in my team. "But he said 'we're fighting for our lives'.

To be honest, I don't mind that. If you're going to pull me in and give me that reason I don't mind. I knew from then on, it wasn't going to be the club for me."

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

He grabbed me in, halfway through the season and was like if I was managing a team that was going to play football then you'd be the first one in my team. "But he said 'we're fighting for our lives'. 

Exactly

• We're halfway through the season
  • We're fighting for our lives

Bye bye Barry

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

When he was at Palace he was in a higher league with better players in his squad.

He’s not going to drop Bannan in a league he excels in for a player that’s not as good. 

That’s your assumption. You may be right but the facts are, in a relegation battle Pulis decided his team weren’t going to play football and therefore Bannan wasn’t going to play. There are parallels. 

17 hours ago, prowl said:

From what I read on Pulis's tactics he likes the ball forward quickly. If he stops Bannan from demanding the ball from defenders before giving it straoght back to them without even looking up to see what his options are, then he will get my eternal thanks. If he stops Bannan taking corners and free kicks I'll be even more grateful.

Bannan can be a great player for us but he does have some bad habits. Our managers must see them but they don't do anything to rectify them.Maybe Pulis will.

Who do we have who takes a better dead-ball than Bannan?

Brown looks so-so but rarely plays.

Windass seems to have a decent shot from a free-kick but haven’t seen much from corners or crossing free-kicks.

One thing is for sure - dead balls are a huge part of Pulisball. He’ll ensure they are taken by our best and most threatening taker.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Bannan is our best long passer.

He's also capable of playing on the left.

Whilst it seems unlikely he'll figure from the outside looking in, it might not be the curtain closing that we surmise.

I said in another thread he played most of his career out wide left at all his other clubs. Carlos when we were flying up top stil preferred hutch & Lee in the middle. Hence why I think that Pulis will do the same which personally I prefer for multiple reasons. 

1) he dosent drop so deep. 

2) he has more time and space on the ball. 

3) he dosent weaken us in the centre. 

4) he's a very good crosser of the ball, a bit like a cut price Beckham he dosent beat the man he curls it around him. 

5) I also think he would get the best out of penney or an attack minded fullback overlapping him playing balls down the flank. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Who do we have who takes a better dead-ball than Bannan?

Brown looks so-so but rarely plays.

Windass seems to have a decent shot from a free-kick but haven’t seen much from corners or crossing free-kicks.

One thing is for sure - dead balls are a huge part of Pulisball. He’ll ensure they are taken by our best and most threatening taker.

You would think that among 10 professional footballers one of them would be able to take a decent corner or free kick. It's not that much to ask that a pro player can put the ball in to the penalty spot,front or back post and that they can alter the pace and angle of the ball.

OK we can definitely rule Pelupessy out of contention, he couldn't even keep the ball in play.

The other thing we are dreadful at is throw ins, Paterson has his long throw but seems to have stopped using it. Apart from that we have the taker and one player showing for the ball, everyone else stands around with their fingers up their arris. No movement, nothing. Other clubs have 3 players showing for the ball and darting around trying to make space. It's such a simple thing to get right but we never have.

I'd better shut up now before I go off on one.lol