Garry Monk chose the new signings. The Chairman has fully backed Garry Monk this season

Just now, McRightSide said:

One of the Championship top assist makers last season

An international player

A seasoned Championship centre half

A player who previously transferred for 7 figures and played in the SPL

Yes, a few cheapo gambles, but to say we’re in the middle of a pandemic it’s hardly scraping the barrel

A player with a leg broken in two places

Owlstalk Shop

Then has Monk taken advantage of The Chairmans naivete?

No way would Delphjon Know any player would have metal rods in his legs, and going by his "footballling acumen" may well think it would make the players legs stronger..e.g

Monk..."And...Mr Chairman..He has two metal rods in his legs!!!"

Delphjon..."Like the Terminator???/"

Monk "EXACTLY the same!!!!"

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, erowl said:

Chey Dunkley has spoken for the first time since joining Sheffield Wednesday, calling the Owls’ a ‘massive club’ while noting the role Garry Monk played in getting him to the club.

lol

Another thread spectacularly backfiring on @owlstalk

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Monk was well backed in the summer in the circumstances.

No club in the league splashed the cash. It was an unprecedented window during a pandemic. Monk was backed to the best of the clubs ability. Why that was the best of our ability is a different story. 

There is enough in the team to score at least 1 goal or pick up 1 point in the last three games 

'In the circumstances' being the operative term here. 

I suppose Chansiri backed Monk as much as he could within the godawful circumstances he'd created for him, but in the grand scheme of things, adding three free transfers, three loans and a couple of £500k forwards was hardly going to catapult us into the upper echelons of the Championship given the calibre of player we've lost in recent seasons.

Thanks to our previous overspending and the resultant points deduction, we were in no position to attract higher quality players and must have been among the least attractive Championship teams to join this pre-season. 

All that considered, we certainly should be capable of better than we've shown in these past three matches, and there's no doubting that Monk is failing to get the most out of the players.

I've always felt that we needed to forge a team stronger than its parts in order to stay up this season. That we're now getting worse results than the component parts would indicate is going to see us relegated once you couple it with our points deduction.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

'In the circumstances' being the operative term here. 

I suppose Chansiri backed Monk as much as he could within the godawful circumstances he'd created for him, but in the grand scheme of things, adding three free transfers, three loans and a couple of £500k forwards was hardly going to catapult us into the upper echelons of the Championship given the calibre of player we've lost in recent seasons.

Thanks to our previous overspending and the resultant points deduction, we were in no position to attract higher quality players and must have been among the least attractive Championship teams to join this pre-season. 

All that considered, we certainly should be capable of better than we've shown in these past three matches, and there's no doubting that Monk is failing to get the most out of the players.

I've always felt that we needed to forge a team stronger than its parts in order to stay up this season. That we're now getting worse results than the component parts would indicate is going to see us relegated once you couple it with our points deduction.

Good post mate -thank you

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Player

Leg broken in two places

Not played since he broke his leg in two places in February
When we signed him he had big metal pins in his leg and yet somehow magically passed a medical

Yeah

Well backed

It’s unorthodox, but, he’s a player and it was a gamble. I don’t believe that this signing is simply the work of the recruitment team with no input from the manager, coaching and medical staff.

Guest Hornsby
47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

*knock on chairmans door*

"Good afternoon Mr Chansiri"

"Right Gary, Come in, sit down. We are here today to discuss who you think we should sign for next season"

"Ah great! That's good Mr Chairman - let's do this!"

"Now as you know I'm absolutely MINTED and it's only the EFL/FFP stopping me doing a massive SPENDAGEDDON but even so I'm so loaded it's unbelievable and even better, I'm putting all my own money in so that should guarantee respect from all the fans too!"

"Great!"

"So Garry - what I want you to do is give me an idea of who we should sign to get us out of this point deduction thing. You can have ANYONE. REmember I'm minted and loaded so I'll get you anyone you like"

"Great that sounds amazing!!"

"Right.. Let's start... so this dream team you want to assemble. Let me know which players and I"ll use my contacts, my skills as a chairman but most importantly all that money that I  have and I'll go get them for you"

"OK that's awesome.. well let's start with my number one target Chey Dunkley. He's a natural born leader, a great player and I want him to be the one to captain the side and lead us to victory!!"

"Ok - I'll go get him for you Garry - with all my money and wonga that won't be an issue because remember I"M LOADED!!!! It's only the EFL stopping me spending my money!!"

"yeah yeah you've said that Mr Chairman"

"You   you want this player then? I'll get on the phone and get him, using all my spending power and money?"

"Yep - I'm sure"

"Hang on.. didn't Dunkley suffer a double leg break last February???"

"Yes Mr Chairman but I think he should he top of the list of players to sign!"

"Yeah but he's not played a single second of football since he broke his leg in two places in February??!!"

"yes but trust me I think he should be our main signing this summer"

"Hang on... hasn't he got MASSIVE METAL RODS In his leg????"

"Well yes but he's definitely the one I want Mr Chansiri"

"A player with a leg broken in two places, who's not played since February, with big metal rods in his leg???"

"Yep - would be a great signing!!"

"But you can have ANYONE Garry. I'm LOADED me - got loads of money. Cash rich I am. I"m MINTED - you can pick anyone you want in football!!"

"Nope it's definitely Chey double leg break, not played since february, metal rods in his leg Dunkley I want"

"Well okaaaayyyyy Garry - then I shall fully back you and go get him for you"

Come on now...

Anyone thinking Monk has been 'backed' this summer needs to stop, think and reassess  their position

Criticise Monk's strategy, tactics, man management, starting lineups, substitutions etc - that's totally right, fair and reasonable

But let's not be trying to suggest that Monk's been 'backed' this summer or that he's picked the players we have got at SWFC.

Too true. But Monk took job job on that basis.

And twenty grand a week .

Only rolling though, so thankfully relatively cheap to can.  

Guest LondonOwl313
13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What this thread highlights is just how much people refuse to see the TRUTH in order to just attack Garry Monk

Look at the replies so far

People crying like babies that they can't twist this signing to fit their views of Monk

It's absolutely pathetic

Nobody is up for discussing how we managed to get a player with a leg broken in two places, with metal rods in his leg, to pass a medical and whether or not it was one of the players on Monk's MUST BUY list and his first choice of player

Let's not deflect, distract and try to to take the thread off topic

Let's talk about whether or not a player with a leg broken in two places was Monk's first choice or not

This Dunkley wouldn’t get in the side anyway in a 4-4-2 (which we should be playing). Not ahead of Iorfa, Flint or Lees. So we’re missing a squad filling crock and that’s the reason he’s not being backed. Right...