Some stats for you

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I like reading your opinions on football

Youre quite accurate in many of the things you usually say

But to cling onto this theory that the forwards are getting the ball time after time after time, from pass after pass after pass, and cross after cross after cross and wasting it is really really strange

Especially when posting it on a public forum of Wednesday fans who all watch the games with the own eyes

I just think you've chosen the wrong path here straight to incorrect village,  and you're refusing to acknowledge that your inbuilt sat nav is faulty

Hey Neil (it is Neil, isn't it), take a chill pill. 

Hirsty is making some decent points which the stats will support, whilst also acknowledging, fairly, that a lot of our crosses are rubbish.

IMHO being so aggressive to fellow posters is no way to encourage debate on your forum

More from Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho, speaking to Sky Sports: “These two wins away 1-0, Burnley and here, they can tell us it is not always possible to play beautiful and to score three or four goals and be fluent. You need to keep clean sheets, we tried to score, we tried and tried and tried. We forced all the way against a very organised opponent.

A point worth remembering. Especially when are main objective is to avoid relegation. The best teams start with a good defence and get that right first. 

17 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Hey Neil (it is Neil, isn't it), take a chill pill. 

Hirsty is making some decent points which the stats will support, whilst also acknowledging, fairly, that a lot of our crosses are rubbish.

IMHO being so aggressive to fellow posters is no way to encourage debate on your forum

Hey Dave (it is Dave isn't it?)
I'm not being agrgessive at all!

lol

Hirsty makes great points usually but I don't think trying to convince me we're whipping in a plethora of gilt edged chances from the wings is one I can accept

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Hey Dave (it is Dave isn't it?)
I'm not being agrgessive at all!

lol

Hirsty makes great points usually but I don't think trying to convince me we're whipping in a plethora of gilt edged chances from the wings is one I can accept

Nobody at any point has said that but do carry on. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

the fact the forwards Monk has signed and chosen to pick regularly aren't actually strikers does not help in terms of good movement and getting on the end of crosses. 

48 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

they are not natural strikers and their movement and lack of experience and know how in terms of playing as a striker won't help them get on the end of crosses

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We currently average the 5th most crosses per game in the Championship. 

Would it be fair to say that the messaging here is mixed though?

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Minesapint said:

More from Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho, speaking to Sky Sports: “These two wins away 1-0, Burnley and here, they can tell us it is not always possible to play beautiful and to score three or four goals and be fluent. You need to keep clean sheets, we tried to score, we tried and tried and tried. We forced all the way against a very organised opponent.

A point worth remembering. Especially when are main objective is to avoid relegation. The best teams start with a good defence and get that right first. 

Ask the owner if he thinks the main objective now is to avoid relegation. 

It certainly shouldn't be now the points deduction has been cut in half. If all we are aiming for over the remaining 35 games is to get half a dozen points or so than 3 teams then it should be a formality and we can all celebrate a great success!.

I didn't see us trying to score too much and take the initiative to the likes of Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe and we didn't manage clean sheets either. For a team to be so intent on being hard to beat, losing 5 of our first 11 matches and winning just 3 with a -4 goal difference isn't a great result.  

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Ask the owner if he thinks the main objective now is to avoid relegation. 

It certainly shouldn't be now the points deduction has been cut in half. If all we are aiming for over the remaining 35 games is to get half a dozen points or so than 3 teams then it should be a formality and we can all celebrate a great success!.

I didn't see us trying to score too much and take the initiative to the likes of Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe and we didn't manage clean sheets either. For a team to be so intent on being hard to beat, losing 5 of our first 11 matches and winning just 3 with a -4 goal difference isn't a great result.  

It's just all a bit porridge isn't it?

Chairman says promotion
Monk says he thinks we're playing well
We've got 4 points from the last 6
Yet it's all so utterly depressing and even worse to watch

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Would it be fair to say that the messaging here is mixed though?

No.

• What those points are saying is that Monk has chosen to go out and get players who are not strikers and he keeps picking them ahead of the only striker we have. 
  • They don't naturally play as strikers therefore won't make the most of the crosses we do put in the same way that a natural striker would do
  • We play a system that results in us putting in a fair few crosses, these are of mixed quality. The fact we don't have any strikers to aim for and don't have midfielders who are suited to getting into the box and getting on the end of crosses or picking up clearances on the edge of the box makes our tactical approach somewhat pointless. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No.

• What those points are saying is that Monk has chosen to go out and get players who are not strikers and he keeps picking them ahead of the only striker we have. 
  • They don't naturally play as strikers therefore won't make the most of the crosses we do put in the same way that a natural striker would do
  • We play a system that results in us putting in a fair few crosses, these are of mixed quality. The fact we don't have any strikers to aim for and don't have midfielders who are suited to getting into the box and getting on the end of crosses or picking up clearances on the edge of the box makes our tactical approach somewhat pointless. 

I again point you back to the stats though mate

We're the 5th highest team for crossing

Where?

Where have you seen the crosses flying into the box?

They don't

They hit the shinpads of the first defender

I post about it in every matchday thread and in other threads all the time

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's just all a bit porridge isn't it?

Chairman says promotion
Monk says he thinks we're playing well
We've got 4 points from the last 6
Yet it's all so utterly depressing and even worse to watch

The owner saying promotion is a bit far fetched but settling for just staying up when we have 35 games to get just a handful of points more than some of the dross around us is not on either - a bit porridge as you say.

4 points from 2 games in isolation is a good return - but in the backdrop of 0 points from the previous 4 games and 12 points from 11 matches overall it is nothing to get carried away with and there isn't a great expectancy that we will continue taking 3 or 4 points from 2 games consistently. 

As you say, the style of football is not going to sell any tickets and had we not been in a pandemic the people paying to watch this would decreasing. 

Hard to believe that the club were surprised that 55% chose to get their money back rather than continue watching us last season and I'm pretty sure season ticket numbers for this season decreased per the sales made in January.

I wonder how many are choosing to wipe £10 off the value of next seasons ticket every game currently.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I again point you back to the stats though mate

We're the 5th highest team for crossing

Where?

Where have you seen the crosses flying into the box?

They don't

They hit the shinpads of the first defender

I post about it in every matchday thread and in other threads all the time

lol

I agree the quality isn't great, it's not like we've got Antonio or Marshall whipping them in. But it doesn't hit the first man every time and I've proven that just on 1 cross in the last game, generally the standard across the division will be hit and miss. 

We are less likely to score from the ones that does make it past the shins of the first defender or don't float into the stand as we have no recognised strikers and no attacking goal scoring midfielders.  

I’m not brilliant at finding strikers, but if you type in a search looking for out of contract strikers a reyt shed load appear in a flippin great long list from most expensive to cheapest. A pairing of Mario Balotelli and William Bony up for grabs...come on Mester Chansiri shek t’moths aht o’ t’cheque book!

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree the quality isn't great, it's not like we've got Antonio or Marshall whipping them in. But it doesn't hit the first man every time and I've proven that just on 1 cross in the last game, generally the standard across the division will be hit and miss. 

I dunno mate - to my eyes we're not getting crosses into the box at all

The forwards are getting no service

Of course you can point to the one cross from the last game as an example, but I'd point you to the 90 minutes of the game that I'm watching that takes place in front of me where the forward line is having to go out wide or back into midfield to get a touch of the ball

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The owner saying promotion is a bit far fetched but settling for just staying up when we have 35 games to get just a handful of points more than some of the dross around us is not on either - a bit porridge as you say.

4 points from 2 games in isolation is a good return - but in the backdrop of 0 points from the previous 4 games and 12 points from 11 matches overall it is nothing to get carried away with and there isn't a great expectancy that we will continue taking 3 or 4 points from 2 games consistently. 

As you say, the style of football is not going to sell any tickets and had we not been in a pandemic the people paying to watch this would decreasing. 

Hard to believe that the club were surprised that 55% chose to get their money back rather than continue watching us last season and I'm pretty sure season ticket numbers for this season decreased per the sales made in January.

I wonder how many are choosing to wipe £10 off the value of next seasons ticket every game currently.

I still can't believe that only 55% chose refunds

I'm gobsmacked by that

But then again we have normal working class Sheffield people come onto the site to say they wish they could do a bit more financially to help billionaire Chansiri fund the club

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I still can't believe that only 55% chose refunds

I'm gobsmacked by that

But then again we have normal working class Sheffield people come onto the site to say they wish they could do a bit more financially to help billionaire Chansiri fund the club

I kept watching because regardless of how bad we are this is my team and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else when we are playing. 

It is bizarre that people claimed to want to keep funding the club as a reason for not taking a refund at a time when normal folk were under threat of job losses and our footballers continued to take thousands of pounds out of the club with no apparent pay cut when they were not playing. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I kept watching because regardless of how bad we are this is my team and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else when we are playing. 

It is bizarre that people claimed to want to keep funding the club as a reason for not taking a refund at a time when normal folk were under threat of job losses and our footballers continued to take thousands of pounds out of the club with no apparent pay cut when they were not playing. 

Amen to all that mate
it's nuts

I think some fans think we're still in the 1970's where things like SAVE OUR OWLS most definitely did help keep the club afloat

That was before billionaire owners giving millionaire football agents milllons of pounds to help them sign millionaire footballers and paying them million of pounds to sit at home and not even play them

Staggering how a working Sheffield bloke would want to contribute to that utter madness when the going is getting tough

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop