Chansiri - The players are to blame. "On the pitch the manager can't do anything"

Today Chansiri said this about not sacking Monk

"It’s easy to sack the manager but sometimes it is not 100 per cent the manager’s fault.

For me on the pitch, it is more the fault of the players.

On the pitch, the manager can’t do anything"

Something that a few people agree with and post on a regular basis 

I've never really agreed 100% with that and feel that managers can definitely influence what goes on during games, but I'm not 100% confident in that view EITHER

What do you think? 

Can a manager do something about it if its going wrong on the pitch?

What about the time between games?

What about the initial tactics, team selection too?

Or is it the case that the players (as Chansiri has said today) just aren't good enough?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313

Totally the managers fault.. he picks the team and the tactics and is free to make changes to both in between games and during them as well.

If the players aren’t performing they shouldn’t be selected. You can make the argument we don’t have any good enough but I find that hard to believe. Particularly when the same things happen with different groups of players last season and this.

No I blame the manager fully. He sets the style of play he wants, he sets out the tactics.

If monk was training then all week to pass and move and build through midfield, then on match days the players just hoof it, then the players are to blame.

Monk is clearly telling them to go direct as l which is producing done shocking football.

Edited by agentwalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was one of the things that I think Chansiri got more right than wrong.

Monk is responsible for setting tactics, that's clear.  The players are responsible for carrying out those instructions and performing at a level that their salary demands.  

Who is to blame for all the goals shipped at Rotherham?  Monk or Dawson?  There's nothing in Monk's tactics that say "give three goals away".   On the flip side, Monk is too negative and we never look like winning (even when winning), and that's because we seem happy as larry at 1-0 up defending for our lives.  That's tactics, and that's Monk's fault.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Totally the managers fault.. he picks the team and the tactics and is free to make changes to both in between games and during them as well.

If the players aren’t performing they shouldn’t be selected. You can make the argument we don’t have any good enough but I find that hard to believe. Particularly when the same things happen with different groups of players last season and this.

^^^ simply This. 
We have all seen how we flirt with the definition of insanity. I.e Keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. 
He needs to be creative and flexible. 
He is neither. 

• Thanks 1

It’s up to the management to get the players performing. 

And if they aren’t performing and the manager is doing all he can, it’s up to the chairman to get the right players in so the manager can do his job. 

Again, something our chairman doesn’t grasp. He’s making excuse and excuse. He doesn’t know enough about football. 

• Like 1

Guest Hornsby
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Today Chansiri said this about not sacking Monk

"It’s easy to sack the manager but sometimes it is not 100 per cent the manager’s fault.

For me on the pitch, it is more the fault of the players.

On the pitch, the manager can’t do anything"

Something that a few people agree with and post on a regular basis 

I've never really agreed 100% with that and feel that managers can definitely influence what goes on during games, but I'm not 100% confident in that view EITHER

What do you think? 

Can a manager do something about it if its going wrong on the pitch?

What about the time between games?

What about the initial tactics, team selection too?

Or is it the case that the players (as Chansiri has said today) just aren't good enough?

OK, lots of PR , but watching that Spurs documentary confirmed Jose's tactical brilliance.

Especially half -time analysis and chats and changes that transformed team and game.  Impressive.   

Carlos, Bullen, Bruce, Jos and Monk have been unable to get the players performing on a consistent basis.

Does that mean they are all crap or we have probably got mentally weak players who lose concentration at

certain points in nearly every game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess there is an element of both. 

What goes against Monk in this argument is that he has signed 8 new players and also had 2 loanee players that have returned to the 1st team picture. So that’s 10 players different that we didn’t have last season.

Yet the results are just as bad as they was from Boxing Day onwards.

But I also don’t think it’s as black and white as the manager has no influence on players that are on the pitch. 

Of course the manager can have an influence, but not sure if that is what he was meaning.  The manager can pick the best performing players from training, know they are up for it and fit, put them into a system they are happy with and encourage them to give it their all.  Then when the match starts they don't deliver, fluff their lines, miss the open goal, make a defensive mistake that costs a goal, get them selves sent off, miss the play off penalty shoot out decider (not the same player all in one game of course), can understand why sometimes all a manager can do is put his head in his hands lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

What was the difference between the Bournemouth result and the previous three then ?  

Maybe they got wind that DC wasn't blaming Monk and that he was staying.

They would be the one's shipped out.

May as well make the best of it and put some effort in.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Maybe they got wind that DC wasn't blaming Monk and that he was staying.

They would be the one's shipped out.

May as well make the best of it and put some effort in.

Or maybe we weren't scratching about trying to cover injured defenders shoehorning players in positions that they weren't comfortable with...hence the mistakes. When all our defenders are fit we are ok...it's up front we are lacking but you can't upgrade properly for another couple of transfer windows. Unfortunately that's where we are at the moment