Cricket through the winter

On 10/12/2020 at 11:40, Adem Poric said:

Looks like England will have the two Tests in Sri Lanka and then nine against India home and away before the Ashes in the winter. 2021 could be a year of tonkings.

Followed by the Windies (a) which was a planned trip until COVID f*cked all the plans

Where did Kyle Jamieson come from? I watched a bit last night and he's not a youngster (just turned 26), he's not express pace, probably 82-85 mph, but he's tall and gets bounce, moves it both ways with swing and seam and absolutely ruins left handers. He bowls just like an English county seamer. He cant keep this level up but it's an incredible start. New Zealand are a spinner away from being a complete team right now.

3 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Where did Kyle Jamieson come from? I watched a bit last night and he's not a youngster (just turned 26), he's not express pace, probably 82-85 mph, but he's tall and gets bounce, moves it both ways with swing and seam and absolutely ruins left handers. He bowls just like an English county seamer. He cant keep this level up but it's an incredible start. New Zealand are a spinner away from being a complete team right now.

In the Tests against the Windies they spoke about how his inswinger was something he had been working hard on and has only really started bowling it this season. Be interesting to see how he goes in non favourable conditions. With his height and bounce he has the potential to be dangerous everywhere.

I think NZ has the second best Test team after India. Seem to have a stable top 6, have a few good options for an all rounder at 7, 4 top class pace bowlers, and the only issue as you pointed out is the lack of a spinner.

1 hour ago, R-Sole14 said:

In the Tests against the Windies they spoke about how his inswinger was something he had been working hard on and has only really started bowling it this season. Be interesting to see how he goes in non favourable conditions. With his height and bounce he has the potential to be dangerous everywhere.

I think NZ has the second best Test team after India. Seem to have a stable top 6, have a few good options for an all rounder at 7, 4 top class pace bowlers, and the only issue as you pointed out is the lack of a spinner.

He reminded me of Chris Tremlett. Hopefully for his sake he has better luck with injury. 

Can't argue with that. India, when everyone available, have a team for all conditions. NZ at 2, Aus at 3 (what is going on with the batting?), Eng at 4, Pak at 5. 

19 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

He reminded me of Chris Tremlett. Hopefully for his sake he has better luck with injury. 

Can't argue with that. India, when everyone available, have a team for all conditions. NZ at 2, Aus at 3 (what is going on with the batting?), Eng at 4, Pak at 5. 

Our batting has been poor for a number of years. Smith, Warner and Labuchagne are the only ones who have shown to be good enough for Test cricket. We are too reliant on those three and when they are injured/out of form/suspended due to taking woodworking classes during a match we just can’t score enough runs.

Pucovski making his debut today after recovering from concussion playing for Australia A. I do worry about the bloke, 22 and he has had something like 8 concussions. Pretty sure he said after one of the concussions it was when mental health issues first occurred, which lead him to withdraw from the Australian squad previously. Johor he can remain fit for a long time. Him and Green definitely have the talent to fix some of our batting issues though.

12 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

India might have a team that could prosper in all conditions, but until they stop playing 1 warm up game and having some batsmen treat the first test as practice, they're going to struggle in England and NZ in particular. 

NZ and Aus I think are about even, when Smith and/or Labuschagne are firing properly. I'll put Aus ahead because I've not edged smashed any of their bowlers for 2 fours in an over. Ask me anything.

England, Pakistan, and of late South Africa I think you'd say is win at home and lose away, so all much of a muchness. Maybe WI there too. I know we won in SA last year, but I think they're looking better under Boucher. 

Sri Lanka look poor atm. So will probably ******** us in this series.

Bangladesh I haven't heard anything of for ages, so will assume they're still poo.

57 minutes ago, southportdc said:

India might have a team that could prosper in all conditions, but until they stop playing 1 warm up game and having some batsmen treat the first test as practice, they're going to struggle in England and NZ in particular. 

Every team is the same. How many times do we rock up somewhere with barely a practice game and thumped in the first Test? South Africa last winter a prime example. We were a much better side than them and chucked away the first Test as it was our warm up game.

I wouldn't agree on South Africa being in that bracket with England and Pakistan just yet. They've hammered a poor, and under-prepared, Sri Lanka but that batting line up would still struggle against a proper attack. Elgar is solid and De Kock is their best player but apart from that i wouldn't swap any of ours. Their bowling is Rabada plus some not quite Test level fast-medium seamers and quick but average Nortje. Meh.

Sri Lanka have no star power anymore. They went from having two of the greatest batsmen of all time and two of the highest wicket taking spinners of all time to what? Kusal Perera?  

They'll beat us in the first Test though. Obvs.

2 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Every team is the same. How many times do we rock up somewhere with barely a practice game and thumped in the first Test? South Africa last winter a prime example. We were a much better side than them and chucked away the first Test as it was our warm up game.

I wouldn't agree on South Africa being in that bracket with England and Pakistan just yet. They've hammered a poor, and under-prepared, Sri Lanka but that batting line up would still struggle against a proper attack. Elgar is solid and De Kock is their best player but apart from that i wouldn't swap any of ours. Their bowling is Rabada plus some not quite Test level fast-medium seamers and quick but average Nortje. Meh.

Sri Lanka have no star power anymore. They went from having two of the greatest batsmen of all time and two of the highest wicket taking spinners of all time to what? Kusal Perera?  

They'll beat us in the first Test though. Obvs.

Well yeah but the difference is I genuinely think India might be able to win anywhere with more practice and focus.

We could train our players in India from birth and they'd still lose.

10 hours ago, southportdc said:

Well yeah but the difference is I genuinely think India might be able to win anywhere with more practice and focus.

We could train our players in India from birth and they'd still lose.

You train them from birth in South Africa and you won there.