What Would It Take For Monk To Win You Round?

I think he he managed to go on an incredible run and get us well clear of relegation....

But we all know thats not going to happen, Yes he has not had mega funds to buy new players but he has a modest budget that should see us around mid table at least, ok with the -12 points we would still be in a relegation battle, but we had the chance of 3 games against teams that will likely be around us come the end of the season and we gifted them all 3 points, they were all 6 pointer games and we lost them all....   Although there is a long way to go that will come back to bite us come end of season.

Clearly the players are not playing for him, the new players coming in are just not to the standard, it was going to be difficult getting players to the club in our position but had Monk done a better job end of last season we would have had the -12 points deducted last season and not be in this situation....

I am not sure what indecent photo's he has on DC but it must be pretty compromising for him to still be here...  (For the record that was a joke I am not accusing him of blackmail)

On 03/11/2020 at 09:53, PARKOWL said:

To be in Positive points by the end of the week

closed the gap on relegation rivals by mid December

be out of the bottom 3 by the 1st of January 

would persuade me that hes on the right track 

Post of the thread.  My guess is that is what everyone would accept as a minimum.  

• Haha 1

Well if any of his Chansiri's advisors reads these threads (which I assume someone must) DC will be in no doubt as to the way the supporters feel. Even if he doesn’t watch the games himself, he will be kept advised about the dire standard of football and all the relevant statistics which point to a club having no chance whatsoever of avoiding relegation with Monk (out) in charge. 

One assumes that Thursday's press conference won’t be to advise he media that Monk has been fired, but come Saturday if we don’t beat Millwall he surely must act then. If it’s true that DC wants to sell up, he won’t get much for us in L1. 

Suggested binge viewing for DC on top of video of performances this season - Sunderland till I die. That’s what could happen to us. 

Edited by Devonstrix

Guest wilyfox

To start scoring goals and put a few wins together, which we haven’t done now for sometime. We have no real attacking philosophy or dynamic, which is bizarre considering he’s been in charge over a year now. We should be taking shape by now. Last nights win was a great result against a previously unbeaten side, but, like the Birmingham game it was a 1-nil scrape via a penalty because we couldn’t score without their help. We’re not hurting teams. 

On 03/11/2020 at 09:53, PARKOWL said:

To be in Positive points by the end of the week

closed the gap on relegation rivals by mid December

be out of the bottom 3 by the 1st of January 

would persuade me that hes on the right track 

Well that’s the arguably the first 2 achieved 😂

9 hours ago, wilyfox said:

To start scoring goals and put a few wins together, which we haven’t done now for sometime. We have no real attacking philosophy or dynamic, which is bizarre considering he’s been in charge over a year now. We should be taking shape by now. Last nights win was a great result against a previously unbeaten side, but, like the Birmingham game it was a 1-nil scrape via a penalty because we couldn’t score without their help. We’re not hurting teams. 

How acceptable would it be for DC, if he isn’t ready to sack Monk, then to remind him of the chairman’s original pledge to play attacking football. Perhaps the chairman himself needs reminding of that.

Guest wilyfox
20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How acceptable would it be for DC, if he isn’t ready to sack Monk, then to remind him of the chairman’s original pledge to play attacking football. Perhaps the chairman himself needs reminding of that.

well something’s gotta give because we won’t scrape enough 1-nils to have a good season. 

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Monk has to go, no excuses. 

• Love 1

On 03/11/2020 at 09:44, jonesy87shef said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that Monks tenure has run it’s course and I can’t recall a manager ever coming back from (or even lasting) a run this horrendous.

With DC’s reluctance to do the necessary deed, what would Monk have to do to win you over? Besides resigning. 

How is it possible to get the fans back on side, or to get his support in the first place? Would it take a run of 5 wins in a row, a long unbeaten run, the players playing to and understanding a system? Even just showing some fight, desire and a willingness to attack a team for once? 

How can any manager come back from this or is it an impossible task? 

Good Thread.

It's really difficult, i'm a big stats guy and when I start to look into how we're performing we seem to almost be getting worse the longer Monks reign continues. Likewise when you watch us play and give the team 'the eye test', I feel like it's expected now that we underperform every game, we've also developed a reputation for terrible defensive play especially in the last 10 minutes and we are far to predictable going forward as we create very little from open play.

I still do not think he is the man to take us forward and I think he should have been sacked after the Wycombe game. But like many I was willing to give him a 'fair chance' this season now he's got his own staff, players etc. 

It was a great result vs Bournemouth and now we've only taken a -6 hit we have a great opportunity to build momentum and climb the table. We CANNOT be in the bottom 3 come Christmas so for me for SHORT TERM we need to be out the bottom 6 come 2021. 

LONG TERM I need to see evidence that we are developing some kind of footballing identify and style of play because currently we do not have one and we are a poor team. When we start playing better the results will come so aslong as we're out the bottom 3 i'm not that fussed about results as long as we are playing well. Since January 2020 I think we're dead last in the form table and you look at our performances on the pitch and that's a very fair reflection, we've been awful. We have to get better systemically, the formation isn't working, we have no clue what our best XI is and I can't remember the last time I watched a game where I thought we played well.

• Like 1

I am not proud to say it but nothing will bring me around to liking, rating and wanting Monk as our team manager. Football mangement is not just about being good tactically and bringing in the right new players you have to be good at motivating footballers and it's very apparent to me looking at Monk's Sheffield Wednesday record he's disappointingly below par in this department. 

This is why managers like Warnock get success everywhere they go they are excellent at motivating even average players and getting them playing like world beaters.

I'm with everyone else get Paul Cook in, HE'S a motivator. 

Edited by Owl_80
  • Like 1

For me only winning games on a regular basis will do.

Despite the good result v Bournemouth, I still don't think we are capable of that under him. He is the man for us. He is not a motivator or tactically adept.

Even most of his supporters on here were saying give him 10 games this season.

Well he's had 10 and we've lost half of them. Scored only 6 goals, 2 of which were penalties and 1 an own goal.

Not good enough and we need a change.

The pattern since last Christmas with our 7 wins has been we win a game, then go 4 or 5 without winning and repeat.

Not won back to back games for nearly a year. That has to change by winning on Saturday. 

I want him to resign. I think if he had it in him he would have done that. He strikes me as being too gutless for that though.

However, he is still here so i want two things,

1) An attacking/positive style of play.

2) Give a chance to someone who could make it as a footballer (FDB, Penney) and no longer pick someone who doesn't (Pelupessy). 

I dont care if we win one then lose one if we are going for it in games. We need to be creating chances and be on the front foot.

I also dont care if Pelupessy played well last match, he shouldnt be near the team. I've seen enough of him and he's not a footballer and he's making Bannan worse because you can see he doesnt trust him to be able to do anything. It's plainly clear how much better we are when Luongo is fit but JP is not a replacement.

I genuinely think we need to put a few goals past a top 6 team at home. 

Start taking our chances. 

Beat the teams around us for one. I know its not worth reading into too much, but if we had beaten the 3 teams we all expected us to win, we'd be 2 points off the playoffs. 

Finish midtable this season and I'll be happy.