Cricket through the winter

I think we'll win the 4th test and draw the series 2-2, which at any time is a great result in India, but with the covid bubbles and rotation it will be really praiseworthy. That's a big 'if' of course but something I think we can do. 

1 minute ago, whatevertrevor said:

I think we'll win the 4th test and draw the series 2-2, which at any time is a great result in India, but with the covid bubbles and rotation it will be really praiseworthy. That's a big 'if' of course but something I think we can do. 

If we don’t win this test I don’t want us to win the last one. May as well take Australia down with our shitness.

21 minutes ago, gazzatheowl said:

If we don’t win this test I don’t want us to win the last one. May as well take Australia down with our shitness.

That's always a bonus, but the series wouldn't be over when we lose this, so the 4th wouldn't be a dead rubber, so for me personally, winning that has to supersede taking out the aussies. A 2-2 series draw in India and they'd be no shitness to speak of. 

If anymore evidence were needed about what a farce the game and wicket was.

There was Joe Root, England's most likely source of a revival but in his most unlikely guise, claiming the astonishing figures of 5 for 8 in 6.2 overs, the most economical five-for by a spinner in Test history, and the first by an England captain since Bob Willis in 1983.

Both Kohli and Root suggesting that the problem wasn't so much the pitch as the lacquer on the ball meaning that sometimes it just skidded through.

Essentially gave every spinner an unpickable arm ball because some of their deliveries weren't turning by chance.

Combined with a decent amount of turn for the normal deliveries, pretty difficult to play. Can't pick a bowler who doesn't know what's happening himself. 

21 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Both Kohli and Root suggesting that the problem wasn't so much the pitch as the lacquer on the ball meaning that sometimes it just skidded through.

Essentially gave every spinner an unpickable arm ball because some of their deliveries weren't turning by chance.

Combined with a decent amount of turn for the normal deliveries, pretty difficult to play. Can't pick a bowler who doesn't know what's happening himself. 

It’s quite obvious there was issues with pitch / ball or both. That makes it a lottery, yeh our batsmen aren’t brilliant at playing spin but with those uncertainties in the game it’s a farce. 

But no, India won’t be punished. 

• Like 1

Well, that's the 20-20 over

Now for the 3rd test?

Thing is, the biggest and most expensive cricket stadium anywhere, with a wicket like a 50p cow field. Embarrassing for the Indian organizers. They need to sort things out otherwise Test cricket is being turned into a pointless farce

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

It’s quite obvious there was issues with pitch / ball or both. That makes it a lottery, yeh our batsmen aren’t brilliant at playing spin but with those uncertainties in the game it’s a farce. 

But no, India won’t be punished. 

Would be interesting to know if other pink tests have had a higher than normal proportion of LBWs off spinners. Might be that they're all skidding on more, but it only showed so much here because the 5 balls an over not skidding on were turning a mile.

If it's not happening elsewhere, suggests a problem with the SG pink ball.

• Like 2