Westwood

Between 2015-17 Keiren Westwood was an exceptional keeper for  Sheffield Wednesday, match winning saves and performances that should have graced the Premier League. There's no denying that, he was fantastic and deserves respect for those performances. In hindsight we should have sold him after Wembley and personally I think he expected to go, but Wednesday being Wednesday gave him a new deal when maybe cashing in would have been better, a discussion for another thread I think.

However since 2017 he's been in decline, he started the 17/18 season clearly injured, he started conceding goals he wouldn't have the season before, his kicking was off and his reactions not what they once were. He spent the 2nd half of that season out injured (with about half the squad in fairness) and Jos didn't bring him back in for a first team game. Clearly there was a fall out, that's fine it happens and in the end he and Hutchinson won as Jos left and they came back in.

Despite a decent return I don't think he was as good as people remember, he had a poor season last season. Red card on the opening day, mistakes against Millwall, West Brom and Swansea x 2. I'm not trying to dig him out, it's just facts. He's not the keeper he was, he's a 36 year old injury prone keeper who has a reputation to be trouble/difficult call it what you will.

Thanks for the memories Keiren and I mean that sincerely but time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Westwood was playing poorly prior to his latest freezing out, so I'm not sure what all the uproar is about over not using him. Maybe his experience would make him better than Wildsmith or Dawson over the course of a season, but his form prior to being binned was no better than theirs, & they both have youth on their side. At the top of his game Westwood was a great keeper for us, but we need to move on (potentially from all three) in the next transfer window.

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Says everything about Wednesday fans and being stuck in the past that we are on the verge of a new era at the club and an exciting time welcoming a new manager and yet the longest thread is about asking an old bloke who’s been watching Loose Women from his sofa for the past year to put his gloves on and let blunder goals in again for us 

Remember though Neil, unlike you & I most fans don't know what went on at Xmas.

• Haha 1

You have to laugh at those that think the suggestion here is to plan for the future with Westwood as no. 1.

That would barely make any sense.

It's merely about re-integrating players that are still contracted and seeing if they still have something to offer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If they've got nothing to offer then we've lost nothing.

And needless to say, it's unlikely there'd be any clamour for Westwood whatsoever had the form of Dawson and/or Wildsmith been much better than it had been.

Nor has it been forgotten that Westwood's form itself had seriously dipped prior to his being dropped, and I remember little opposition at the time to his being dropped either.

He's out of contract next summer anyway at which point I'm sure he'll be going. As it is, I'd be surprised if we'd not already been scouting for a new first-team keeper and that is something that we should still be pressing ahead with, but at least if we can still make good use of Westwood it gives us a little longer to bring in a keeper and we can focus more on bringing some quality firepower in during January. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cowl said:

You have to laugh at those that think the suggestion here is to plan for the future with Westwood as no. 1.

That would barely make any sense.

It's merely about re-integrating players that are still contracted and seeing if they still have something to offer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If they've got nothing to offer then we've lost nothing.

And needless to say, it's unlikely there'd be any clamour for Westwood whatsoever had the form of Dawson and/or Wildsmith been much better than it had been.

Nor has it been forgotten that Westwood's form itself had seriously dipped prior to his being dropped, and I remember little opposition at the time to his being dropped either.

He's out of contract next summer anyway at which point I'm sure he'll be going. As it is, I'd be surprised if we'd not already been scouting for a new first-team keeper and that is something that we should still be pressing ahead with, but at least if we can still make good use of Westwood it gives us a little longer to bring in a keeper and we can focus more on bringing some quality firepower in during January. 

We'll be getting a new first choice goalkeeeper in January

Westwood will never be seen again here. 

Move on

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, jacko1992 said:

Tenner bet he's back int' sticks, tha knows nowt.

You're on - seriously

Not only will he never play for us again, but I doubt he's even interested in playing in goal for any football club anymore

He's got other interests now including being involved in that club over the pennines

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We'll be getting a new first choice goalkeeeper in January

Westwood will never be seen again here. 

Move on

As per usual, you know nothing.

We don't even have a manager at the moment, so our transfer plans are certainly something you know nothing of.

Your opposition to Westwood is really, really weird.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Indeed

We have a lot of fans though. 1000 would be ‘many’, even 2000—and yet still nowhere near most.

But you know this. And you know that should Westwood get himself in the picture again most fans would be absolutely fine about it.

1 minute ago, cowl said:

We have a lot of fans though. 1000 would be ‘many’, even 2000—and yet still nowhere near most.

But you know this. And you know that should Westwood get himself in the picture again most fans would be absolutely fine about it.

I was talking about within the game mate

Ps - give it up - Westwood won't pull on a pair of gloves again - for any club.

You don't have to believe me - just watch.... see.....

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I was talking about within the game mate

Ps - give it up - Westwood won't pull on a pair of gloves again - for any club.

You don't have to believe me - just watch.... see.....

What the ‘game’ knows of a player is practically always fueled by hearsay though.

Still, it's also weird that you seem to hope that Westwood not playing again turns out to be true.

Just now, cowl said:

What the ‘game’ knows of a player is practically always fueled by hearsay though.

Still, it's also weird that you seem to hope that Westwood not playing again turns out to be true.

I'm not hoping at all.

Please don't misunderstand or misrepresent what I'm saying

I'm not hoping anything

I'm just saying/predicting

Like I say watch and see

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not hoping at all.

Please don't misunderstand or misrepresent what I'm saying

I'm not hoping anything

I'm just saying/predicting

Like I say watch and see

You're predicting (guessing) whilst trying to make out you know something we don't.

But since you know nothing there's really no reason to make such a prediction about whether he plays again or even wants to play again.

The fact that a bloke who's probably been told he doesn't have to go into work (in fact, actively encouraged not to) and so finds other things to occupy his time means very little.