Dom Howson

27 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

All the pundits have said that Monk has been backed.

Yet from some fans on here you’d think he hasn’t. 

I suppose Chansiri backed Monk as much as he could within the godawful circumstances he'd created for him, but in the grand scheme of things, adding three free transfers, three loans and a couple of £500k forwards was hardly going to catapult us into the upper echelons of the Championship given the calibre of player we've lost in recent seasons.

Thanks to our previous overspending and the resultant points deduction, we were in no position to attract higher quality players and must have been among the least attractive Championship teams to join this pre-season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

Don't think there's any question that he's been backed.

The question is; how long will it be before we start to see a return on that backing?

The problem a lot on here have is that they want instant success. It's a question of being realistic and managing your expectations.

With the money spent, and the time Monks had with the players, I think it's a reasonable expectation that we should have got at least a point from games against Rotherham, Wycombe and Luton.

I imagine there would still be doom around the place if we got three draws, but we've actually given three points to the three teams we need to finish above, and never looked like scoring a goal against them.

If we get smashed 5-3 tonight and we've created enough chances to get a 5-5 draw, then I'll hold my hands up and say Monk has something to work with.

Shots on goal is the only stat I'm interested in tonight and the scoreline.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I suppose Chansiri backed Monk as much as he could within the godawful circumstances he'd created for him, but in the grand scheme of things, adding three free transfers, three loans and a couple of £500k forwards was hardly going to catapult us into the upper echelons of the Championship given the calibre of player we've lost in recent seasons.

Thanks to our previous overspending and the resultant points deduction, we were in no position to attract higher quality players and must have been among the least attractive Championship teams to join this pre-season. 

It's all about the contracts the players are on. They have come from Cardiff, Wigan and Derby these players. We're spending above the levels of Luton, Wycombe and Rotherham.

Three embarrassing results. Tonight we're well and truly the underdog. Can we show the same fight as Wycombe and Rotherham?

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

With the money spent, and the time Monks had with the players, I think it's a reasonable expectation that we should have got at least a point from games against Rotherham, Wycombe and Luton.

I imagine there would still be doom around the place if we got three draws, but we've actually given three points to the three teams we need to finish above, and never looked like scoring a goal against them.

If we get smashed 5-3 tonight and we've created enough chances to get a 5-5 draw, then I'll hold my hands up and say Monk has something to work with.

Shots on goal is the only stat I'm interested in tonight and the scoreline.

Fair play. Keeping in mind he's only recently got his backroom staff sorted I'm prepared to go along for the ride.

Of course it's incredibly frustrating when we lose to teams we ought to be beating but I'm a little tired of changing manager at every verse end, we need stability and long term thinking.

1 minute ago, Stripes or die said:

Fair play. Keeping in mind he's only recently got his backroom staff sorted I'm prepared to go along for the ride.

Of course it's incredibly frustrating when we lose to teams we ought to be beating but I'm a little tired of changing manager at every verse end, we need stability and long term thinking.

There is no stability in losing week in week out and shambolic performances.

Worst manager in 153 years!

1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

It's all about the contracts the players are on. They have come from Cardiff, Wigan and Derby these players. We're spending above the levels of Luton, Wycombe and Rotherham.

Three embarrassing results. Tonight we're well and truly the underdog. Can we show the same fight as Wycombe and Rotherham?

Time will tell.

Yes, but I doubt they're on the same kind of contracts as the players who've left in the past few seasons. At least I hope they're not, otherwise we'll be hit with another points deduction before too long!

When I look at our squad, I see a mid-table squad, assuming we don't suffer too badly with injuries. Once a few key players are out for any length of time, we're in major trouble. Whether that's enough to keep us up this season, I have my doubts.

As I say, Chansiri has backed Monk in the sense of getting bodies through the door, and I'm sure they're the best we could attract given the circumstances, but they not the kind of signings to help an average Championship team overcome a points deduction...unless the manager is able to pull off something special.

And as you say, those last three results have been embarrassing - nothing special is happening right now, is it?

32 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

The question is; how long will it be before we start to see a return on that backing?

The problem a lot on here have is that they want instant success. It's a question of being realistic and managing your expectations.

but we need some signs we are going the right way, think most would accept us getting beat if we can see a style or signs. 

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Time will tell.

Exactly... Paterson won't have come here for peanuts, same with Windass and we'll be paying top wages/or loan fees for Marriott and Brown.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

I’ve been managing my expectations downwards for quite some time now.

At some point soon I’d like to start managing them upwards again please.

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

The problem is Monk not his signings. It is more than time for him to go . 

Should have gone before lockdown after the Brentford debacle last season.  The writing was on the wall then.

No other team would have carried on with a manager with such a poor record.

21 minutes ago, runningaround said:

but we need some signs we are going the right way, think most would accept us getting beat if we can see a style or signs. 

There are no signs yet we are going the right way, it's too early imo. He's only just got his backroom staff in. We're in this for the long haul. We have to be.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

All the pundits have said that Monk has been backed.

Yet from some fans on here you’d think he hasn’t. 

The majority of people were over the moon with the business we did in preseason. Now because we are playing poo everyone is saying the business was rubbish. 

Doesn’t matter what recruitment we do with Monk in charge. 

2 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

The majority of people were over the moon with the business we did in preseason. Now because we are playing poo everyone is saying the business was rubbish.  

What did you expect them to say?

Oooohh these players really have exceeded our expectations!

Come on mate...

People alter opinions based on what they see.

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What did you expect them to say?

Oooohh these players really have exceeded our expectations!

Come on mate...

People alter opinions based on what they see.

I can see with my eyes that the players we have signed are far better than they’re performing as a team.

We signed solid players who would put a shift in but lack in a little bit of quality. That’s showing in our performances, effort is there, we just lack quality and a game plan that suits the players.