Our worst ever managers

Yorath. I'm still haunted by how bad we were in 2002...

(Chris Turner was a crap manager (and spoiled a lot of fondness I had for him as a player) but a decent Director of Football/ Chief Scout...)

• Like 1

Sadly DC's record of hiring managers is horrific apart from the appointment of Bruce. None of which worked out. Bruce couldn't wait to get out. Carlos and Jos were journeymen, Bruce was proven at this level, whereas Monk's a perennial loser and a failure at this level.

It's clear as day we need another proven manager like Bruce but once DC wakes up and axes Monk, he'll faff about till it's too late and replace him with another journeyman or another perennial loser. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Sadly DC's record of hiring managers is horrific apart from the appointment of Bruce. None of which worked out. Bruce couldn't wait to get out. Carlos and Jos were journeymen, Bruce was proven at this level, whereas Monk's a perennial loser and a failure at this level.

It's clear as day we need another proven manager like Bruce but once DC wakes up and axes Monk, he'll faff about till it's too late and replace him with another journeyman or another perennial loser. 

Carlos was and is a decent manager. Bruce was a top manager. 2 out of 4.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Carlos was and is a decent manager. Bruce was a top manager. 2 out of 4.

Carlos was a journeyman and failed in the play offs twice. Carlos and Jos were both much better than Monk to be fair but none of them are in the same league as Bruce, who was the only proven manager that DC has brought in. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Plonk said:

Statistically I think most would agree our three worst managers have been Eustace, Jo’s and Burtenshaw. All three had poor records and had the club spiralling in a downward direction. So what did we do to replace them.

Burtenshaw was replaced by Len Ashurt, and subsequently Big Jack, and then Wilco. Most people agree that Ashurst did some of of the groundwork for Jack,and brought in some decent players.

Eustace was replaced by Big Ron, the rest is history.

jos was replaced by Bruce, and we saw the green shoots of recovery, before he jumped ship.

My point is that when the club finally realise Monk has joined that esteemed band, they need to be looking at recruiting an experienced guy who can turn this shitfest around. It has been done before. It can be done again.

The worst managers..are the ones with the worst win records..for me. 

19 hours ago, Plonk said:

Statistically I think most would agree our three worst managers have been Eustace, Jo’s and Burtenshaw. All three had poor records and had the club spiralling in a downward direction. So what did we do to replace them.

Burtenshaw was replaced by Len Ashurt, and subsequently Big Jack, and then Wilco. Most people agree that Ashurst did some of of the groundwork for Jack,and brought in some decent players.

Eustace was replaced by Big Ron, the rest is history.

jos was replaced by Bruce, and we saw the green shoots of recovery, before he jumped ship.

My point is that when the club finally realise Monk has joined that esteemed band, they need to be looking at recruiting an experienced guy who can turn this shitfest around. It has been done before. It can be done again.

Agree with this entirely. Len Ashurst was only 36 when he took over at S6 but had already proved his worth at Hartlepool and Gillingham. He also had Tony Toms with him to work on fitness. I often wonder how his methods would go down today. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marshy said:

Chris Turner didn't do fantastically well, I remember sitting in the pub when D A sacked him. Think we were 3rd bottom in L1. What he did do though was bring in young players such as Brunt and Whealen. He could spot a good un, but also some bad uns.

You’re right he didn’t. And who replaced him and turned things round? Sturrock, another big personality with experience that the fans took to.

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not exactly proving your point that one mate

No, I accept there is a weakness in that one, but Ashurst turned the tide before we went really big and went for Jack and then Wilco.

• Like 1

In the lat 40 odd years, I’ve disliked most  our managers a lot more than liked. 

Wilko, Ron, and Carlos are the only mangers I’ve liked really, maybe Sturrock.

Laws was ok as a person, and did ok with some poo players.  Stuart Gray was a nice bloke and did well in bad circumstances, as such. 

The rest...meh. Irvine and Jos stand out as totally negative horrible football. Monk is looking as clueless as Eustace. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Carlos achieved more than any other manager had for decades. I know some might mention League One promotions, but we were always expected to get out of League One quickly. I find it bizarre you’re calling him an horrific appointment when he got us closer to the Premier League than anyone else has, or will probably for another 5-10 years at least. We didn’t cross the line but we could dream and it felt so close. I think unfortunately it will be our best memories for a long long time.

Nobody expected us to get to the playoffs in his first season, we massively overachieved to get to Wembley, and that brought unrealistic achievements for the following season, where we got to a penalty shootout away from Wembley again, after which I think he should have left. Some on here talk about him like he guaranteed automatic promotion with 120 points when he arrived here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carbone said:

Carlos achieved more than any other manager had for decades. I know some might mention League One promotions, but we were always expected to get out of League One quickly. I find it bizarre you’re calling him an horrific appointment when he got us closer to the Premier League than anyone else has, or will probably for another 5-10 years at least. We didn’t cross the line but we could dream and it felt so close. I think unfortunately it will be our best memories for a long long time.

Nobody expected us to get to the playoffs in his first season, we massively overachieved to get to Wembley, and that brought unrealistic achievements for the following season, where we got to a penalty shootout away from Wembley again, after which I think he should have left. Some on here talk about him like he guaranteed automatic promotion with 120 points when he arrived here.

There is a massive, rewriting of history on here. Like Animal Farm (not the muckfilm).

Premier League offer from hometown/boyhood club = Bruce couldnt wait to get out.

We've not really had any really good managers for 20 years, which is why we've been between the championship and L1. 

There have been some managers I liked more than most and some shockers. I have a lot of time for Sturrock, Laws and Gray but don't really look back on the others fondly. Bruce may have been different but we know what happened there. 

I'm not sure what Monk's legacy will be, statistically one of the worst in our history, didn't even try to play attractive football...suppose the best we can say is that sometimes he got the players to look like they give a poo and put some effort in every now and again.....away from home obviously!

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

You’re right he didn’t. And who replaced him and turned things round? Sturrock, another big personality with experience that the fans took to.

There should be a statue of luggy outside Hillsborough instead of those bloody elephants.

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

There is a massive, rewriting of history on here. Like Animal Farm (not the muckfilm).

Premier League offer from hometown/boyhood club = Bruce couldnt wait to get out.

Can you tell me any part of my post there that is a rewriting of history please?