U23s v Millwall (h)

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Dear me, what a joke at every level. Bullen doing a very poor job. 

Forced to agree   :sad:

I think he's blowing his chances of resuming that caretake role with each passing game

Which in turn depends on if/when no, if/maybe if Monk ever gets shown the door

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Interesting, did the U23s return to a flat back four today, before the sending off obviously?

Your guess is as good as mine    :biggrin:

I originally thought a back three with Dawodu and Penney playing WB

But Dom said Penney was in the middle alongside Hidalgo - so who knows

Brennan goes off and is replaced by Rice, that's a straight swap isn't it?

So maybe .......

Dunno

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Your guess is as good as mine    :biggrin:

I originally thought a back three with Dawodu and Penney playing WB

But Dom said Penney was in the middle alongside Hidalgo - so who knows

Brennan goes off and is replaced by Rice, that's a straight swap isn't it?

So maybe .......

Dunno

Penney certainly played defensive midfielder, one of rare positions where Jos didn't play him. 

Guess he had to start there due to Waldock's injury. 

Shame, should have been starting against Bournemouth 😪

Question.  Has Mr Monk dictated that all the SWFC teams should play the same system so there is (supposedly) a seamless transition through the age groups?  Do these results suggest that we don't have the correct players for this, the coaches aren't able to caoch it or a bit of both?

3 minutes ago, Barberphobia said:

Question.  Has Mr Monk dictated that all the SWFC teams should play the same system so there is (supposedly) a seamless transition through the age groups?  Do these results suggest that we don't have the correct players for this, the coaches aren't able to caoch it or a bit of both?

Might be a bit simplistic, but ...

I believe a good coach will get the best out of the players at his disposal

If good players, or the whole team, underperform on a regular basis, then I'd be pointing the finger at the coach

14 minutes ago, Barberphobia said:

It certainly looked like that was the plan and even when the first team changed 11 players in the cup we stuck to the same formation.

In theory, as you suggest, that seems a good idea, but only if you have the correct players for it. Playing Penney in defensive midfield goes against that. As others have said, he really should be in the first team at the moment. He may not have set the world alight in the opening two games of the season but he did start in those games which coincidentally produced 2 of our better results to date. 

The first team also regularly has players in unfamiliar positions which makes a mockery of the development of a preferred system throughout the club. 

9 minutes ago, Barberphobia said:

Biggest reason for poor results is a poor squad. 

Borukov, Preston, Stobbs were all important players in that team and they all got released. 

Not to be miss understood, they should have been released, but they were experienced and decent U-23 players that never got properly replaced and that made squad weaker. 

Than for one reason or other Hunt, Shaw, Grant (and now) Waldock are unavailable. 

That lot was bigges part of our squad that Still struggled a bit last season. 

And perhaps Bullen is not as good manager as Thompson was. 

Personaly I'm not surprised that we are doing poorly and I believe it puts into perspective how hard and what a big achievement was winning the league. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Ozzy seems to play centre back mostly for the U23s

Dawodu seems like our best bet for a 'home-produced' RB

... and I've no idea who Cummings is.  Another trialist?

Where's Hagan, injured along with Grant?   :sad:

Hasn't Grant left for Plymouth? Sure he scored a cracking goal tonight for them.