Tony Pulis’ Record

Posted in another thread but it's as simple as this.

Do I want Pulis' football? Absolutely not - but if it's him or Campbell, Neville, Cowley etc - I'll take the stability and experience anyday, especially while we can't be there to watch it. Get us stable, add some backbone, improve the set pieces and move on next year if we've not drastically improved, but we're safe and a better proposition. 

Paul Cook for me - #pashun, good football and chomping at the bit. Championship experience at a lower level but more than ready for that next step up to a bigger club.

Pearson or Wagner too. But in a real world - they're unlikely to come (Cook doesn't seem to be on Chansiri's radar)

Edited by sammo
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

No it was Karanka.

I think the total opposite.

Pulis would come in and look at the match vids from this season. He’ll watch Marriott, Paterson and Kachunga and decide straightaway it’s Windass-Rhodes.

Might be Paterson in for either one with his height.

Apologies no time to read through all the posts in this thread, so it may already have been mentioned

What say Pulis manages this season then agrees to take on The Director of Football type role I believe we desperately need from next year? He has many years experience and is an out and out football man.

Then over the season we can go and find that new Manager / Head Coach and we have some succession planning to push on next year.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

No it was Karanka.

I think the total opposite.

Pulis would come in and look at the match vids from this season. He’ll watch Marriott, Paterson and Kachunga and decide straightaway it’s Windass-Rhodes.

Looks at the last 5 games he will think Pelupessy is our best player.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deanamo Wednesday said:

Apologies no time to read through all the posts in this thread, so it may already have been mentioned

What say Pulis manages this season then agrees to take on The Director of Football type role I believe we desperately need from next year? He has many years experience and is an out and out football man.

Then over the season we can go and find that new Manager / Head Coach and we have some succession planning to push on next year.

That would be like trying to sell Megson the assistant managers job here.

38 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bannan will be absolutely gutted if Pulis comes in. He will not sign a new contract and will want out in January. 

Pulis, or any manager, will love Bannan. Quality and fit. And we don’t have much of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deanamo Wednesday said:

I would rather rebuild in league 1 under Paul Cook than watch championship football under pulis.

Pulis may do s job but he doesn't have a great reputation for the state of squads he leaves when he departs clubs.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I would rather rebuild in league 1 under Paul Cook than watch championship football under pulis.

Pulis may do s job but he doesn't have a great reputation for the state of squads he leaves when he departs clubs.  

He'd only have one transfer window in January and won't be able to do much in that as existing players contracts will be to end of the season

2 minutes ago, Deanamo Wednesday said:

He'd only have one transfer window in January and won't be able to do much in that as existing players contracts will be to end of the season

Sounds good in theory but honestly if pulis gets job and keeps us up he will be manager for next 2-3 years.  

Chansiri doesn't want a director of football, and can't see him wanting a 6 month appointment

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Pulis, or any manager, will love Bannan. Quality and fit. And we don’t have much of that.

But on his dealings with Pulis at Palace, Bannan said:

"I was at Villa and my agent said Palace have been promoted, do you fancy it?

"My old manager Ian Holloway was there so I wanted to go. I signed and then three games later he was sacked.

"Then Tony Pulis came in and he was right up my street!

"To be fair, he was that honest with me it was unreal.

"He grabbed me in, halfway through the season and was like if I was managing a team that was going to play football then you'd be the first one in my team.

"But he said 'we're fighting for our lives'.

"To be honest, I don't mind that. If you're going to pull me in and give me that reason I don't mind. I knew from then on, it wasn't going to be the club for me."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/bannan-pulis-new-manager-swfc-19254246

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Pulis wasn’t a fan of Bannan at Palace. Although that was when they where facing a relegation battle....

And it was Bannan against Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool.

He’ll be a fan of Bannan v Swansea, QPR and Norwich.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Not an option.

L1 next year spells financial catastrophe. Covid has ruined clubs and risks L1 clubs going out of business next season.

Covid changes everything. Got to stay in the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Incognito Owl said:

I agree, but if it is Pulis, I see it being Paterson/Windass and Rhodes. 

I’d like to see those 3 being our “pair 2 from 3” in the next 9 games upto Christmas. With Kachunga on the fringe and Marriott if the World stops revolving.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Is he's good why does he keep getting sacked?

He's a con man, he gets sacked when he gets found out. Financial irregularities at palace resulting in palace taking him to court and pukelis having to payback over 3 million. Gibson at middlesborough sussed him and didn't renew his contract. Horrible man. He's old school, the school of Allardyce, Clough, Rednap, of  (alleged)corruption

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I’d like to see those 3 being our “pair 2 from 3” in the next 9 games upto Christmas. With Kachunga on the fringe and Marriott if the World stops revolving.

I would give the players a clean slate with a new manger coming in, but tend to agree. Paterson and Kachunga aren't really strikers though, but it's all we've got until maybe January.

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Any manager who watches this seasons matches then picks Paterson over Rhodes has issues.

No way would I contemplate going down the Pulis route, but I might be tempted to start Rhodes as a 9, at least until we can bring in a proper 9. I’d set up 4-3-3, with Harris and Reach operating as wingers, on their correct flanks, with Rhodes, or even Marriott in the middle.Play through the midfield and when we do use the wings, mix it up a bit, not a continuous stream of lofted crosses