Garry Monk SWFC Manager September 2019 - November 2020

Once his record and management style moved into Jos territory, he had to go. It would’ve been quite bizarre for the chairman to stick with a manager when he sacked one in similar circumstances with an arguably better record?

Whoever comes in has to ditch the 3-5-2 and play a system that suits the players that are here. Maybe give Rhodes a run and I mean a run in the side.

• Like 4

Do you think other coaches have rumbled him?

he seemed savvy at Leeds  but thinking back, he had Chris wood up front so -it probably masked aN essentially defensive outlook Boro Brum Us have been underwhelming 

good luck Garry but 0 real goals in 107 games at Hillsboro - blimey - bring back Steve Burtenshaw all is forgiven!

I can safely say that Garrrrry Monk produced some of the worst, most inept football I have ever witnessed at S6 and I had season tickets when Chris Turner and Alan Irvine were in charge. 

Utter dross. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Was not the most inspiring managerial appointment at the time. It was always hard for anyone coming in to fill Bruce's shoes. We were gutted we'd lost Bruce and whoever came in was always going to be underwhelming in comparison.

However, he started quite strongly and we looked pretty solid at the back. I remember a 0-0 draw against Leeds, where I thought we looked really good against the best side in the division. But then we started conceding late goals, week after week. It really was quite bizarre. Something Monk just couldn't seem to sort out and it was becoming comical. During his time at Wednesday we conceded 21 goals from the 85th minute onwards which is quite staggering. My figure here might be slightly incorrect but 21 points dropped from that position too. 

Nevertheless we were third at Christmas. The performances weren't particularly convincing but we were doing well, and who cares as long as you're winning? And then the Stoke game happened. 2 goals conceded in the last minute to lose the game 3-2. We then lost two more on the spin. A good away win over Leeds was the last real thing we had to shout about under Monk. The form dropped pretty dramatically and the record from that game onwards is not worth looking at.

But Monk was backed in the summer by the chairman. Monk repeated that the culture at the club needed to change, some bad apples needed moving on and he was given the summer to start his plan. 7 new signings and a whole new backroom staff. However, recruitment was done with the points deduction looming over his head, something that must not have been easy for Monk. The threat of a deduction was there throughout his tenure and was confirmed at the start of this season, which no doubt had an impact on recruitment and squad morale.

But from what we saw on social media, the players and the staff were coming together. Despite the deduction, I and many other fans went into this season fairly positive with a bit of an 'us against them' mentality. We started ok with the win at Cardiff and the draw against Watford. But it wasn't long before the abject and poor performances of last season creeped back in. Three absolutely horrific results against Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe where we failed to score a single goal. Monk seemed to be dead set on his 5 at the back wing-back formation despite it being pretty clear that it simply was not working and did not suit the personnel he had.

And as a result Monk fell on his sword. Or Chansiri gave him a little nudge shall we say. The dreaded vote of confidence was given and a few days later he was sacked, out of the blue in Chansiri world considering 4 points from 6 and the reduction in the points deduction. However, it was needed.

Thank you for your efforts Garry. I must admit your tactics baffled me and I never quite understood the style you were trying to implement. Square pegs in round holes springs to mind. But on a human level, I wish him well in the future. 

Great post

Monk will never manage in the championship again 

The guys a fraud, a liar and glad to see the back of him 

Hope he enjoys his millions he's robbed from football because he shouldn't get another penny 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Sunburn said:

Perfectly expressed, SallyC. No one would envy the rock GM had to push up that hill. On his own at first until his staff came and bad eggs were gone. Let’s do a better job of supporting our next manager. UTO. Always UTO. 

I do like your comment about supporting the next manager. Will not happen. Our fanbase are not the most tolerant, and there will be plenty who will be against the next incumbent, whoever it is.

25 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

I do like your comment about supporting the next manager. Will not happen. Our fanbase are not the most tolerant, and there will be plenty who will be against the next incumbent, whoever it is.

Think people may be a little more tolerant afer the latest debacle. I thought Jos was the worst id seen but Monk has put serious doubts about that. 

• Like 1

Monk’s teams played too deep and lacked any degree of consistent offensive intent so it’s always going to be harder to win games when you primarily try not to lose.

The teams that do well in this division have less fear and go out to win games. I always felt that under Monk, we played with our hands tied behind our backs and it was so frustrating.

I wish him well on a human level, but his tactics were as dull as dishwater, sadly.

• Like 3

Just seen a tweet that he’s now had 5 jobs in 6 years as a manager and the most games he’s had was 70odd in his first job at Swansea.

Just makes the decision to appoint him look even more bizarre. I mean a big rebuilding job is required here and we appoint a manager who hasn’t been anywhere longer than 2 minutes.

• Like 1