What Would It Take For Monk To Win You Round?

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that Monks tenure has run it’s course and I can’t recall a manager ever coming back from (or even lasting) a run this horrendous.

With DC’s reluctance to do the necessary deed, what would Monk have to do to win you over? Besides resigning. 

How is it possible to get the fans back on side, or to get his support in the first place? Would it take a run of 5 wins in a row, a long unbeaten run, the players playing to and understanding a system? Even just showing some fight, desire and a willingness to attack a team for once? 

How can any manager come back from this or is it an impossible task? 

So I don’t have the obsession that most on here seem to have with the idea that Monk needs to be sacked. We’ve seen that whoever the manager is under this owner is unable to succeed - there’s a clue there who the real problem is. 

Regardless of that, I can’t imagine the players having much faith in a manager if they keep losing 3 games a week, and they will stop playing for him soon. But I would like them to turn this around and do well, I don’t want any of our managers to fail like some on here seem to want to.

The thing that annoys me is the complete reluctance to change some things but then the constant chopping and changing of others. 3-5-2 can work, i'm sure plenty of teams have made it work however I believe you need a specific set of players to do it. Given our summer was one where recruitment would have been even more difficult than usual sticking with this formation isn't helping at all.

Recruitment wise if he wanted to play 3-5-2 that means you need 3 players in the middle. We currently have Bannan, Pelupessy, Luongo, Brown. For me you need 6 first team midfielders to consistently play that especially when Luongo and Brown have poor injury records. 

Windass, Kachunga, Marriott, Patterson are all "forward " players but none are what you would call a striker. Our only striker (fair enough has been poor over a number of years) scores 1 in 2 games this season however and then demoted to the bench but Marriott, kachunga get chance after chance. 

Penney started 2 games = 2 clean sheets then dropped, rightly or wrongly he was dropped but then players like Harris contribute nothing but play every week.

The insistence on set routines like its American football, punting it out from kick off, Centre backs going up for goal kicks etc are just gimmicks which dont actually work or contribute anything. Also the fake camaraderie/team spirit thing I find annoying. Yes it's important to be positive etc but these things come from a team and environment over time and process through from the top down. The constant capitulations and lack of fight show the spirit for what it is which is just fake. There isnt an ounce of fight in this team whatsoever and that is embodied in our "captains" Bannan and Lees. 

I've cut Monk a lot of slack as the club is an absolute mess from top to bottom but some of the things above I just cant get my head around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

If we can grind out a couple of 1-0 ugly wins from these next 2 games then he should be given a bit longer.
I don't think that would win that many people over but would take the edge of the criticism.

It does feel like we are in limbo a bit as most managers would be replaced by now.

Hes already had much more time than what he deserves. If this was any other club he would have gone. 

If it was forest, probably would have been sacked last November when we were actually doing well lol 

Guest everydays_wednesday
1 hour ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

30 wins 5 nil each match

Still wouldn’t please everyone. “Shocking we put a weak team out in the FA cup quarter final to secure promotion” ! 

Actually, not much.

Keep his 352 balanced by stopping playing inverted WBs.

Stop playing Marriott and Kachunga.

If he does that, and provided the players haven’t given up on him, there’s not much more he can do with this squad and it’s injuries. 

But he won’t. He’ll feck about putting square pegs in round holes and playing awful front-twos. It’s what he does.