Does Pulis really not favour “ball-playing” midfielders like Bannan?

He had Charlie Adam at Stoke who was creative. I guess he’ll look and see what else Bannan has to offer over the next week. I’ve though that Bannan can often be our best player on occasion but also our weakest link on others. Pulis will spot what’s right and wrong for him in no time at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I doubt he signed Glen Whelan for his ball-playing skills

Then why did Pulis sign him? Whelan was a ball-playing midfielder that played the "anchor" role.  He had a bit of spite in him but he was hardly a ball winner or a box-to-box midfielder - he was little else other than a ball-playing midfielder. 

• Like 1

We must have a different view of what a ball-playing midfielder is. I would regard Whelan as more of a ball-winner. Win the ball and give it to someone more talented. I think it was Sturrock who got Whelan to cut out his attempts at Hollywood balls because he was more suited to just playing short passes to team-mates. I'll be surprised if there aren't other players that Pulis signed or played that were better known for their ball-playing skills. 

34 minutes ago, shandypants said:

The signings of Glenn Whelan and Charlie Adam seem to indicate otherwise. 

I wish we had both those players in their heyday playing for us, we would not be in the position we are in now.

Midfield has been the soft underbelly of SWFC for the last 5 seasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davethemagicweasel said:

Someone's gotta take the set pieces, it's the other 10 who need to be giants. 

Please not Bannan. We truly need to put someone else on set play delivery.

As regards playing and a new contract, I think he will play every game. Pulis will look to him for leadership and he will sign a new contract. He has made his affection for the club clear. I don’t think Pulis changes that one iota.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Bannan is our best long passer.

He's also capable of playing on the left.

Whilst it seems unlikely he'll figure from the outside looking in, it might not be the curtain closing that we surmise.

Agree... People are just trying really hard to look for any issues that may arise during his tenure. It’s almost like most of our fans want this club to fail just so they can relax in their armchairs saying ‘I told you so’. 

Its a joke.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Agree... People are just trying really hard to look for any issues that may arise during his tenure. It’s almost like most of our fans want this club to fail just so they can relax in their armchairs saying ‘I told you so’. 

Its a joke.

I certainly think he's going to get the shortest honeymoon period of any manager in a long, long time.

People will be sat back waiting to jump in.

Already are really, and he hasn't picked a side yet. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I certainly think he's going to get the shortest honeymoon period of any manager in a long, long time.

People will be sat back waiting to jump in.

Already are really, and he hasn't picked a side yet. 

Given his reputation that’s only to be expected. Chansiri will reap what he sows. 

8 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Its a joke.

It’s almost like.....but it isn’t. It’s fans wanting a touch of entertainment for once in a while. 

16 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

When Bannan first arrived his game was just as much about his running and interplay around the box and support play as it was about his passing.  I think he’s lost this a bit and Pulis might actually do him some good. 

I think he still is...But the other players arnt as good as Wallace and FF.

• Like 1