Tony Pulis’ Record

12 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

TP Wouldn't be my first choice however we could do a lot worse than TP, sick of this ridiculous trend "possession football" or "dinosaur manager" the aim of football is simple it's to win, We played possession football under CC and we couldn't break teams down in the 2nd season only having a handful of shots per game, now that's boring football. Unless your a elite club forget about this fantasy of possession and playing out from the back nonsense possession doesn't win football matches, goals do, how we get them i don't care.

TP would instantly make us harder to beat, scrap the 3-5-2 nonsense and get a back 4, with our players we will be comfortable with that, Borner, Flint & Lees all suit it much better.

I also think you'd start to see a settled strikeforce getting minutes under there belt, everyone is so fast to write them off but the formation we were playing absolutely killed them.

Brexit means Brexit

• Haha 3

Just now, gurujuan said:

You be missing the point a bit, it wasn’t that we couldn’t break teams down in season 2 under Carlos, it was more about teams not being able to break us down Under Carlos though, it wasn’t booting it anywhere, it was controlled football. Controlling the games, allowed us to win plenty of games with the minimum of shots We finished higher than we did in season 1

Remember those endless goal-less, chance-less first halves?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agree mostly.

But I suspect any manager including Pulis will have little choice other than play 352ish until the window.

We don’t have a LB in the club and we have 127 CBs.

And let’s be honest, if it is Pulis, those 3 big CBS are going to form a very important part of our strategy. Personally I’d be quite excited to see Bannan and Brown stood over free-kicks with a Pulis-organised Iorfa, Lees and Borner waiting to attack the cross.

Bannan will be absolutely gutted if Pulis comes in. He will not sign a new contract and will want out in January. 

• Haha 1

Despite them slagging him off, I bet Boro fans wished Pulis had stayed last season, instead of appointing Woodgate!

Pulis took over from Monk at Boro, and got them into the play offs and then the following season, missed out on the playoffs by 1 point before losing his job!

We need stability at the moment, and Pulis could buy us that for this season and maybe next. 

• Like 2

Just now, Holmowl said:

Remember those endless goal-less, chance-less first halves?

I do, and believe me I wasn’t that keen on watching it, but that was before I had to contemplate watching Monk’s, or maybe Pulis’s idea of playing football

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Stoke - 3 full seasons in Championship. 12th, 8th, 2nd. Kept them comfortably in Prem for 5 seasons. 

Palace - saved them from Prem relegation and got Prem Manager of Season

West Brom - kept them in Prem for two seasons.

Boro - towards top of Championship but no promotion.

Stoke - Championship 138 games, 1.54 ppg.

Stoke Prem - 190 games, 1.18 ppg

Palace Prem - 26 games, 1.46 ppg

WBA Prem - 106 games, 1.17 ppg

Boro Championship - 68 games, 1.68 ppg

Championship goals record:-

Pulis Average GF56 GA45

Owls 19/20 GF58 GA66

Owls 18/19 GF60 GA62

Owls 17/18 GF58 GA60

Owls 16/17 GF60 GA45

Owls 15/16 GF66 GA45

You really do like a stat don't you?  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agree mostly.

But I suspect any manager including Pulis will have little choice other than play 352ish until the window.

We don’t have a LB in the club and we have 127 CBs.

And let’s be honest, if it is Pulis, those 3 big CBS are going to form a very important part of our strategy. Personally I’d be quite excited to see Bannan and Brown stood over free-kicks with a Pulis-organised Iorfa, Lees and Borner waiting to attack the cross.

Penney/Palmer/Odubajo Left back options, Penney will give us that balance which we lacked in the 3-5-2 , 4 at the back suits us down to the ground, its the way forward with our current defence, our centre back options are good  enough for this league Borner Lees Flint Iorfa, take your pick 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

You be missing the point a bit, it wasn’t that we couldn’t break teams down in season 2 under Carlos, it was more about teams not being able to break us down Under Carlos though, it wasn’t booting it anywhere, it was controlled football. Controlling the games, allowed us to win plenty of games with the minimum of shots We finished higher than we did in season 1

im missing no points, the more you keep possession of the football the more time it allows the defensive team to drop back in and sit back, that's why we had minimum shots on target, you can say you've controlled a game but if your not controlling it in the opponents half and creating chances and getting shots on goal its not effective at all. Remember CC saying that teams got used to how we played in the first season and sat off us in the 2nd and we found it difficult to break them down? 

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, deano said:

I'm not convinced we need a short term fix.

I would hope whoever we recruit is because DC thinks they are the right person for the job period, not just for one season.

The last thing we need is appointing a manager in view of changing again within months. 

You can make a case for Pulis, I'll get on board if it is him, although I would hope we appoint someone with a more modern approach.

I expect it would be a two or three year contract.

I’d be pretty certain that we’d stay up, comfortably. Though now to January is a struggle with the absence of a strikeforce.

I’d be pretty certain of a play-off push 21/22.

Who knows after that.

• Like 2

People need to be realistic about what any manager can achieve with the players at his disposal. 

On paper and excluding that week where we lost 3 on the bounce, our defenders are very good. The amount of times this season there has been high praise for lees, borner and iorfa last season shows we certainly have a foundation. That said, the keeper is clearly an issue. Most fans want westwood to come back, and I think someone with TP’s character and experience would build a more successful relationship (although i could be wrong), but it does seem more likely. 

The lack of creativity worries most fans though, and since the departure of Fletcher/fessi/hooper, we cannot claim to have a striker who we genuinely can score 15/20 plus goals a season. Another factor, if Barry bannan sees someone with the experience, and previous success, of Pulis walk through the door he would be more inclined to stay beyond the end of the season. Bannan, at the moment, is critical to everything that we do. 

Additionally, again having someone with TP’s experience would allow us to attract proven players at this level compared to the likes of Cowley, campbell, cook. This means we would have a far better chance of recruiting well in January.  

All the reasons are there outlining why we should go for him, as opposed to some of the other muppets that have been mentioned. 

As for the likes of Pearson and Howe, as much as most fans would like to have them I think we just have to accept that Sheffield Wednesday could easily be regarded as a poisoned chalice. These managers have had success in the premier league in the past decade and wouldn’t want to do anything to risk their pedigree.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Just now, shandypants said:

You really do like a stat don't you?  

Im sat helping my Covid-isolating teenager with his GCSE maths.

Im in an OT statty thread on my iPad.

Im drinking nice strong coffee.

Life is sweet.

2 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

People need to be realistic about what any manager can achieve with the players at his disposal. 

On paper and excluding that week where we lost 3 on the bounce, our defenders are very good. The amount of times this season there has been high praise for lees, borner and iorfa last season shows we certainly have a foundation. That said, the keeper is clearly an issue. Most fans want westwood to come back, and I think someone with TP’s character and experience would build a more successful relationship (although i could be wrong), but it does seem more likely. 

The lack of creativity worries most fans though, and since the departure of Fletcher/fessi/hooper, we cannot claim to have a striker who we genuinely can score 15/20 plus goals a season. Another factor, if Barry bannan sees someone with the experience, and previous success, of Pulis walk through the door he would be more inclined to stay beyond the end of the season. Bannan, at the moment, is critical to everything that we do. 

Additionally, again having someone with TP’s experience would allow us to attract proven players at this level compared to the likes of Cowley, campbell, cook. This means we would have a far better chance of recruiting well in January.  

All the reasons are there outlining why we should go for him, as opposed to some of the other muppets that have been mentioned. 

As for the likes of Pearson and Howe, as much as most fans would like to have them I think we just have to accept that Sheffield Wednesday could easily be regarded as a poisoned chalice. These managers have had success in the premier league in the past decade and wouldn’t want to do anything to risk their pedigree.

Brilliant summary.

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

too much sense in one post, im going for a lie down.

completely agree with the defence comments, the defence  is good enough for this level, they were being killed by the lack of balance in the 3-5-2 and having wing backs that were wingers and then on the opposite flank of their strong foot is far from ideal.

The creativity is the reason the strikers struggled so much, i honestly believe going back to basics would see us improve in this area massively.

TP will have good contacts in the game hopefully allowing us to bring a good calibre of player in

Well summed up!

• Like 2

‘Tone’ will be Megsons puppet....

:duntmatter:

Might be a good fit at this time and will get the best out of what he has at his disposal.

Bannan is unlikely to be here for much longer in any event.

We need an experienced motivator who doesn’t suffer fools and can sort out the spine of the team this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Penney/Palmer/Odubajo Left back options, Penney will give us that balance which we lacked in the 3-5-2 , 4 at the back suits us down to the ground, its the way forward with our current defence, our centre back options are good  enough for this league Borner Lees Flint Iorfa, take your pick 

Personally I am far from convinced about Penney. Had we bought him rather than grown him we’d be all over him on here. Hope I’m wrong, but at the very least he is unproven.

Do we really want a right-footed LB?

But I like 442. Always have. I like Reach at LW and Harris at RW. I used to love a Bannan-Lee midfield, but even I question now whether Bannan in a midfield two would work. Might do. It also means we can “rest/repair” whichever of Luongo or Brown are in the repair shop at any time. Quite like that idea.

I guess it depends who manages us. Most managers prefer 4 at the back. I do wonder whether Pulis might take one look at our troop of mighty CBS and decide 3 at the back is the answer until the window.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Safe to say if Pulis gets the job it will definitely be the end of the road for Rhodes. Wasn’t Pulis the manager who let him leave Boro?

No it was Karanka.

I think the total opposite.

Pulis would come in and look at the match vids from this season. He’ll watch Marriott, Paterson and Kachunga and decide straightaway it’s Windass-Rhodes.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not so in my opinion, one window would be sufficient to produce a balanced mid table championship side. Two signings could see us achieve that. A mobile centre forward,  a left back, and a switch of formations. Any half decent manager could get this side in the top half after one window

Westwood, Wildsmith or Sawson take your pick

Palmer

Iorfa

Borner

New left back

Brown

Luongo

Bannan

Harris

New number 9

Reach

That’s the issue 2 out of the midfield are never fit