Here is the reason Monk should be sacked.

54 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Realistically how much would it have costed to offer him what he wanted. Would imagine he’d be on less than he was on his last contract. Say it’s 25k a week rather than 30-35k before. 

we pay half a million for Paterson and then probably pay him at least 10k a week. 

it’s basically the same cost for the year and Fletcher is a far better player 

I agree fletcher is a better player but he is also very injury prone and Patterson can play in a number of positions and may have a resale value. I guess there is a lot to take in to account, not just who is the better player.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I get that we aren’t going at the moment because of covid

but ignoring that, do you think when the 2020/21 accounts come out in 18 months time we’re going to be losing £39m over 3 years with the squad and wage bill we now have and that money coming in. We’re going to be nowhere near it

That means FFP isn’t the limiter for us right now it’s more that Chansiri doesn’t want to spend 

Yes we will. I think the stadium sale is already accounted for, £2.5m profit so essentially gave us a year for free and that’s it. I think 17-18 and 18-19 our wage bill was £35m - £42m so we weren’t just over ffp we were over the limit every 18months so the joao sale and Brice compo although was needed won’t have really made a big impact. 

I think having the points deduction resets the ffp limit however I’m not sure when that date starts from as I’m not sure if the punishment was for the ffp or for backdating the stadium into the wrong year.

People say our wages are now sustainable but they are nowhere near, we are paying out £100k a week just between KW, Lees and Rhodes. Bannan/Reach will be on good wages as well and that’s before the rest of the squad is included. The only hope we have got is to invest wisely at the end of this season and hope that a number of other clubs start to come under pressure through ffp as well. 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No agenda. Thought we worked hard in both games but lacked quality. The bar is low if we class them as playing really well. 

Totally disagree, we payed really well and that’s not with a low bar as a measure.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

The 22nd December 2019.

That was the date that we last had back to back league wins. We beat Bristol City 1-0 at Hillsborough, 8 days after beating Forest 4-0 at the City Ground.

That is almost a year ago, and we have played 34 league games since.

That is a shocking statistic, which in no way can be defended, you would think that even the most crappy manager, could eke out 2 wins in a row.

Apparently fan expectation is too high. 

You’ll be wanting passes to be strung together next or shots to be on target.

Asking for back to back wins in the 2nd tier. Hardly an expectation of winning the Champions League.

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Yes we will. I think the stadium sale is already accounted for, £2.5m profit so essentially gave us a year for free and that’s it. I think 17-18 and 18-19 our wage bill was £35m - £42m so we weren’t just over ffp we were over the limit every 18months so the joao sale and Brice compo although was needed won’t have really made a big impact. 

I think having the points deduction resets the ffp limit however I’m not sure when that date starts from as I’m not sure if the punishment was for the ffp or for backdating the stadium into the wrong year.

People say our wages are now sustainable but they are nowhere near, we are paying out £100k a week just between KW, Lees and Rhodes. Bannan/Reach will be on good wages as well and that’s before the rest of the squad is included. The only hope we have got is to invest wisely at the end of this season and hope that a number of other clubs start to come under pressure through ffp as well. 

The way I see it, I think the peak loss was 2017-18 and was £37m ignoring the stadium sale. The losses have been coming down year on year since as the wage bill has been falling, amortisation of transfers run off, squad size has fallen and we also haven’t spent anything.

After this FFP ruling, we’ve now been punished to the end of that season haven’t we. And the stadium sale wasn’t ruled out, it was the timeframe that was. So if it wasn’t allowed to be included in those accounts it should move in to the year afterwards. I would imagine that that will mean for 2018-19 we will show a decent profit, lower wages than 2017-18, sold Jack Hunt etc. Always thought the net result would be a profit of closer to £10m once the accounts come out if the stadium sale is on there.

Then last year we probably brought in £7m for Bruce and Joao, spent £1m on Luongo and very little else. Plus the wage bill was down a lot by releasing Hooper, Boyd, Abdi, Jones etc. So net net was thinking the loss for last season would be in the £10-20m range.

If that’s remotely right, this season there’s a lot of headway. Let’s call it a £10m loss over the last two seasons and we’d be allowed to lose £29m. But we’ve cut our cloth further by releasing more high earners and not spending much 

But this window of opportunity is small because come next season the stadium sale will drop out of the rolling 3 years and we’ll be back to borderline breaking it again

12 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Totally disagree, we payed really well and that’s not with a low bar as a measure.

Have to agree to disagree. We had a good 20 min spell yesterday but as usual lacked that bit of quality, final ball and decision making which has been a similar theme under this manager. Apart from that it was dross.

Bourenmouth we worked very hard and deserved the win, but I don’t think we played really well. Game decided by a penalty.

We clearly have very different standards. We’ve scored 1 in 4 games and it was from the penalty spot. In fact we’ve only scored 3 goals from open play all season. Absolutely dire.

• Like 6

I remember it took a while for Jos to move on but DC was looking for ages before making a change. He spoke with Bruce 2 months prior to Jos actually leaving. So if as the season progresses there becomes an obvious candidate there may well be a change. But at the moment there is no one who would realistically come here that screams an obvious improvement IMO.

17 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The way I see it, I think the peak loss was 2017-18 and was £37m ignoring the stadium sale. The losses have been coming down year on year since as the wage bill has been falling, amortisation of transfers run off, squad size has fallen and we also haven’t spent anything.

After this FFP ruling, we’ve now been punished to the end of that season haven’t we. And the stadium sale wasn’t ruled out, it was the timeframe that was. So if it wasn’t allowed to be included in those accounts it should move in to the year afterwards. I would imagine that that will mean for 2018-19 we will show a decent profit, lower wages than 2017-18, sold Jack Hunt etc. Always thought the net result would be a profit of closer to £10m once the accounts come out if the stadium sale is on there.

Then last year we probably brought in £7m for Bruce and Joao, spent £1m on Luongo and very little else. Plus the wage bill was down a lot by releasing Hooper, Boyd, Abdi, Jones etc. So net net was thinking the loss for last season would be in the £10-20m range.

If that’s remotely right, this season there’s a lot of headway. Let’s call it a £10m loss over the last two seasons and we’d be allowed to lose £29m. But we’ve cut our cloth further by releasing more high earners and not spending much 

But this window of opportunity is small because come next season the stadium sale will drop out of the rolling 3 years and we’ll be back to borderline breaking it again

7m for joao. 3.5m for the steves.

I would expect that plus the stadium sale to put us in a better situation.

But as things typically go for Wednesday, we are now in a situation where it may not matter as P&S can’t really be applied to this pandemic and it will no doubt trigger a review 

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Have to agree to disagree. We had a good 20 min spell yesterday but as usual lacked that bit of quality, final ball and decision making which has been a similar theme under this manager. Apart from that it was dross.

Bourenmouth we worked very hard and deserved the win, but I don’t think we played really well. Game decided by a penalty.

We clearly have very different standards. We’ve scored 1 in 4 games and it was from the penalty spot. In fact we’ve only scored 3 goals from open play all season. Absolutely dire.

So you do agree that we did well for 20 minutes yesterday then.

I’m not saying we’re good in front of goal (we need to get much better in this area which is the weakest part of our game at the moment, as I’ve just said in another thread) what I am saying, going back to my original comment, in response to your comment that the current style of play bores you to death, is that we played really good football for 20 minutes against millwall and the game against Bournemouth. Those cant be classed as boring, we played really good football (apart from the finishing obviously).

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Perfect summary really

But he HAS made a decision. He has decided to stick with and support Garry Monk ( quite properly in my opinion but what do I know about running a football club? I’m just a supporter.)

We as fans might or might not like the Chairman’s decision, but you can’t accuse him of dodging the issue. You might accuse him of making a decision that he feels is good for his business. He will have access to far more details of his business than we mere watchers and perhaps we should respect that ?

I have no problem with those who disagree with his decision(s) in the same way as I have no issue with those who disagree with the direction of M&S. I do disagree with the abuse of individuals by online trolls on this or any other site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Elderly Owl said:

But he HAS made a decision. He has decided to stick with and support Garry Monk ( quite properly in my opinion but what do I know about running a football club? I’m just a supporter.)

We as fans might or might not like the Chairman’s decision, but you can’t accuse him of dodging the issue. You might accuse him of making a decision that he feels is good for his business. He will have access to far more details of his business than we mere watchers and perhaps we should respect that ?

I have no problem with those who disagree with his decision(s) in the same way as I have no issue with those who disagree with the direction of M&S. I do disagree with the abuse of individuals by online trolls on this or any other site.

Here we go again

Please show me where this abuse of him is on this site

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

So you do agree that we did well for 20 minutes yesterday then.

I’m not saying we’re good in front of goal (we need to get much better in this area which is the weakest part of our game at the moment, as I’ve just said in another thread) what I am saying, going back to my original comment, in response to your comment that the current style of play bores you to death, is that we played really good football for 20 minutes against millwall and the game against Bournemouth. Those cant be classed as boring, we played really good football (apart from the finishing obviously).

Eh? Just because we had a decent 20 minute spell it doesn’t mean we played really good football. 

It was a lot of possession but again complete nose bleed when we got near their goal. Boring.

Football is played for 90 minutes too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Eh? Just because we had a decent 20 minute spell it doesn’t mean we played really good football. 

It was a lot of possession but again complete nose bleed when we got near their goal. Boring.

Football is played for 90 minutes too. 

But it does mean we played really good football for 20 minutes. Which is exactly what I said.

I know football is played for 90 minutes btw. Technically, in fact, it’s played for at least 90 minutes.

Somebody thinks we were the better team yesterday.

Millwall boss Gary Rowett said:

"I thought we were poor - it's as simple as that. We tried to overplay when we didn't need to overplay and Sheffield Wednesday were brighter than us.

"We had a couple of big chances. Hutchinson had a free header and (Matt) Smith had a free header and you expect them to score.

"It would have been completely unfair on Sheffield Wednesday because they were better than us and probably deserved the three points.

• Like 1

Just now, Hookowl said:

Somebody thinks we were the better team yesterday.

Millwall boss Gary Rowett said:

"I thought we were poor - it's as simple as that. We tried to overplay when we didn't need to overplay and Sheffield Wednesday were brighter than us.

"We had a couple of big chances. Hutchinson had a free header and (Matt) Smith had a free header and you expect them to score.

"It would have been completely unfair on Sheffield Wednesday because they were better than us and probably deserved the three points.

And I agree with him. As will most of our supporters who watched the game. Apart from those who want to keep up specific agendas.

• Like 1