Bournemouth

Next up Bournemouth. Drew 1-1 against Derby today.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11688/12117127/bournemouth-1-1-derby-county-rodrigo-riquelme-keeps-cherries-unbeaten-start-alive

A must win game...

garymegson

- I Watched our game again today. Plenty of effort all round on the field for me. No signs of a lack of confidence there. Though the end result was misguided.

- Still no signs that they have any ideas of how to create a goal though, which is a worry too us all

- More worrying was Monk's reaction to the question on RS this evening that we only managed to create two goals from open play all season. Monk turned this question on its head and questioned the reporter for asking such a question. Apparently everyone was happy with performances prior to this week.

- Monk is confident he and the players can turn it round. He thinks the players are low on confidence. He is still confident as he knows he's achieved wins in this division before.

- Monk really took exception that the RS reporter questioned how today's result was going to effect him this weekend. Monks reaction is no one is going to hurt more over today's result more than him... (Probably correct Garry as those of us older than 25 have been scarred by 25 years of emotional abuse by SWFC. We come to expect debacles in October now)

garymegson

Now we know Monk or Mr C won't be looking at Owlstalk, but it often appears the local press do. Especially when it's transfer season...

garymegson

If I were able ask Monk one question, it would be how could we improve chance creation in open play?

After listening to Monks equations based on confidence I'd also like to make a couple of suggestions:

My theory is, if he'd have kept Nuhiu we'd have won today, and won against Rotherham, and probably got more points from the previous games...

Everything we create is going to the far post, and we have no height in the box now. Difficult to understand why we let Nuhiu go, when a replacement wasn't secured, especially as hitting that far post seems fundamental to the philosophy of Monkball. Ironically, when Rhodes came on, he started to win headers in their box for us, and he has historically played better off the shoulder of a target man. It strikes me all the strikers signed are the type to play off a target man.

So my suggestion to Monk would be we need to be attacking the near post rather than the far post. Perhaps we need to be cutting chances back on the floor. Perhaps we could create more chances in front of the opponents box on the floor? (Drawing out their defenders to make space in behind)

I think Monks waiting for the players to figure this out, which is nice, but of would be better if someone could suggest it to him, or them...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 0114 said:

This isn’t Championship manager. 

We played well for first 5 games.

Monkmanface

We've not played well since Flecher got the Monk on last Christmas...

We have to move on though, either with or without Monk.

Hitting high balls into three box aint going to work, before the next transfer window.

3 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

It beggars belief. 
The man seems indestructible. 
How have we come to this. 

Monk has got iron balls and the confidence of Donald Trump, I'll give him that.

Great words after the match aren't going to change anything. We need him or someone else to come up with fresh ideas in and around the opponent's box.

20 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Next up Bournemouth. Drew 1-1 against Derby today.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11688/12117127/bournemouth-1-1-derby-county-rodrigo-riquelme-keeps-cherries-unbeaten-start-alive

A must win game...

garymegson

- I Watched our game again today. Plenty of effort all round on the field for me. No signs of a lack of confidence there. Though the end result was misguided.

- Still no signs that they have any ideas of how to create a goal though, which is a worry too us all

- More worrying was Monk's reaction to the question on RS this evening that we only managed to create two goals from open play all season. Monk turned this question on its head and questioned the reporter for asking such a question. Apparently everyone was happy with performances prior to this week.

- Monk is confident he and the players can turn it round. He thinks the players are low on confidence. He is still confident as he knows he's achieved wins in this division before.

- Monk really took exception that the RS reporter questioned how today's result was going to effect him this weekend. Monks reaction is no one is going to hurt more over today's result more than him... (Probably correct Garry as those of us older than 25 have been scarred by 25 years of emotional abuse by SWFC. We come to expect debacles in October now)

garymegson

Now we know Monk or Mr C won't be looking at Owlstalk, but it often appears the local press do. Especially when it's transfer season...

garymegson

If I were able ask Monk one question, it would be how could we improve chance creation in open play?

After listening to Monks equations based on confidence I'd also like to make a couple of suggestions:

My theory is, if he'd have kept Nuhiu we'd have won today, and won against Rotherham, and probably got more points from the previous games...

Everything we create is going to the far post, and we have no height in the box now. Difficult to understand why we let Nuhiu go, when a replacement wasn't secured, especially as hitting that far post seems fundamental to the philosophy of Monkball. Ironically, when Rhodes came on, he started to win headers in their box for us, and he has historically played better off the shoulder of a target man. It strikes me all the strikers signed are the type to play off a target man.

So my suggestion to Monk would be we need to be attacking the near post rather than the far post. Perhaps we need to be cutting chances back on the floor. Perhaps we could create more chances in front of the opponents box on the floor? (Drawing out their defenders to make space in behind)

I think Monks waiting for the players to figure this out, which is nice, but of would be better if someone could suggest it to him, or them...

The last 3 games were must win.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

"He thinks the players are low on confidence."

Isn't addressing lack of confidence the coach's job?

Part of preparing the team... you know, those blokes in the stripey jerseys?

Monk has lapped up everything he's learned in Media training from what I can see. He talks a good game, before and after the match, and that has its merits.

However, he's deflecting, it's nothing to do with confidence. The game plan is floored, and will never work with these players.

I think it can be tweaked, and we will get results. Monk probably will be in charge of the team at Bournemouth, so he's got another chance to turn this around, if he can see what the problem is.