WEDNESDAY Vs BOURNEMOUTH (omdt)

13 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The players are lost.  The lack of goals is a killer in a team.  It puts the goalie and defence on edge from the first minute.  You know conceding one, you need to score 2, and we rarely do that.  

It is a team issue not just the strikers.  The chance creation problem has been an issue for 3 seasons especially at home.  It is rooted in lack of pace, a lack of confidence to try different things on the pitch, and a lack of penalty box strength and nous.  The latter we had in Fletcher, we simply do not have that player anymore in the squad.  Paterson isnt in the same league as Fletcher.

It is very, very hard to see a way out of this currently and I fear for the worst tonight.  Borner is likely to play and looks absolutely broken as a player, we know Bournemouth will get lots of shots in early given the relatively poor quality of the goalkeeper.

A chastening defeat - 4-0 - and Bullen in charge again by the weekend.

Agree with most of that, apart from lack of pace. Harris, Windass, Iorfa, Odubajo and Dele-Bashiru for example have pace about them. It's about how you use it.

We are so painfully slow at moving the ball, it does tend to nullify our pace, also playing from so deep makes it harder. 

Completely agree about confidence, we don't look like we have a clue, always look for the easy backwards ball and still take two to three touches to make the pass. 

• Thanks 1

Great OP as per.

Not looking forward to this at all. I am sick of a game every 3/4 days, I get over the previous disappointment and then BANG!.. back into miserable mood once more.

Would it typical Wednesday to win 1-0, however, not this time.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree with most of that, apart from lack of pace. Harris, Windass, Iorfa, Odubajo and Dele-Bashiru for example have pace about them. It's about how you use it.

We are so painfully slow at moving the ball, it does tend to nullify our pace, also playing from so deep makes it harder. 

Completely agree about confidence, we don't look like we have a clue, always look for the easy backwards ball and still take two to three touches to make the pass. 

Only Iorfa is genuinely quick out of that group.  The rest have very good levels of fitness, but aren't that quick.  As you note , the ball play also needs to be quick, that requires practice,  and confidence which we also don't have.  We tend to try and work the ball wide and look for crosses, despite us being pretty poor at crossing and lacking, since the release of Fletcher and Nuhiu, strikers who are dangerous when balls are crossed well into the box.   We also miss the player like K Lee of 3 years ago who can advance us up the pitch by clever runs and excellent one touch passing in the opponent half, and of course running through and scoring goals.

As noted -the squad looks a complete mess.  You can have as much character as you like, but without quality  and confidence you are doomed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's genuinely a t0ss-up tonight as to whether help get my 11 month old son down around 7pm, and then sit with my partner and continue watching The Last Kingdom and then Gold Rush at 9pm, or watch the shower of absolute sheee-ite that is Wednesday.

Edited by ChapSmurf
  • Love 1

We have a deeper underlying problem that has not gone away. For years now our home form has been shocking, if you look at Monk, Jos and even Carlos towards the end we have no fortress. Only Bruce changed our thinking, at the moment we are in a rut. Same for scoring, we never score many , all the forwards that come in look poor.

I think its more to do with the midfield, we have nobody like Palmer Sheridan and Wilson. I think we do better without Bannan, i am sure that a couple of powerhouses can be found this winter break. Although we may be too well adrift by then and it will be difficult to attract any good players. I would send Marriot back, Kackunga has done nothing but at least he is only on a 1 year contract. Dunkley if we ever see him will be good but why  did we sign him knowning he would be unavailable for 3 months or so.

We need a lucky break tonight and hope we get some players back from injury, will sacking Monk bring the change we need - maybe.

• Thanks 1

I'm not grumbling. I saw a great game of football this weekend. Two teams committed to all out attack, some beautiful passes and tackles made, 4 excellent GOALS (yes I know , it included Extra time) and players playing with passion. Unfortunately we can't obtain any of these, because they're Ladies, but any one would have strengthened our team of passionless no-goods.

Maybee  recording should be played on the large screen and all our players, coaches and the Manager should be made to watch every moment over and over again. Let them see what passion and football is all about.

My tribute to Man City and Everton Ladies. Thank the Lord they don't play in the Championship.

• Thanks 1

Why... 

Why with all the doom and gloom around. 

The injury crisis once again looming. 

The hapless monk looking like clueless Carlos without cryptic pstato ramblings. 

Why do I have a wierd inkling. 

A niggling feeling

A slight twinge of optimism. 

This is Wednesday. 

The one thing I've always expected of us is our ability to be inconsistent. 

To do something completely unexpected. 

We can roll the run away leaders over on there on patch on Saturday. 

Then loose to the cut adrift Burton the next outing. 

Were a roller-coaster, like the good old British weather. 

I can see us Sneaking a win, but also capitulation and a 5/6 goal loss. 

Who knows we're Wednesday and that's what we do. 

• Like 1

I am not looking forward to tonights game. I will watch but I might do something else at the same time so I can distract myself from the embarrassing bits. It really has been difficult watching us lately, even when we press it's obvious we are toothless,  great cross, nobody within yards of it, shooting chance, well wide or miles over the bar. The opposition get the ball and out defence suddenly run around like headless chickens.

We are an embarrassment, I should be used to it after all these years but I'm not. Sometimes I wonder why I bother, does it really matter in the big scheme of things? Sadly for me it still does, I can't break that early conditioning. I'm glad my wife and I never had kids, at least I won't pass this down to another generation.

• Thanks 1