Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No, no, my point was not necessarily about the systems played. Systems come and go, it’s more about the fact that we are finally producing players who are comfortable on the ball. For years we have been the footballing pariahs of football, and we’re in real danger of being left even further behind 

Pulis is a tactical dinosaur. His methods are crass, but yes, can be effective in the short term, but in long term, it’s detrimental to producing good footballers

But again we are making out like for the full 90 minutes we are going to shell every single ball which might suit Tom Lees😂 people are making out like Bannan etc won't get a game anymore and he will bring in the units like Dele Bashiru, it's not going to happen is it. We have one of the best creative midfielders in this league its time to use him right.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
Just now, Southside Owl said:

It has to be short term Tony... do a job for us, pay him well for keeping us up.. then look to the future by appointing a manager that can encourage the positivity and flair needed to get us up to the prem and to stay there..

It's not short term, its 2.5 years under discussion. We'll be paying him around £2m to make up 3 points on Coventry and Wycombe.

This is the grim reality of our future. 

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

If you're only as good as your last job then you're wrong. 

Not only his last job, his previous job at W.B.A. ended badly too. There is a real probability that at sixty-two Pulis is no longer the man who did so well at Stoke City. I think he'd be a disappointing choice. It seems the one fact some are clinging to is that he's never been relegated. But there are plenty of others who'd be keen on the job that I'd trust every bit as much as Pulis to steer Sheffield Wednesday well away from the drop. Danny Cowley took over a Huddersfield team with one point from seven matches and kept them up. Paul Cook led Wigan Athletic to ten points clear of relegation had there not been a twelve point deduction.

So I share your misgivings but at least you're not a Swindon Town supporter. I know he was a fine player for The Owls but the appointment of John Sheridan as Swindon manager is mind boggling.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No, no, my point was not necessarily about the systems played. Systems come and go, it’s more about the fact that we are finally producing players who are comfortable on the ball. For years we have been the footballing pariahs of football, and we’re in real danger of being left even further behind 

Pulis is a tactical dinosaur. His methods are crass, but yes, can be effective in the short term, but in long term, it’s detrimental to producing good footballers

Wow, did “you” just say that?! Any credit to Monk and his staff?

If this is true I really do despair. He will bore us to death and when crowds are back they will not pay to watch the shizzle his teams serve up. I certainly won’t. 

DC has a great opportunity to get us a young, innovative and vibrant manager, however it looks like we may be stuck with this bloody caveman. 

Pulis for the season ok, keep us up, get a nice payout plus a picture of a Spitfire or a carriage clock then Bon soir.

Even better a long term project Rowe perhaps?

Edited by Joe Jockstrap
22 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

I don't give a poo what he does with Bannan, I don't want him here because I don't think he will be a good medium to long term appointment for Sheffield Wednesday, and unless he gets us promoted (which I feel is unlikely as we have a far worse squad than he had at Boro) his style will leave us in a similar position to all his previous clubs once he left, you HAVE to change the style to improve at that point but your team is full of athletes and not footballers so you have to rebuild the team and end up exactly where we are now.

Suppose we will have to wait and see. 

Its not the best appointment, but its by no means the worst either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

this is exactly the mentality i'm talking about, you're taking it too a massive extreme, Barry Bannan is the smallest player on the pitch HOWEVER runs through brick walls for you, he's one the most composed and creative players in the division, is he a "idiot that can run around and try his best" and "Every now and again kick someone up in the air."

Just because you say runs through brick walls, it doesn't mean you need every single player over 6ft3 and be a sh*thouse

So Bannan does what should be a prerequisite for every single footballer and tries his hardest on the pitch. Therefore with him being one of the most composed and creative players in the division we should just be happy that he can run around a lot and try hard? That is all Pulis will use him for. He wont need any of the other attributes he has.

Or we could hire a manager who can get the best out of footballers who have a brain, talent, composure, technical ability, creativity and build a more progressive style of football. It doesnt have to be "Spain style possession football" but it should involve getting the football down on the ground and using your best players to the best of their abilities.

Some people are happy with dinosaur hoofball, obviously you like this, but a lot of football fans now expect a bit more than "getting stuck in". 

Team v PNE

Wildsmith 
Odubajo Iorfa Lees Börner van Aken Flint Urhoghide Dunkley Palmer Paterson

Edited by cain
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, striker said:

It's not short term, its 2.5 years under discussion. We'll be paying him around £2m to make up 3 points on Coventry and Wycombe.

This is the grim reality of our future. 

well yes,, grim and stupid.. 

The gift that keeps on giving springs to mind.

I said before this is not a good era to be a Wednesday fan and that looks to be for a few more years to come.  Baton down the hatches and find something more important to care about would be my advice! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adem Poric said:

So Bannan does what should be a prerequisite for every single footballer and tries his hardest on the pitch. Therefore with him being one of the most composed and creative players in the division we should just be happy that he can run around a lot and try hard? That is all Pulis will use him for. He wont need any of the other attributes he has.

Or we could hire a manager who can get the best out of footballers who have a brain, talent, composure, technical ability, creativity and build a more progressive style of football. It doesnt have to be "Spain style possession football" but it should involve getting the football down on the ground and using your best players to the best of their abilities.

Some people are happy with dinosaur hoofball, obviously you like this, but a lot of football fans now expect a bit more than "getting stuck in". 

Exactly as you put it "should be" players don't always! number 1 is players that will work hard number 2. is players with quality,  - "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard"

you can be a great talent (Pogba) but if your not working hard enough your a passenger and are zero use to your team.

Joey Pelupessy works hard ticks box number 1 but he doesn't really tick box number 2 does he, doesn't mean i scream for him in my team selections because he works hard first😂

is Colin classed as a dinosaur? he demands those things from his players first? Again does miracles wherever he goes.

• Like 1

I do hope he turns us in to that nasty physical team that others hate playing against, a team that bully’s the opponent, I hate seeing us roll over for teams. He is going to need to bring a lot of new players in though to make us that team. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Exactly as you put it "should be" players don't always! number 1 is players that will work hard number 2. is players with quality,  - "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard"

you can be a great talent (Pogba) but if your not working hard enough your a passenger and are zero use to your team.

Joey Pelupessy works hard ticks box number 1 but he doesn't really tick box number 2 does he, doesn't mean i scream for him in my team selections because he works hard first😂

is Colin classed as a dinosaur? he demands those things from his players first? Again does miracles wherever he goes.

"Does miracles wherever he goes"

He keeps teams up, sometimes gets teams promoted. He also has a short shelf life at every team. Because his football is absolutely dreadful. The worst thing is, his football is better than what Pulis puts out.

I dont really understand your argument. There is no way you can have seen a Pulis team before if you think he can get the best out of Bannan or any other actual footballer. He will probably get the best out of the defenders and the whole teams effort will have to improve as they'll be constantly jumping to try to head it, win flick ons. 

Personally i hate his football. It's utterly perplexing to me that people will be happy as long as we just work hard on the pitch. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

"Does miracles wherever he goes"

He keeps teams up, sometimes gets teams promoted. He also has a short shelf life at every team. Because his football is absolutely dreadful. The worst thing is, his football is better than what Pulis puts out.

I dont really understand your argument. There is no way you can have seen a Pulis team before if you think he can get the best out of Bannan or any other actual footballer. He will probably get the best out of the defenders and the whole teams effort will have to improve as they'll be constantly jumping to try to head it, win flick ons. 

Personally i hate his football. It's utterly perplexing to me that people will be happy as long as we just work hard on the pitch. 

It's all been a cunning plan by DC to lower the bar so much by appointing Jos and Monk, that appointing Pulis seems acceptable. And still having trouble to sell that decision to the fans

lol

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

But the longer he has left on his contract when he gets the 'chop', the bigger his pay off will be.

Has as been covered loads of times before, even by former Chairmen of our club, at this level managers get a 3/6 month pay off regardless of length of their contract.

• Thanks 2