46 games

This pathetic rhetoric of not having your best players available - you never will, its 46 games of attrition of which there are bound to be injuries. You don't need to be nostradamus to see that.

But Monk made the decision of who to sign in the summer.

Without central defenders for whatever reason? Back up for defence is Dunkley who isn't near a game after two months - you knew that before you signed him Gary.

Luongo isn't fit so the backup is Pelupessy - you renewed his contract Gary and we all know he isn't lower division level on a regular basis.

You made the choices on quality signings this past few months, bye Gary.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

After the glorious opportunity to rebuild our team has been pissedup against the wall because our recruitment has been shambolic again.

I would love Megson back ,But he is no yes man .Relegation i am afraid with us ,With -12 it was going to be a slow death all season long .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I would love Megson back ,But he is no yes man .Relegation i am afraid with us ,With -12 it was going to be a slow death all season long .

He isn't the answer I'm afraid. Jo's was a dinosaur disciplinarian and that didn't work.

24 minutes ago, mdogg20 said:

*knock on chairmans door*

"Good afternoon Mr Chansiri"

"Right Gary, Come in, sit down. We are here today to discuss who you think we should sign for next season"

"Ah great! That's good Mr Chairman - let's do this!"

"Now as you know I'm absolutely MINTED and it's only the EFL/FFP stopping me doing a massive SPENDAGEDDON but even so I'm so loaded it's unbelievable and even better, I'm putting all my own money in so that should guarantee respect from all the fans too!"

"Great!"

"So Garry - what I want you to do is give me an idea of who we should sign to get us out of this point deduction thing. You can have ANYONE. REmember I'm minted and loaded so I'll get you anyone you like"

"Great that sounds amazing!!"

"Right.. Let's start... so this dream team you want to assemble. Let me know which players and I"ll use my contacts, my skills as a chairman but most importantly all that money that I  have and I'll go get them for you"

"OK that's awesome.. well let's start with my number one target Chey Dunkley. He's a natural born leader, a great player and I want him to be the one to captain the side and lead us to victory!!"

"Ok - I'll go get him for you Garry - with all my money and wonga that won't be an issue because remember I"M LOADED!!!! It's only the EFL stopping me spending my money!!"

"yeah yeah you've said that Mr Chairman"

"You   you want this player then? I'll get on the phone and get him, using all my spending power and money?"

"Yep - I'm sure"

"Hang on.. didn't Dunkley suffer a double leg break last February???"

"Yes Mr Chairman but I think he should he top of the list of players to sign!"

"Yeah but he's not played a single second of football since he broke his leg in two places in February??!!"

"yes but trust me I think he should be our main signing this summer"

"Hang on... hasn't he got MASSIVE METAL RODS In his leg????"

"Well yes but he's definitely the one I want Mr Chansiri"

"A player with a leg broken in two places, who's not played since February, with big metal rods in his leg???"

"Yep - would be a great signing!!"

"But you can have ANYONE Garry. I'm LOADED me - got loads of money. Cash rich I am. I"m MINTED - you can pick anyone you want in football!!"

"Nope it's definitely Chey double leg break, not played since february, metal rods in his leg Dunkley I want"

"Well okaaaayyyyy Garry - then I shall fully back you and go get him for you"

Anyone thinking Monk has been 'backed' this summer needs to stop, think and reassess  their position

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

23 minutes ago, mdogg20 said:

To a certain extent, yes - he has a say in whether he wants a certain player or not, but I seriously doubt the players we've ended up with would have been his first choices. Ultimately, beggars can't be choosers and we needed some bodies through the door.

Thanks to our previous overspending and the resultant points deduction, we were in no position to attract higher quality players and must have been among the least attractive Championship teams to join this pre-season. 

I suppose Chansiri backed Monk as much as he could within the godawful circumstances he'd created for him, but in the grand scheme of things, adding three free transfers, three loans and a couple of £500k forwards was hardly going to catapult us into the upper echelons of the Championship given the calibre of player we've lost in recent seasons.

We've needed to forge a team stronger than its parts in order to stay up this season. It doesn't look like Monk and his team are going to be able to do that, but maybe another manager might be able to find a way to get them playing effectively together?

Whether or not we ever get to find out is another matter, of course.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

*knock on chairmans door*

"Good afternoon Mr Chansiri"

"Right Gary, Come in, sit down. We are here today to discuss who you think we should sign for next season"

"Ah great! That's good Mr Chairman - let's do this!"

"Now as you know I'm absolutely MINTED and it's only the EFL/FFP stopping me doing a massive SPENDAGEDDON but even so I'm so loaded it's unbelievable and even better, I'm putting all my own money in so that should guarantee respect from all the fans too!"

"Great!"

"So Garry - what I want you to do is give me an idea of who we should sign to get us out of this point deduction thing. You can have ANYONE. REmember I'm minted and loaded so I'll get you anyone you like"

"Great that sounds amazing!!"

"Right.. Let's start... so this dream team you want to assemble. Let me know which players and I"ll use my contacts, my skills as a chairman but most importantly all that money that I  have and I'll go get them for you"

"OK that's awesome.. well let's start with my number one target Chey Dunkley. He's a natural born leader, a great player and I want him to be the one to captain the side and lead us to victory!!"

"Ok - I'll go get him for you Garry - with all my money and wonga that won't be an issue because remember I"M LOADED!!!! It's only the EFL stopping me spending my money!!"

"yeah yeah you've said that Mr Chairman"

"You   you want this player then? I'll get on the phone and get him, using all my spending power and money?"

"Yep - I'm sure"

"Hang on.. didn't Dunkley suffer a double leg break last February???"

"Yes Mr Chairman but I think he should he top of the list of players to sign!"

"Yeah but he's not played a single second of football since he broke his leg in two places in February??!!"

"yes but trust me I think he should be our main signing this summer"

"Hang on... hasn't he got MASSIVE METAL RODS In his leg????"

"Well yes but he's definitely the one I want Mr Chansiri"

"A player with a leg broken in two places, who's not played since February, with big metal rods in his leg???"

"Yep - would be a great signing!!"

"But you can have ANYONE Garry. I'm LOADED me - got loads of money. Cash rich I am. I"m MINTED - you can pick anyone you want in football!!"

"Nope it's definitely Chey double leg break, not played since february, metal rods in his leg Dunkley I want"

"Well okaaaayyyyy Garry - then I shall fully back you and go get him for you"

Anyone thinking Monk has been 'backed' this summer needs to stop, think and reassess  their position

He has been backed. We are operating in a global pandemic and start the season on minus points. Attracting quality was always going to be difficult. Given the situation I believe Monk was backed quite well in the summer. The players he’s signed reflect this mental formation he wants to play. 

It’s as if people have forgot we were third in the league last season with a similar spine to the team. The only real casualties we’ve lost are Fletcher and Fox. Both are replaceable. We didn’t sign a left back because Monk thought we could pull of this wing back formation. We signed strikers but none are target men which we needed following the departure of Fletch and Nuhiu. Instead we signed Windass, Paterson, Kachunga and Marriott who look completely lost in this formation. 

Monk has been backed and he’s recruited. There is enough in that squad to pick up results. A League 2 side would at least score and pick up a point in the last three games we’ve had.

Stop making excuses for Monk’s awful tactics and management. Yes we all know the situation in the summer wasn’t ideal but you were on here praising DC for backing him and saying we recruited decently, what has changed?

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

Dean Hughes and David Downes work with Monk on recruitment. Dunkley was on their radar last season as Bruce tried to sign him at Villa. 

Brown and Kachunga were convinced to sign by Monk’s new coach Andy Hughes who worked with them at Huddersfield. They said so in their interviews on arrival.

Windass did relatively well for us last season on loan and fans wanted him back. I thought he started the season superbly but has now gone off the boil. Poor management rather than poor player in my opinion.

Marriott is out of favour at Derby because of the way Cocu plays. I have a lot of Derby supporting mates who think he’s great but Cocu doesn’t like him. He was electric for Derby under Lampard after they signed him for 6.5m from Peterborough. He lost confidence under Cocu and needed the move away to find his form. He’s not a bad player but he’s never going to find his touch again in this formation and under this manager.

Flint and Paterson have plenty of experience at this level. I rate Flint always have and i think he’s a good solid defender. In a 4-4-2 he would do a job as he’s shown throughout his career. I wasn’t sure on Paterson I must admit but he scored goals for Warnock’s Cardiff who got promoted. He’s all effort and is a great character off the pitch, which a lot of fans said we needed ahead of the tough challenge ahead. 

Dele-Bashiru cheap young gamble. Looks like he could be a player, has the physical attributes. But in a side losing weekly where confidence is low not the right environment for the lad to grow.

So I’ve provided context to all our signings right there. Still not been backed? Given the circumstances I think we did well to sign who we did. I’ve also highlighted why some of the players joined us. There is enough in that team to grind out results. Iorfa, Lees, Borner, Harris, Reach, Bannan were all playing in a side who reached third in the league last season too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Dunkley was the first signing we made this last window, and it was about 3 weeks before the season had even started. You seem to be taking the fact we signed an injured player as evidence for how little Monk's been backed, but surely you'd expect such a signing to be made much later in the window when we'd exhausted all the other possibilities. Even if he wasn't ‘first choice’, he obviously figured high up on the list.

Will we even see Dunkley play within the next month? We'll have played almost a third of the season by the time December starts. Just shocking, shocking judgement to have signed Dunkley given the situation.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Dunkley was the first signing we made this last window, and it was about 3 weeks before the season had even started. You seem to be taking the fact we signed an injured player as evidence for how little Monk's been backed, but surely you'd expect such a signing to be made much later in the window when we'd exhausted all the other possibilities. Even if he wasn't ‘first choice’, he obviously figured high up on the list.

Will we even see Dunkley play within the next month? We'll have played almost a third of the season by the time December starts. Just shocking, shocking judgement to have signed Dunkley given the situation.

We will never see Dunkley in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt mate

Not once

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, mdogg20 said:

This pathetic rhetoric of not having your best players available - you never will, its 46 games of attrition of which there are bound to be injuries. You don't need to be nostradamus to see that.

Without central defenders for whatever reason? Back up for defence is Dunkley who isn't near a game after two months - you knew that before you signed him Gary.

Luongo isn't fit so the backup is Pelupessy - you renewed his contract Gary and we all know he isn't lower division level on a regular basis.

You made the choices on quality signings this past few months, bye Gary.

The Dunkley situation is quite frankly beyond the pale - even for Wednesday, a club with a history on these type of signings. We might get the benefit from him in L1 at least.

My question to Monk on Pelupessy would be how much is he on and who else could we have bought/loaned for the same, accepting he had a limited budget. The only reason I could support Monk would be if there was genuinely no else available - and I'm setting the standard fairly low here...

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

After the glorious opportunity to rebuild our team has been pissedup against the wall because our recruitment has been shambolic again.

With very little money and -12 reduction, we were never going to sign quality players.

• Like 1