Here is the reason Monk should be sacked.

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Haven’t you seen half the posts over the last couple of seasons on here.. constantly calling for the play off team to be dismantled even though it was obvious that at their ages they were still better than what would be replacing them. 

It's not just age. It's that we could no longer afford them, and - TBH - some of them clearly had an attitude problem.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Haven’t you seen half the posts over the last couple of seasons on here.. constantly calling for the play off team to be dismantled even though it was obvious that at their ages they were still better than what would be replacing them. The only ones from the 2017 team who are no longer good enough for this level due to age are Loovens, Pudil and Wallace. The rest are all still 29-33 and of far higher quality than what’s been brought in to replace them

You’re changing the topic. Meanwhile, I’m glad we didn’t break the bank to keep fletcher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, 83owl said:

What’s weird is half our fan base think that it’s ok to pay players like fletcher, FF, Hooper etc £30k a week for years on end, have a wage budget consistently over  150% of our revenue, never sell any players and then never have to suffer the consequences from doing this. 

It’s Chansiri’s money though and it’s what’s required to be competitive at the top end. We’re going to scrape around the bottom 8 with this new budget and playing squad then probably end up in League 1 eventually

We wasted plenty of money unnecessarily during 2015-17, overpaying players, signing ones we didn’t need etc and never having squad turnover. But 30 grand a week is the going rate for good strikers that can fire you to promotion at this level 

It might be a sad state of affairs but that’s the way the business is in football right now. Pay them 10k a week instead and you end up attracting dross who can’t score. And that’s where we are 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

It's not just age. It's that we could no longer afford them, and - TBH - some of them clearly had an attitude problem.

Yeah.. some of them had a winning attitude and that doesn’t fit in in Monk’s dressing room

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We know he shouldn’t be here. But the chairman won’t budge or make a decision.

I’m past moaning about Monk. His style of play bores me to death and yesterday the match was on in the background while I watched Soccer Saturday. 

I’m not a fan of the style most of time but against Bournemouth and the first 20 minutes of the second half against millwall we played really good football. Let’s hope there is more of that to come.

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s Chansiri’s money though and it’s what’s required to be competitive at the top end. We’re going to scrape around the bottom 8 with this new budget and playing squad then probably end up in League 1 eventually

What universe do some of our fans live in??

Err, Hello...... FFP anyone?

At the moment, we can't afford it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

You’re changing the topic. Meanwhile, I’m glad we didn’t break the bank to keep fletcher.

Realistically how much would it have costed to offer him what he wanted. Would imagine he’d be on less than he was on his last contract. Say it’s 25k a week rather than 30-35k before. 

we pay half a million for Paterson and then probably pay him at least 10k a week. 

it’s basically the same cost for the year and Fletcher is a far better player 

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We wasted plenty of money unnecessarily during 2015-17, overpaying players, signing ones we didn’t need etc and never having squad turnover. But 30 grand a week is the going rate for good strikers that can fire you to promotion at this level 

It might be a sad state of affairs but that’s the way the business is in football right now. Pay them 10k a week instead and you end up attracting dross who can’t score. And that’s where we are 

Can’t afford to pay 30k a week to strikers or any player where by you get nothing back on your investment. We need to start looking at players as assets instead of this family rubbish. 30k a week on the likes of hooper, fletcher, Rhodes etc is just money down the drain as you will never get it back. 

If we are going to push the boat out again after this deduction I hope we have learned our lesson and actually spend it on someone who is likely to improve whereby if it doesn’t work out we actually have a saleable asset rather than being stuck with players milking long expensive contracts. 

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

What universe do some of our fans live in??

Err, Hello...... FFP anyone?

At the moment, we can't afford it.

If I was him I’d take the 6 point deduction every 5 years and just go for it, FFP is a joke.

But even if we plan to comply with it, given the stadium sale, Bruce compo and Joao money right now we’re nowhere near that £39m rolling loss limit. We can afford to spend more on players to make us decent again. A bigger question is does Chansiri have the cash.. he’s cheeky asking for these prices to watch them play if he doesn’t plan on investing

Some of our fans live in a universe where they’re happy to pay 40 quid to watch 4 first half home goals in 20 odd games. Bizarre

25 minutes ago, bradowl said:

If we did WDWDWDWD right up to end of season they would still be no back to back wins but I doubt they would be anyone calling for him to be sacked then. lol

If his record since last December was WDWDWDWDWD nobody would be moaning. But it wasn't. It was 6 wins from 36 or whatever it is. 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Can’t afford to pay 30k a week to strikers or any player where by you get nothing back on your investment. We need to start looking at players as assets instead of this family rubbish. 30k a week on the likes of hooper, fletcher, Rhodes etc is just money down the drain as you will never get it back. 

If we are going to push the boat out again after this deduction I hope we have learned our lesson and actually spend it on someone who is likely to improve whereby if it doesn’t work out we actually have a saleable asset rather than being stuck with players milking long expensive contracts. 

It depends though, it’s not really about getting all of the money back when the end result of promotion is so much more. For me if we paid Fletcher 35k a week for 4 years on a free transfer, that’s about £7m for 4 years which I think was good value. Same with Hooper, he’s not one you’d look for resale on he’s a player to get you over the line.

If id have been running it I’d have avoided unnecessary buys like Rhodes (didn’t need him as had 6 strikers already) and Abdi (was similar to what we already have ignoring the obvious issues) and I’d have sold FF and Reach when their stock was high and reinvested.

Its been poorly run but we seem to have people who believe we can balance the books and still be competitive which isn’t the case. It’s a loss making business at this level 

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

If I was him I’d take the 6 point deduction every 5 years and just go for it, FFP is a joke.

But even if we plan to comply with it, given the stadium sale, Bruce compo and Joao money right now we’re nowhere near that £39m rolling loss limit. We can afford to spend more on players to make us decent again. A bigger question is does Chansiri have the cash.. he’s cheeky asking for these prices to watch them play if he doesn’t plan on investing

Some of our fans live in a universe where they’re happy to pay 40 quid to watch 4 first half home goals in 20 odd games. Bizarre

You must be on the windup. 

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It depends though, it’s not really about getting all of the money back when the end result of promotion is so much more. For me if we paid Fletcher 35k a week for 4 years on a free transfer, that’s about £7m for 4 years which I think was good value. Same with Hooper, he’s not one you’d look for resale on he’s a player to get you over the line.

If id have been running it I’d have avoided unnecessary buys like Rhodes (didn’t need him as had 6 strikers already) and Abdi (was similar to what we already have ignoring the obvious issues) and I’d have sold FF and Reach when their stock was high and reinvested.

Its been poorly run but we seem to have people who believe we can balance the books and still be competitive which isn’t the case. It’s a loss making business at this level 

Yeah and how did that work out again? 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, 83owl said:

You must be on the windup. 

I get that we aren’t going at the moment because of covid

but ignoring that, do you think when the 2020/21 accounts come out in 18 months time we’re going to be losing £39m over 3 years with the squad and wage bill we now have and that money coming in. We’re going to be nowhere near it

That means FFP isn’t the limiter for us right now it’s more that Chansiri doesn’t want to spend 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Yeah and how did that work out again? 

It’s what’s required to get yourself in contention, doesn’t guarantee anything. Now a similar level of investment is needed again to get us back in the top 6

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

I get that we aren’t going at the moment because of covid

but ignoring that, do you think when the 2020/21 accounts come out in 18 months time we’re going to be losing £39m over 3 years with the squad and wage bill we now have and that money coming in. We’re going to be nowhere near it

That means FFP isn’t the limiter for us right now it’s more that Chansiri doesn’t want to spend 

They will probably come out about 2048/49.

Regarding the original post yes. Under anything like normal circumstances the record of Monk would have probably got him fired. The circumstances we are now in (financial, pandemic/ no crowds, compressed season, points deduction etc etc) it looks like he is staying for better or worse. 

It terms of the playing style it is hard on the eyeballs that’s for sure but against Bournemouth and some of the second half against Millwall I did actually find myself enjoying the games a bit. Not champagne football, or even bread and butter football (more dry bread with a glass of water) but a hungry man is glad of even the most meagre of meals!

On the Fletcher front when he was fit and on the pitch he was one of my absolute favourite players. I’ll never forget him basically shredding Leeds single handed on more than one occasion.

But, could we have kept him on the pitch enough for the money it would have cost us to keep him?

We will never know. Even if he is fit all season for Stoke it doesn’t mean we would have kept him fit (we have real form in injuring players and not seeing them back for a dogs age- Luongo being the latest). 

Was Fletch mercenary in how he left us? A bit I guess, but can’t blame an old warrior for wanting one last payday for putting his body on the line. 

After all, those hair transplants don’t buy themselves!

• Like 2