Some stats for you

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You can say the same about our fans and how they've been towards Rhodes over the last couple of years

In what way?

Fans have a right to be critical when their record signing fails to live up to expectations.

This season Monk has new coaching staff and seemingly gave Rhodes a fresh start by picking him in the starting 11 for the first league game. Rhodes repaid this faith with a goal in a 2-0 win.

Since then he has started 1 league game. 

Other strikers have been preferred in 9 league matches - from which we have scored 4 goals with the chosen strikers scoring a grand total of 1 between them in those 9 matches.

Let’s not go overboard with criticism of our attacking play. Millwall came for a 0-0 and Rotherham Wycombe etc did the same. We had enough chances to win yesterday despite that. We’ll score against teams that play a more open game. 

Individually, Windass has done ok in his time here, always looks lively, quick willing runner and gets shots in. Paterson looks like he’ll be useful if we can get crosses in the box. Kachunga/Marriott don’t look great so far admittedly but probably deserve more minutes before we judge them harshly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jack whitham said:

Thank god we brought Beattie in 😂😂😂

I guess Beattie could work 24/7  365  with them but if the rest of the team don't ever pass to them or give them the ball in first team Championship games then it's like umbrella training waiting for the storm that never comes

Owlstalk Shop

17 hours ago, flash said:

It’s a supply issue. The issue in supply comes from the formation which makes us more solid (well at least when Iorfa plays) however hinders our creativity. 

Palmer, Harris, Odubajo..... these lads are to going to supply the strikers with much. 

Our goals this season will come from set pieces or possibly counter attacks hate to say unless we sign a few wing backs in January (or possibly try Penney). 

We need to sign Siriki Dembele from Peterborough, great little midfielder and scores goals.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I guess Beattie could work 24/7  365  with them but if the rest of the team don't ever pass to them or give them the ball in first team Championship games then it's like umbrella training waiting for the storm that never comes

I do agree with that but still doesnt stop us working on our finishing.

11 minutes ago, jack whitham said:

I do agree with that but still doesnt stop us working on our finishing.

I don't think we have done

I think we're still working on it

Problem is - from kick off to full time whistle in Championship league games they dont' get a kick of the ball unless they run back into defence

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think we have done

I think we're still working on it

Problem is - from kick off to full time whistle in Championship league games they dont' get a kick of the ball unless they run back into defence

lol

We currently average the 5th most crosses per game in the Championship.

Not all of those end up in the stand behind the goal, the fact we have bought a load of forwards who are more suited to playing as a second striker or wide attacker doesn't help.

Nor does the fact we picked up 4 points from the opening 2 games who Rhodes and Windass as a partnership and Monk has not chosen to use this pairing since.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

We currently average the 5th most crosses per game in the Championship. 

You're confusing 'crosses' with our forwards actually getting the ball

We can put 6236769 crosses in each match but if they all just smash into the first defenders shin pads it's a meaningless stat

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You're confusing 'crosses' with our forwards actually getting the ball

We can put 6236769 crosses in each match but if they all just smash into the first defenders shin pads it's a meaningless stat

They don't all smash into the defenders shin pads though and the fact the forwards Monk has signed and chosen to pick regularly aren't actually strikers does not help in terms of good movement and getting on the end of crosses. 

Yes the delivery is not the best but the shape of the team, the tactical approach and Monk choosing to bin off a semi-effective partnership after 2 games when what he has gone with since hasn't worked at all are major contributing factors.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh but they do

Like the one Palmer played in to Reach second half yesterday and he controlled it and then took a fresh air shot? 

No - like the 99.9999999% of 'crosses' we make

OK mate, I've just provided an example of one in the second half of the last game where that didn't happen so for you to be statistically correct with your number, on average the previous 99.9999999999 crosses that we sent in hit the shins of the first defender. OK.  

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

OK mate, I've just provided an example of one in the second half of the last game where that didn't happen so for you to be statistically correct with your number, on average the previous 99.9999999999 crosses that we sent in hit the shins of the first defender. OK.  

Dont' take my word for it mate - ask around

Personally I don't think our forwards are getting an absolute glut and a total avalanche of crosses and passes that they're wasting but if you think otherwise then fair enough. I've not seen that to be fair. 

Owlstalk Shop

Dont' take my word for it mate - ask around

I don't need to, I watch us play. There were plenty of crosses yesterday that didn't hit the first man. They are far from great quality on a regular basis but there are some decent ones to work with, the fact we don't have strikers on the pitch and set up with 6 defensive players in the starting 11 at home doesn't help.  

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't need to, I watch us play. There were plenty of crosses yesterday that didn't hit the first man. They are far from great quality on a regular basis but there are some decent ones to work with, the fact we don't have strikers on the pitch and set up with 6 defensive players in the starting 11 at home doesn't help.  

I like reading your opinions on football

Youre quite accurate in many of the things you usually say

But to cling onto this theory that the forwards are getting the ball time after time after time, from pass after pass after pass, and cross after cross after cross and wasting it is really really strange

Especially when posting it on a public forum of Wednesday fans who all watch the games with the own eyes

I just think you've chosen the wrong path here straight to incorrect village,  and you're refusing to acknowledge that your inbuilt sat nav is faulty

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I like reading your opinions on football

Youre quite accurate in many of the things you usually say

But to cling onto this theory that the forwards are getting the ball time after time after time, from pass after pass after pass, and cross after cross after cross and wasting it is really really strange

Especially when posting it on a public forum of Wednesday fans who all watch the games with the own eyes

I just think you've chosen the wrong path here straight to incorrect village,  and you're refusing to acknowledge that your inbuilt sat nav is faulty

I never said that at all mate.

• I acknowledged that the service isn't the best but just pointed out that it isn't all terrible
  • I never said the forwards are getting the ball and wasting it time after time, I said they are not natural strikers and their movement and lack of experience and know how in terms of playing as a striker won't help them get on the end of crosses
  • I pointed out that Monk's negative tactics, setting out not to lose and picking teams full of defensive players doesn't suit making loads of crosses as we wont have enough players in and around the box to benefit from them.  

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

• I pointed out that Monk's negative tactics, setting out not to lose and picking teams full of defensive players doesn't suit making loads of crosses as we wont have enough players in and around the box to benefit from them.  

Total contradictions now

FFS

Owlstalk Shop