Cricket through the winter

32 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Well at this rate India will win by an innings.

10 for 2

Bairstow out for 0

As bad as Wednesday

YJB 6 ducks in his last 9 innings v India. 

Don’t think we’ll be seeing him in the summer 

This will be an innings defeat.

Root gone,  Foakes might hang around but he won't score.

It's been a real career graveyard this tour - plenty here we won't see again for a long while. 

Will just say well done to Lawrence for getting his 50. The only bright light.

England need to learn how to bat  against spin.

Overall I think a lot of behind the scenes stuff was reflected in how the England players responded.

Well done India, though. Pant, Ashwin, and Axar were superb

Just no application in the batting department, I am sure the COVID bubble isn't easy but this has been a poor show after the first test. Someone needs to take a serious look at out test team as we are in for another whitewash in the ashes.

20 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Will just say well done to Lawrence for getting his 50. The only bright light.

England need to learn how to bat  against spin.

Overall I think a lot of behind the scenes stuff was reflected in how the England players responded.

Well done India, though. Pant, Ashwin, and Axar were superb

Win the first test then make 4 changes for the next one. Doesn’t matter for what reasons, that’s not helpful 

• Like 2

Silverwood has said they are going to have the same rotation policy all summer. 

Great.

1 hour ago, jambler said:

Silverwood has said they are going to have the same rotation policy all summer. 

Great.

... and probably onto the Ashes 

There was some debate about how Australia didn’t rotate the fast bowlers against India as a reason why we struggled to bowl them out. They had some interesting stats in regards to Starc and basically his average gets progressively worse from the 1st Test to the 5th Test.

I checked our 3 fast bowlers stats.

Starc averages 24 in the 1st and 2nd Tests and then goes to over 50 in the 5th Test.
Hazlewood is in the 20s in the first 3 and then goes out to over 40 in the 5th Test.

Sexy Cummins stays is as good in the 1st as he is in the 5th.

To me that shows rotation should definitely be considered, even in a rigid way.

Rotating bowlers should absolutely be an option. Pick the correct bowlers for the wicket you are playing on. 

Rotating batsmen is mental. Pick your best top 6 or 7 every game. 

The reason they say they are doing it is because of the bubbles and keeping people mentally fresh. Apparently the real reason is that Morgan has a lot of sway and he wants his best team available all the time in the build-up to the world cup. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, R-Sole14 said:

There was some debate about how Australia didn’t rotate the fast bowlers against India as a reason why we struggled to bowl them out. They had some interesting stats in regards to Starc and basically his average gets progressively worse from the 1st Test to the 5th Test.

I checked our 3 fast bowlers stats.

Starc averages 24 in the 1st and 2nd Tests and then goes to over 50 in the 5th Test.
Hazlewood is in the 20s in the first 3 and then goes out to over 40 in the 5th Test.

Sexy Cummins stays is as good in the 1st as he is in the 5th.

To me that shows rotation should definitely be considered, even in a rigid way.

Many back to back tests in that series?

23 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Many back to back tests in that series?

4 Tests in 5 weeks. Back to back, week off and then back to back.

8 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

4 Tests in 5 weeks. Back to back, week off and then back to back.

Ridiculous. But that’s how it is now - trying to get in as many games as possible 

12 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Ridiculous. But that’s how it is now - trying to get in as many games as possible 

With the bubbles there isa little more pressure to get it done quickly. Although the players were allowed out of their hotels (After the initial 2 week quarantine for India) during the series here.

I think the selectors decided against rotating the fast bowlers because those 4 Tests was basically their workload for the season. In hindsight it wasn't a great decision, especially with a fit James Pattinson in the squad.

Forgot the T20 was on until just now. 

India get 124. Sounds like it was a top bowling performance from England.

With the T20 and ODI teams, I always feel confident we can chase everything, but I do hate the smaller chases. The caught between two stalls type scores. 

Edited by whatevertrevor
59 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

Forgot the T20 was on until just now. 

India get 124. Sounds like it was a top bowling performance from England.

With the T20 and ODI teams, I always feel confident we can chase everything, but I do hate the smaller chases. The caught between two stalls type scores. 

Never allowed India to get started. Brilliant from all the bowlers and Morgan as captain