We ARE a big club

Guest Grandad

We probably just about break the top 30 biggest clubs in the country. Which makes us a moderate sized club in my opinion.

Of course we were a big club 25 years ago but we've gone backwards ever since. Even our crowning glory, the size of the fanbase, is no longer that impressive - we've stagnated on this front whilst many other clubs have grown theirs. 

5 hours ago, Grandad said:

Seeing so many people repeating the Chairmans idiotic statement from last week - especially in relation to who we can attract as a manager.

Yes we ARE a big club. Certainly in the top 20% of ALL clubs in the UK

Don't let the fact we have been run into the ground so appallingly by a series of dreadful Chairmen and boards in the last 20 years (including him) cloud your judgement.

This club has massively underachieved in the 21st century. But don't for one minute let your Chairman convince you to lower your expectations of the club and what it is capable of. That would be letting him off the hook and allowing him to continue the under achievement.

STOP doing his work for him and hammering home the message we arent a big club. We are one of the biggest in the country. 

Completely agree.

So many people over the last week or so have been piling in to say how we’re not a big club bla bla bla and trying to blame our demise in this “myth”.

I don’t think anyone believes we’re as big as the clubs regularly playing in Europe. But we have underachieved over the last 20 years and we are a club that are of a calibre that should be in the top flight. That’s not saying we have a right to be there or taking anything away from the clubs there on merit, just that we have a right to expect a team capable of playing there.

But if we are to accept that we are not a big club, when stadiums are open again, I’d like this to be reflected in the pricing.

Define bug club, not easy now. Ok we can get 25k fans for a average game. So Big club? However it's all about TV revenues and viewing figures. Would guess that we are way down when it comes to being a drawer for TV audiences.

So Big club from a what we have won, name etc but the 20 years of dross has lost us to an entire generation of fans.

Never understood this big club thing. We keep deluding ourselves with this. Started watching the Owls in 1962 and since then there have only been 2 average attendances exceeding 30000, 30000 1965/6 and 31000 1966/67. These mainly due to our FA Cup Final appearance in 1966.

We were a big club attendance wise between 1948 and 1954 when we had 4 averages over 40000 and 3 over 30000. But in the other 146 years we've hit 30000 in 3 seasons. Same in Bluntland where they delude themselves similarly. Just need to remind them that in 2025 it'll be 100 years since they won anything and 90 since they won  major semi final.

We’re not big we’re MASSIVE!

Chansiri must either be deluded or daft having seen the turnout out for Wembley & still to have had the thought ‘Wednesday aren’t as big as the fans think...’

In the right hands the sky is the limit for this club.

We're still 14th in the all-time top division top table, although we'll drop down to 15th if Wolves do reasonably well this season.

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/england_footy/football-league/all-time_top_flight_points_table/

When we were relegated from the Premier League, I think we were twelfth. We were also, I think, ahead of Chelsea and Man City in the trophy table posted above (regarding one might point out that our golden years came at a time when many of the trophies on there didn't exist; had they done so, we might well have won more - of course other teams would have done so as well, but Forest, for example, are only just behind us thanks almost entirely to a great 15 years under Brian Clough).

We also have the 13th-highest average all-time attendance according to:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/shew.htm

Not that any of that matters too much these days, but it just goes to show how far we've fallen.

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Depends who you are comparing us to.

Would say clubs I used to think we were bigger then as a kid like Leicester, Southampton and Wolves have left us far behind now.

Leicester probably have the opportunity to get on a roll and be a big team for decades now, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Southampton or Wolves were in the Championship in 10 years' time. That's a hell of a long time in football.

I don't want that anymore....Managers, players....

"Big mimble mumble...fan base massive mumble...history this that mumble grovel simper...loyal twitter twatter...

I want someone to say summat like 

"Oh whhat a f.ookin' abject mess of a clowns car, the fans are absolute tW @ts who won't give you an inch..f.ook them...I dunno about The Chairman, but if he's right I'll stand hanging"...."I will do me best, but no promises...cos this is a f.ookin' rubbish dump of a club at the moment!!!"

"Next question?"

7 hours ago, Lythamowl said:

we are big in terms of history and heritage but lets not fool ourselves. We still have a magnificent fan base and we have potential.

We got off the premiership bus 20 years ago and we've been walking ever since......

Biggest club outside premier....Forest....

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Depends who you are comparing us to.

Would say clubs I used to think we were bigger then as a kid like Leicester, Southampton and Wolves have left us far behind now.

But would say we as big as anyone outside the Premier League.

I don’t think any of these have a fan base equal to ours.  Even a small success (like the Cardiff and Wembley play off finals) demonstrate how big this club is.  Any club shrinks back without success but these 3 would fall way below us.

50 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Been working in America for the last 7 weeks. Out of Every person I spoke to about football in that time not a single person had even heard of us. 

I guess being league champions in 1930 only gets you so far.

When I worked in the US most of them didn’t know where Canada was so I’m not too surprised by this!