Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

3 minutes ago, striker said:

And Pulis is going to improve our goalscoring  😀

No, I dont think it's as desperate as has been described to justify Pulis. Monk needed to go, but we're about to replace his negative approach with the master of negative anti football. If we were all unanimous that Monks defensive mindset and the lack of goals you quote was the problem, this appointment then beggars belief. 

The 6 points back puts a different perspective on the season. There are several threads on credible candidates, DC also stated a high volume of interest. 

Absolutely guarantee it'll increase from the current goal every 2 games! lol

I've not seen one long term credible candidate, who would be interested in coming here. Eddie Howe is a pipe dream - more chance of seeing Elvis live at the City Hall.

• Love 1

Just now, Royal_D said:

Sure you just accused someone of having an agenda yourself ! 

Speaking to Jim White on talkSPORT, the SWFC chairman said, “I want to do the best thing for the club, it’s an amazing club… We need time to think about it.

“I think (we need to hire somebody) as soon as possible. Actually there are many managers who have sent offers, so we need to look at it and see who is the best. Every manager is good and has good experience and ability, but I can choose just one. So I’ll try to choose the best I can choose at the moment."

Does that count as loads of people? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

"agenda"

ffs

I love the idea that people post on here with an ‘agenda’. 
Sat awake all night plotting how they can twist and turn posts so that they might convince readers of a football fan forum that their opinion of whether Tony Pulis is/ isn’t a good manager is the right one!

Agenda. Brilliant 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Speaking to Jim White on talkSPORT, the SWFC chairman said, “I want to do the best thing for the club, it’s an amazing club… We need time to think about it.

“I think (we need to hire somebody) as soon as possible. Actually there are many managers who have sent offers, so we need to look at it and see who is the best. Every manager is good and has good experience and ability, but I can choose just one. So I’ll try to choose the best I can choose at the moment."

That's interesting... I'd say that he's choosing a manager for our current situation, not long term.

Some really bizarre comments in this thread:

The length of the deal: Why are people acting like managers should and will take 1 year deals? he's not a unknown quantity

DIRECT FOOTBALL: Different when VVD punts a 50 yard ball for Liverpool, it's done with 'precision' when a elite club go long, you play whats effective if hoofing the ball is working then you do it, if playing through them works you do it, you have to find a balance and mix it up, i doubt we are going to shell every single ball for 90 minutes.

half of our fanbase live in cuckoo land - i've seen people wanting Slavisa Jokanovic, you know the guy who was in charge of Watford and Fulham apparently wasn't interested in the job last time out and now manages in Qatar on millions, course he's going to come to Sheffield.

Pulis might not be at the top of most peoples list, but the guy is no mug he's managed at the top and in the championship,  we need to be far more realistic as a fan base, all we ever asked for was players that will run through brick walls, the kind of team associated with Pulis, suddenly now we want attacking football possession based football, think too many people are caught in the hype around this type of football 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Fair enough that’s not an interview I’d seen

4 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

The length of the deal: Why are people acting like managers should and will take 1 year deals? he's not a unknown quantity

DIRECT FOOTBALL: Different when VVD punts a 50 yard ball for Liverpool, it's done with 'precision' when a elite club go long, you play whats effective if hoofing the ball is working then you do it, if playing through them works you do it, you have to find a balance and mix it up, i doubt we are going to shell every single ball for 90 minutes.

half of our fanbase live in cuckoo land - i've seen people wanting Slavisa Jokanovic, you know the guy who was in charge of Watford and Fulham apparently wasn't interested in the job last time out and now manages in Qatar on millions, course he's going to come to Sheffield.

Pulis might not be at the top of most peoples list, but the guy is no mug he's managed at the top and in the championship,  we need to be far more realistic as a fan base, all we ever asked for was players that will run through brick walls, the kind of team associated with Pulis, suddenly now we want attacking football possession based football, think too many people are caught in the hype around this type of football 

"

La

Tony Pulis: the man that time and football forgot

The announcement was so popular that in the immediate aftermath Middlesbrough’s website crashed. There were jubilant responses on Twitter. Fans made clear their relief at the news most felt had been a long time coming.

Tony Pulis had been sacked. After a season of turgid, dismal football at the Riverside, a season in which Middlesbrough missed out on the playoffs having been ensconced in the top six for most of the year, there were very few dissenting voices. This, for most, was a welcome update.

Boro’s supporters, by the end, had grown tired of Pulis and his insistence on playing the most functional, one-dimensional football imaginable. It was not that his team missed out on the playoffs; it was the manner in which they did so.

They got close: one point behind sixth-placed Derby after winning their final two games of the season. But they fell short, and that, ultimately, was inexcusable. Even if they had reached the playoffs, it would not likely have changed the opinions of most Middlesbrough fans.

The issue, for Pulis, is that his methods are increasingly outdated. Fans are no longer content to pay to watch 90 minutes of unadventurous, ugly football, regardless of the end result. Middlesbrough’s fans, by the end of this season, approached matchdays with a feeling closer to dread than anticipation.

That is because they knew what would, without fail, be served up by Pulis’ team. Boro scored just 49 goals in 46 league games, fewer than all but four teams in the Championship, and two of those were relegated. That they finished seventh was due to a typically solid and well-organised defence: they let in just 41 goals, the joint-best record in the division.

Pulis has argued that coming so close to the playoffs was a success, given he sold close to £50million worth of players last summer – the likes of Adama Traoré, Patrick Bamford and Ben Gibson all left – in order to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations.

For that, he deserves credit, though Middlesbrough are hardly poverty-stricken. “Two years ago we invested heavily in the squad in terms of transfer fees and salaries in an attempt to regain our Premier League status,” chairman Steve Gibson said in a club statement. “This happened before Tony’s arrival.

“Over the past 18 months Tony has been proactive, not only in the ambition to win football matches and promotion to the Premier League, but also in addressing our financial position in order to comply and respect the Championship Fair Play criteria.

“He has ensured that the club is stable and strong for the future. He leaves us in excellent condition.”

On the surface, then, it appears Pulis has done a respectable job. This season was hardly disastrous; it did not set the club back several years and they will again be amongst the favourites to challenge at the top of the Championship next season.

As always, though, with Pulis, it all comes back to his dogmatism, to his refusal to even consider the possibility of playing more expansive football. The club’s fans, for the most part, were fed up with it, and wanted him gone.

It did not help that Middlesbrough were often poor at home. They won just ten of their 23 games at the Riverside, losing seven and drawing six. They scored just 23 goals and often played unnecessarily defensively for a promotion-challenging team on their own turf. It was much different away from home, though.

Over the course of the season, Boro created an average of just 1.1 big chances per 90 minutes, some way off the division’s pacesetters. They completed an average of 344.13 passes per game, which ranks 19th in the Championship.

None of this is surprising, of course, but it highlights the dearth of entertainment at Middlesbrough over the course of the campaign.

Inevitably, such a style of play does not endear a manager to the fans, particularly in the modern game, where most supporters feel entitled to a certain level of entertainment (Marcelo Bielsa and Daniel Farke have certainly provided that at Leeds United and Norwich City this season).

There are others, too, who have suffered similar fates because of their refusal to conform to modernity.

Chris Hughton was dismissed by Brighton largely due to his side’s consistently dour performances in the Premier League. Sam Allardyce and Mark Hughes are out of fashion, too, since their most recent and forgettable tenures in the top flight.

It seems clubs are growing increasingly weary of Pulis and his ilk. The former Stoke and West Brom manager is undoubtedly effective in the right circumstances. But, after a while, he prompts a feeling of existentialism from fans: Why are we watching this unapologetically drab football? Would success even make it all worthwhile?

The answer to the latter, for Middlesbrough, proved to be no. Pulis is gone, and he must now consider his next step wisely. If he does not change his approach, he may find himself faced again and again with an alienated group of fans and a dissatisfied chairman

I have to confess that I'm surprised Mr Chansiri would sack a manager, who claims to have hit the target set at this stage of the season, without having a replacement lined up. We've got a good break until our next game, surely it would have been prudent to have a manager coming through the door as Monk exited. I'm guessing he didn't decide to sack Monk overnight.

We seem to take flippin' ages over everything. If it's not the kits coming out in November, it's player recruitment at the 11th hour, or it's taking forever to replace an outgoing manager. We move slower than the local council!

• Like 1

Just now, rickygoo said:

"

La

Tony Pulis: the man that time and football forgot

The announcement was so popular that in the immediate aftermath Middlesbrough’s website crashed. There were jubilant responses on Twitter. Fans made clear their relief at the news most felt had been a long time coming.

Tony Pulis had been sacked. After a season of turgid, dismal football at the Riverside, a season in which Middlesbrough missed out on the playoffs having been ensconced in the top six for most of the year, there were very few dissenting voices. This, for most, was a welcome update.

Boro’s supporters, by the end, had grown tired of Pulis and his insistence on playing the most functional, one-dimensional football imaginable. It was not that his team missed out on the playoffs; it was the manner in which they did so.

They got close: one point behind sixth-placed Derby after winning their final two games of the season. But they fell short, and that, ultimately, was inexcusable. Even if they had reached the playoffs, it would not likely have changed the opinions of most Middlesbrough fans.

The issue, for Pulis, is that his methods are increasingly outdated. Fans are no longer content to pay to watch 90 minutes of unadventurous, ugly football, regardless of the end result. Middlesbrough’s fans, by the end of this season, approached matchdays with a feeling closer to dread than anticipation.

That is because they knew what would, without fail, be served up by Pulis’ team. Boro scored just 49 goals in 46 league games, fewer than all but four teams in the Championship, and two of those were relegated. That they finished seventh was due to a typically solid and well-organised defence: they let in just 41 goals, the joint-best record in the division.

Pulis has argued that coming so close to the playoffs was a success, given he sold close to £50million worth of players last summer – the likes of Adama Traoré, Patrick Bamford and Ben Gibson all left – in order to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations.

For that, he deserves credit, though Middlesbrough are hardly poverty-stricken. “Two years ago we invested heavily in the squad in terms of transfer fees and salaries in an attempt to regain our Premier League status,” chairman Steve Gibson said in a club statement. “This happened before Tony’s arrival.

“Over the past 18 months Tony has been proactive, not only in the ambition to win football matches and promotion to the Premier League, but also in addressing our financial position in order to comply and respect the Championship Fair Play criteria.

“He has ensured that the club is stable and strong for the future. He leaves us in excellent condition.”

On the surface, then, it appears Pulis has done a respectable job. This season was hardly disastrous; it did not set the club back several years and they will again be amongst the favourites to challenge at the top of the Championship next season.

As always, though, with Pulis, it all comes back to his dogmatism, to his refusal to even consider the possibility of playing more expansive football. The club’s fans, for the most part, were fed up with it, and wanted him gone.

It did not help that Middlesbrough were often poor at home. They won just ten of their 23 games at the Riverside, losing seven and drawing six. They scored just 23 goals and often played unnecessarily defensively for a promotion-challenging team on their own turf. It was much different away from home, though.

Over the course of the season, Boro created an average of just 1.1 big chances per 90 minutes, some way off the division’s pacesetters. They completed an average of 344.13 passes per game, which ranks 19th in the Championship.

None of this is surprising, of course, but it highlights the dearth of entertainment at Middlesbrough over the course of the campaign.

Inevitably, such a style of play does not endear a manager to the fans, particularly in the modern game, where most supporters feel entitled to a certain level of entertainment (Marcelo Bielsa and Daniel Farke have certainly provided that at Leeds United and Norwich City this season).

There are others, too, who have suffered similar fates because of their refusal to conform to modernity.

Chris Hughton was dismissed by Brighton largely due to his side’s consistently dour performances in the Premier League. Sam Allardyce and Mark Hughes are out of fashion, too, since their most recent and forgettable tenures in the top flight.

It seems clubs are growing increasingly weary of Pulis and his ilk. The former Stoke and West Brom manager is undoubtedly effective in the right circumstances. But, after a while, he prompts a feeling of existentialism from fans: Why are we watching this unapologetically drab football? Would success even make it all worthwhile?

The answer to the latter, for Middlesbrough, proved to be no. Pulis is gone, and he must now consider his next step wisely. If he does not change his approach, he may find himself faced again and again with an alienated group of fans and a dissatisfied chairman

my eyes have just bled, i won't be reading that but thanks for the reply

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

WTF wants to be the pariahs of British football It’s not “hype” it’s real, and has taken British football out of the dark ages. Many of fans ask why Wednesday don’t produce players who go on to bigger and better things, well this is another example why we don’t