I always get a low sense of expectation when we look to appoint new managers under DC as they are always out of work contenders. It would be nice to go and approach someone who’s doing well at a club and try and prize them away. All out of work managers mentioned are either old, outdated in tactics or have some sort of recent blemish on their CV. I realise every manager will get this over time but would be nice to go headhunting for a change. 

I think Lowe is the only one the list (from memory) that’s listed. Even then it could be that we’ve not even approached him.

Who else ‘in work’ would people realistically take?

• Like 1

I dunno, managers are always getting sacked and hired, so why pay for one when there are plenty of free agents?

If we were taking one off of somebody else then our pulling power would only be for someone from league 1/2 anyway. 

Cook is a good manager and but for a useless owner and the EFL he would still be a Championship manager with a team above us in the table doing very well.

The 2nd half of last season Wigan were 4th - played 23,  won 11, drew 7, lost 5, with a positive goal difference of 16 taking 40 points. Leeds Brentford and Fulham the only teams above them and 2 of them are not in the EPL.

(In comparison we were 23rd, played 23, won 4, drew 5, lost 14, goals difference of -22 and just 17 points.)

Cook would be a great manager and the things that have happen could enable us to get a great manager on a free.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes this is why people clamouring for Lowe are wasting their time.

DC won’t appoint a manager who is in work. It goes against his values, it’s a respect thing which the chairman believes very strongly about. Admirable in a way.

I wonder if those values have changed where football is concerned, think this time around he may have had conversations before he sacked Monk?

Does it make a difference if Lowe made the first move and contacted us?

22 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes this is why people clamouring for Lowe are wasting their time.

DC won’t appoint a manager who is in work. It goes against his values, it’s a respect thing which the chairman believes very strongly about. Admirable in a way.

I know what you’re saying. Never bothered other Thai chairmen in British football though.

We'd never get him and to be fair, we're not exactly a great catch at the moment.  However, if there was even a slight chance he'd be interested, I'd be busting my balls to get Thomas Frank in on a 3 year contract.