Coaching badges

Managers getting 'coaching badges' by learning how to manage in exactly the same way as all other managers has meant that every manager manages like all other managers

lol

It's a right load of old cold porridge isn't it?

So many bad bad managers out there, floating around, taking jobs, failing, then taking another job

Back in the day it was Big Sam, Big Mick and co who were the journeymen you'd call

Now it's the likes of Gary Rowett, Tony Pulis and Garry Monk who are floating round this level with their relentless failings and their coaching badges.

• Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

So let’s reduce the professional football down to two leagues. Then only good managers will rise to the top. 

I can change spark plugs and basic service a car but show me a formula 1 engine and I could talk about it but then probably wreck the fooooker. 

• Haha 2

I really cannot understand the need for written qualifications for coaching. It's like having a Badge  to become a leading Actor. You cannot be taught something that comes automatically to you. Who are the people who decide to award badges for coaching? Coaches themselves? If so. why aem

n't they at clubs somewhere, making a name for themselves.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Managers getting 'coaching badges' by learning how to manage in exactly the same way as all other managers has meant that every manager manages like all other managers

lol

It's a right load of old cold porridge isn't it?

So many bad bad managers out there, floating around, taking jobs, failing, then taking another job

Back in the day it was Big Sam, Big Mick and co who were the journeymen you'd call

Now it's the likes of Gary Rowett, Tony Pulis and Garry Monk who are floating round this level with their relentless failings and their coaching badges.

Absobloodylutely 

Just because everyone else, or the majority do it, doesn't mean its 'the way' 

Who's coming in with the revolutionary ideas. 

I want someone who everyone thinks is nuts. 

I agree to some extent. The coaching courses are good for understanding of putting together sessions, sharing ideas, learning how to treat different personalities, understanding how different people react, psychological impacts, etc. It's the base from which to work off. However, the best coaches will learn to adapt and bring their own ideas - that is something you cant teach on a course. The best ones will use their own philosophies, the bad ones will try to copy someone else or just trot out the course manual verbatim.

• Like 1

Well int a badge a badge?  You go on a course to learn summat and there's a badge at the end of it.   A badge for sparky's means you know how to fix the leccy and a badge for footy coaching means you know how to coach a footy team. Wot's wrong wi that?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

And here lies the coaching badges issue - turns everyone into 

I teach English with a mix of other teachers and I've seen/heard some crazy things from teachers that haven't got a qualification.  I'm sure they wouldn't have done that if they'd been on a course.  I know there are also good teachers and good coaches without qualifications.  I suppose I believe the badge gives them a basic level of competence before they develop and learn more and go on to become hopefully better at their job.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Didn't get a badge though did he?

You do know that you don’t actually get a ‘badge’ when passing your coaching qualifications don’t you. You get a certificate which is probably what Picasso got from his college or a letter of some sort.

Then again a ‘Top Coach’ badge for the lapel sounds like a good idea!