Marriott

Great performance last night and the tone set by the energy, work rate and movement of Windass and Katchunga up front. 

Just an observation and not intended as criticism but we need to rotate a three of the aforementioned and Patterson up front. Marriott has started 4 games and we’ve lost all 4. 6 games he hasn’t started W 3 D 2 L 1. The way we played last night and in other games this season with decent pressing and high energy all falls down when Marriott starts. Just saying.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Great performance last night and the tone set by the energy, work rate and movement of Windass and Katchunga up front. 

Just an observation and not intended as criticism but we need to rotate a three of the aforementioned and Patterson up front. Marriott has started 4 games and we’ve lost all 4. 6 games he hasn’t started W 3 D 2 L 1. The way we played last night and in other games this season with decent pressing and high energy all falls down when Marriott starts. Just saying.  

Think it’s more to do with playing a bit dogger in those past games rather than Marriott being the reason. Plus he needs playing in rather than having it hoofed up to him. Just a different style of player. Hopefully a goal will set him off.

• Like 3

He looks a bit "muscle mass" heavy to me which will make him physically powerful.  It's ok to have strength but muscle mass is typically associated with bursts of pace rather than constant pace so it could be that he currently has the wrong physiology for a pressing game (which is what it appears Monk wants his forwards to carry out).  Maybe that's why he looks like "little boy lost" at times.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shandypants said:

He looks a bit "muscle mass" heavy to me which will make him physically powerful.  It's ok to have strength but muscle mass is typically associated with bursts of pace rather than constant pace so it could be that he currently has the wrong physiology for a pressing game (which is what it appears Monk wants his forwards to carry out).  Maybe that's why he looks like "little boy lost" at times.  

He's an elite athlete, i haven't seen anything from him to question his aerobic capacity. He seems fit as a fiddle. We don't actually play at that high a tempo either, so it's not like recovery is an issue. 

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

It's a strange one. Derby fans and Luton fans rated him, thiught we'd pulled off a good deal, but by all accounts he's woeful. Bizarre 

totally agree - his best position is definitely the bench and coming on for the last 10-15 mins

2 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Just another wasteless signing.

I hate criticising and he definitively needs more time. BUT, he has been absolutely woeful for us. So far, he has offered less than Rhodes. 

He cant hold the ball up, has no place, he isn't the strongest and he isn't a poacher. He also loses the ball, fouls or is offside everytime the ball goes to him.

We need a step change in performance. 

Saw him many times live playing for Derby the last few seasons and he's a very good player.

In ways though I think he's similar to Rhodes in that he needs the ball played into his feet around the penalty area and he'll score goals. Not ideal lumping long balls up to him, which suits players like Fletcher.

I think Marriott would be more suited to the type of set up and we did last night.

Windass played up top with Kachunga just off him and we were looking to play passes down the channels for Windass to run onto.

Marriott can play the role Windass and is probably quicker.

What has happened previously is that he has been stuck up their with Paterson and expected to feed on knock downs from long balls. Very difficult for that to work.

Play him in that Windass role and he has the pace to hurt teams 

• Like 1

Thought windass was effective again up top last night gives us something including Marriott so far don’t? Think once Marriott up to speed he’ll be ok? Like someone said remind me bit of hooper when he first signed clearly off the pace atm