Alex Miller - 91 : The real inside story of the 1990/91 season - please read

8 hours ago, billyblack said:

never get tired watching that Harkes goal and that 91 team was probably my favourite team of all time as a Wednesday fan

That's football. Right when your riding the crest of the wave you still think there is more, the chance to progress further.

I think that team did progress over the next two years, but finishing second in two cup finals, and playing in Europe doesn't compare to winning a cup final. 

An incredible achievement for a second division team, even if we were only on loan there for a season.

• Like 2

IPSWICH away first game of the season was the single biggest away following I have ever witnessed as a football fan (at least that's how it felt) wednesday were all over the ground...all 4 sides

Some of my mates at the time were Ipswich fans and they said the same

Coach after coach after coach...unbelievable 

8 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

IPSWICH away first game of the season was the single biggest away following I have ever witnessed as a football fan (at least that's how it felt) wednesday were all over the ground...all 4 sides

Some of my mates at the time were Ipswich fans and they said the same

Coach after coach after coach...unbelievable 

Around 7,000

Loved that year - so many memories both good and indifferent. Great players. 

I think the shear optimism of BFR and the team sticking together over the summer galvanized the whole fan base - no exceptions and we rode a wave of exquisite football and enthusiasm back to the top tier.

We started the season beating the pigs convincingly in Laurie Maddens testimonial and carried on for a few games in the early season. League cup run and Wembley win was the icing on the cake .

There were some poor games though; Cambridge in the cup, Blackburn, Newcastle, Wolves away and we drew too many at home. Best thing was talking over towns with the fans - Ipswich, Hull, Oldham, Port Vale, Notts County to name a few. Best game for me though was West Ham away - I knew we were going up that day - convincingly took apart a good promotion contender in their back yard - just quality.

Shout out for Roland Nilsson's return game @ Rotherham on Good Friday - probably 5000 Wednesday fans went over to see the game. 

I lost my car keys on the Kop during the Chelsea second leg. After searching for ages I asked a copper what I should do, and he suggested I go to the little kiosk between the Kop and North Stand.

I walked straight in and saw 3 coppers kicking seven bells out of one of our fans.

Luckily my keys had been handed in 😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Animis said:

Loved that year - so many memories both good and indifferent. Great players. 

I think the shear optimism of BFR and the team sticking together over the summer galvanized the whole fan base - no exceptions and we rode a wave of exquisite football and enthusiasm back to the top tier.

We started the season beating the pigs convincingly in Laurie Maddens testimonial and carried on for a few games in the early season. League cup run and Wembley win was the icing on the cake .

There were some poor games though; Cambridge in the cup, Blackburn, Newcastle, Wolves away and we drew too many at home. Best thing was talking over towns with the fans - Ipswich, Hull, Oldham, Port Vale, Notts County to name a few. Best game for me though was West Ham away - I knew we were going up that day - convincingly took apart a good promotion contender in their back yard - just quality.

Shout out for Roland Nilsson's return game @ Rotherham on Good Friday - probably 5000 Wednesday fans went over to see the game. 

Fancy a chat mate? Drop us an email.. alex.miller@jpimedia.co.uk

I was 6 years old. The memories only started around 93. That's when I started going. 

Tell you what though, the amount of times I sat and watched that season VHS. I used to get up super early and watch it. 

The one with the training session in Hyde Park. League Cup glory and a few others from the time. 

I was just memorised by these videos. The soundtrack was everything! 

So in my little world those mornings were my indoctrination into the Wednesday. 

I know I'm not alone. Reyt good. 

• Like 1

That Ipswich away game was the only time I didn’t feel safe in a ground. Far too many behind that goal. Remember a copper outside asking me just how many we’d brought as he’d ‘never seen anything like it’. Momentum is a big thing in football and from that day on we never really looked back. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

coming out , Man U fans saying it was a mickey mouse cup any way and they didnt want to win it . Funny they were so confident before kick  off!

I remember coming out of Wembley that day and the Man U fans were quite generous.
Remember one say he was pleased for a club like Wednesday to win something and I wished Man U well in the Cup Winner Cup.

3 hours ago, vulva said:

That Ipswich away game was the only time I didn’t feel safe in a ground. Far too many behind that goal. Remember a copper outside asking me just how many we’d brought as he’d ‘never seen anything like it’. Momentum is a big thing in football and from that day on we never really looked back. 

I can remember feeling very claustrophobic at Ipswich but at time you sort of accepted it and it wasn't unusual for terracing to be packed then. It was a very warm day as well which didn't help.
I do remember them taking people out and round to another part of the ground when we scored our first goal and people running on the pitch in celebration.