Message from West Brom fans

18 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

With the greatest of respect to him - he's a bit like Ronseal..

He is a fire fighter - good at assessing what works well, what's pear shaped and he'll stamp his own authority on stuff that has to be changed for the good of the club. Not everyone will like what he says - players will be frozen out - and if you go against him, he will hold the grudge and you will not feature. I'm sure you've heard the crap that gets said about Pulis and Gnabry - but doesn't take into account that he was an idle, fat ****** - that is a prime example of doing it his way or you don't feature.

I do not see him as a long term builder of a club - Pulis and his fiercest supporters may disagree - but times have changed and the game has moved forward. His speciality traits are not conducive to winning promotion - there is only so far that discipline and organisation will take you - as Middlesbrough found out. If his sides were to open up, they lose those hallmark Pulis traits that he craves and built his reputation on. He prefers industry and discipline to general flamboyance. He would prefer a Craig Gardner to Nacer Chadli. A Jon Walters to a Tuncay. 

The other point to long term building can be simplified into the following categories:

- the cost - football prices for the average fan have increased ten fold and supporters expect the quality to improve with that. The idea of free flowing football sounds far more attractive than attritional football at £40.00 a pop. 
- social media - there is now a hot bed for criticism and a small minority can soon take over into a growing bandwagon.

- Patience - there is none in football nowadays. Fans and boards are quick to react. Social media gives a platform to a lack of patience which is driven by the high costs.

He's a great football bloke, I'd love to have a beer with him - he's a good firefighter, but not someone I'd want as a long term builder due to his divisive style which splits a fan base. In addition to that, given the average span of managers nowadays, there are not many "builders" out there..

Yeah fair

How do players like Chris Brunt fit into his 'style'?

That's always confused me as Chris was never really considered a disciplined hard working player who chases players back etc

Owlstalk Shop

Thanks for the input @Liam_Baggies from what you're saying this could be a period similar to the Megson era. As Megson himself put it, "I got Wednesday going again." He built the foundation - signed Semedo of course - but getting rid of him when we did turned out to be pretty inspired.

Another thing Megson seemed to do well was get players fit. JJ played 90 mins under Megson far more than under other managers (I think). Hopefully Pulis can sort that out as well.

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah fair

That's always confused me as Chris was never really considered a disciplined hard working player who chases players back etc

In Pulis' early tenure he featured at left back.  He provided the aerial ability and height that was missing for Pulis' vision of a back four.

Our previous option was two defenders who never had an eye for defending and would rather get forward. That's a lack of discipline - they never featured again for us. Its why I suspect that Penney, Odubajo and to a lesser extent Van Aken will not feature.

Chris was excellent as he provided excellent set piece delivery which is all Pulis required. We then ended up signing Kieran Gibbs who never seemed the right fit - it is testament to Chris that I think he's probably a better defender than Gibbs.

Brunt speaks very highly of Pulis. Had he hung up his boots I could have seen Brunt maybe joining forces with Pulis as his first foray into coaching. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

All those fans who wanted rid of Monk because he froze players out to then find out we've employed a manager who freezes more players out than Monk tho...

lol

Yeah this is a tricky one. When Monk and Luhukay both did what they did part of me was like, 'Obviously they don't know how to manage different types of characters" but at the same time, if someone is threatening your authority then I guess you need them out the way.

Ultimately this comes down to Chansiri though. If he trusted Monk and Luhukay surely he would have done all he could to get those players out of the club. What message does it send to the U23s when some guy who's not got the right attitude is allowed to train with you? 

• Like 1

Just now, Liam_Baggies said:

In Pulis' early tenure he featured at left back.  He provided the aerial ability and height that was missing for Pulis' vision of a back four.

Our previous option was two defenders who never had an eye for defending and would rather get forward. That's a lack of discipline - they never featured again for us. Its why I suspect that Penney, Odubajo and to a lesser extent Van Aken will not feature.

Chris was excellent as he provided excellent set piece delivery which is all Pulis required. We then ended up signing Kieran Gibbs who never seemed the right fit - it is testament to Chris that I think he's probably a better defender than Gibbs.

Brunt speaks very highly of Pulis. Had he hung up his boots I could have seen Brunt maybe joining forces with Pulis as his first foray into coaching. 

Chris Brunt at left back
Freezing players out

Our fans are going to have a full on meltdown at this news mate

lol

Owlstalk Shop

I found that to be an excellent post from Liam_Baggies and in some ways quite reassuring.

The most worrying thing for me about possible relegation under Monk was the wage bill ceilings that the EFL are introducing for Leagues 1 & 2.

If Liam_Baggies is right that TP is a really good firefighter then that is what I am hoping for this season.

Relegation to League 1 with EFL wage bill restictions was/is a frightening prospect.

• Like 1

I understood Pulis himself considers this job as kind of a mid-term project. His family is not around and he's old enough to know that he doesn't need to be here forever, something like 1,5 seasons should be enough to install the base for the next one. The big question is, will we see someone like Gardner or whoever he brings in now following from there on.

6 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

It was just a humorous reply mate, but you really do need to get your facts straight mate. Off the top of my head I can think of four of our current squad of players that could play for Nigeria.

Do you call Jack Grealish Irish because he could play for Ireland? I doubt it. But the English lads with Nigerian heritage you call Nigerian? Worth having a look in the mirror on that one.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah fair

Pulis said that Brunt was one of 3 or 4 players at West Brom who could play the ball through the middle...

Just now, slinger208b said:

Pulis said that Brunt was one of 3 or 4 players at West Brom who could play the ball through the middle...

Yeah that's interesting - we never really saw that from him here much

Did he play in centre midfield at all or always out wide? (at West Brom I mean)

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah that's interesting - we never really saw that from him here much

Did he play in centre midfield at all or always out wide? (at West Brom I mean)

I think he meant across midfield as opposed to direct or over the top, like as the middle third , not through the middle...

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah got ya

It was said as like a comparision when talking about his direct style utilising Crouch at Stoke and how he uses players strengths he has at clubs initially to get things going.

Think i confused matters initially by saying "through the middle".

Think I'm right remembering it was part of the full length presser on youtube. It's quite long but I really enjoyed listening to it.

Got my football fires burning again. I'm getting excited.

That's me sold...

Edited by slinger208b

Just now, slinger208b said:

It was said as like a comparision when talking about his direct style utilising Crouch at Stoke and how he uses players he has at clubs initially to get things going.

Think i confused matters initially by saying "through the middle".

Think I'm right remembering it was part of the full length presser on youtube. It's quite long but I really enjoyed listening to it.

Got my football fires burning again. I'm getting excited.

That's me sold...

Yeah same!

He smacks to me of Wilkinson/Charlton/Megson type of bloke - which could make things interesting 

Let's hope the style/standard of football is equally as interesting as his 'bigger than United' and badge kissing straight talk 

Owlstalk Shop

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's hope the style/standard of football is equally as interesting as his 'bigger than United' and badge kissing straight talk 

49 goals in 46 games with a promotion chasing team suggests otherwise. Let’s hope they were unlucky.