“The players aren’t good enough”

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

Our first 11 is a mid table team. Our squad as a whole is very poor though and only good enough to scrape above the relegation zone. Add to this that many of our first 11 are injury prone means we will see the squad players play more and more this season who arent good enough (thats before you even get into the tactics, selection etc)

Agreed, and with Wednesday you know the best 11 will probably play about 3 times this season, so yeah, relegation fodder. 

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

While ability wise we are certainly not what we were 2/3 seasons ago. I don’t agree with this argument. I look at other Championship clubs and I think this group of players is mid-table and with the right management could push for the top half. Since Christmas under Monk we’ve shown relegation form. A truly shocking run of games and performances, which as Garry would say, compounds the absolute misery of supporting us at the moment.

I’m a firm believer of good management gets the best out of average players. We’ve seen it numerous times at this level. Wilder with them lot. Alex Neil always does a very solid job at Preston with very little investment. Stuart Gray at Wednesday had no money and signed some quality free transfers at the time. He had us organised and solid. I’d also point to sides like Luton and Millwall at this level, who have had significant less investment than us, they always manage to make themselves hard to beat and a challenge for most teams at this level. Us on the other hand under Monk have looked weak, vulnerable, no attacking threat and ALWAYS look like conceding and make howlers. Which for me shows poor management. Individual mistakes is often a result of players feeling nervous, not sure what their role in the side is and spending too much concentrating on what they think they need to do, rather than playing their natural game.

What I’m seeing is a group of average footballers being asked to play a complicated formation they aren’t comfortable. Not playing to their strengths which highlights their limitations quite glaringly. 

I believe we do have quality. And even with players injured like Iorfa, Luongo and Brown, we should be able to set ourselves up and be resilient enough to put up a fight against sides like Luton and Rotherham.

The players aren’t the problem at Sheffield Wednesday. It’s the manager. 

Spot on. 

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

While ability wise we are certainly not what we were 2/3 seasons ago. I don’t agree with this argument. I look at other Championship clubs and I think this group of players is mid-table and with the right management could push for the top half. Since Christmas under Monk we’ve shown relegation form. A truly shocking run of games and performances, which as Garry would say, compounds the absolute misery of supporting us at the moment.

I’m a firm believer of good management gets the best out of average players. We’ve seen it numerous times at this level. Wilder with them lot. Alex Neil always does a very solid job at Preston with very little investment. Stuart Gray at Wednesday had no money and signed some quality free transfers at the time. He had us organised and solid. I’d also point to sides like Luton and Millwall at this level, who have had significant less investment than us, they always manage to make themselves hard to beat and a challenge for most teams at this level. Us on the other hand under Monk have looked weak, vulnerable, no attacking threat and ALWAYS look like conceding and make howlers. Which for me shows poor management. Individual mistakes is often a result of players feeling nervous, not sure what their role in the side is and spending too much concentrating on what they think they need to do, rather than playing their natural game.

What I’m seeing is a group of average footballers being asked to play a complicated formation they aren’t comfortable. Not playing to their strengths which highlights their limitations quite glaringly. 

I believe we do have quality. And even with players injured like Iorfa, Luongo and Brown, we should be able to set ourselves up and be resilient enough to put up a fight against sides like Luton and Rotherham.

Some of our "Footballers" cannot, do what it says on the tin, play football. A scratch team playing in the park on a Sunday know that you pass a ball to someone in your own team. There are times, often quite long, when this simple thing seems impossible for our players.

Our strikers didn't have a single shot at goal against Rotherham, (I am not counting the one that bounced off Marriott as he didn't affect the passage of the ball from his own effort.)

That fact alone says it all. Even a managerless team would have managed a shot.

How Wildsmith finished the game on the bench I simply do not comprehend. Dawson should have got the hook after the first goal.

The players are good enough. Most of them have been involved in top six finishes at some point in their careers. 

On paper, the squad Wilder had at S2 a few years ago was awful.

The squad that Brian Laws nearly got us to the playoffs with was awful.

This squad is better.

But it is poorly led. Poorly managed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

We have a group on average Championship players minus a forward that would worry the opposition and a goalkeeper we can relay on.
Lack of those 2 will probably send us down.

What this squad is missing is the same as the squads for the last 7 seasons:

P.A.C.E.

We have not had pace up front, or anywhere else, since Antonio left.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The players aren't good enough

Totally disagree.

Under the right manager we’re a top 10 team, Steve Bruce proved that in his short tenure. And we’ve had 2 very good transfer windows since he left, moved on the right players and made good additions. The core of the squad remains strong, Iorfa,Lees,Bannan and Luongo would all be regulars in almost every other team in the division. 

I have total 100% confidence that if we appointed the right manager we could still finish the season inside the top half. The assumption that we simply don’t have the talent or the players aren’t good enough is completely false. What we don’t have is a proper philosophy and style of football that we’re trying to play. 

A manager is and always will be the most important factor in the success of a football club. 

If you ever doubt the players aren’t good enough, just remember Wilder took up a United team with mainly free transfers, loanees, signings from lower leagues and a front 2 of McGoldrick & THIRTYTHREE years old Billy Sharp (Jordan Rhodes is still only 30). 

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The squad is not good enough. We were looking all summer at signing a striker on ridiculous wages who does not have the kind of strike rate good enough to get us above mid table, without a minus 12 point start. We then had to "lower" our already low sights and bring in right back who wants to play up front and a player that one of our opponents wants us to get fit for them.

We have also brought in Windass and Kachunga, both of whom are really attacking mdfield players. The only quality players we brought in are still spending too much time on the sick bench and the promising young players are still promising, but do not have enough fit mentors to play alongside them at the moment, to bring them along and help them win points for us. Our fragile stability on the pitch is directly proportional to our lack of quality. For every fit player we need, we have two unfit ones, or an unfit player and a player that does not have the quality we need right now. 

With our complete lack of striking quality, or presence in the air, it makes you wonder why we didn't we keep the much maligned Nuhiu? The last time he played in one of our poor teams, full of crocks and kids, under a manager that nobody liked, he scored 11 goals in half a season (14 altogether), getting better as he went on and finishing with a hat-trick!    

7 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Totally disagree.

Under the right manager we’re a top 10 team, Steve Bruce proved that in his short tenure. And we’ve had 2 very good transfer windows since he left, moved on the right players and made good additions. The core of the squad remains strong, Iorfa,Lees,Bannan and Luongo would all be regulars in almost every other team in the division. 

I have total 100% confidence that if we appointed the right manager we could still finish the season inside the top half. The assumption that we simply don’t have the talent or the players aren’t good enough is completely false. What we don’t have is a proper philosophy and style of football that we’re trying to play. 

A manager is and always will be the most important factor in the success of a football club. 

If you ever doubt the players aren’t good enough, just remember Wilder took up a United team with mainly free transfers, loanees, signings from lower leagues and a front 2 of McGoldrick & THIRTYTHREE years old Billy Sharp (Jordan Rhodes is still only 30). 

Leeds gave us Lees for free 5 years ago and you think he would get in every other team in the division? Iorfa is still very much work in progress, Luongo cost 1m and im pretty sure any centre midfielder that would get in any team in the division would go for more than 1 million. 

Also i'm not sure how steve bruce proved we are a top 10 team considering the team now is completley different and he finished 12th.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Totally disagree.

A totally different scenario now mate a lot of players have come and gone too. I would bet on Nuhiu to score more goals than Marriot or Paterson in the team we have available now.

When this squad were all fit and available to play, we were doing well and minutes away from being on minus 2 points, but when key players got injured we conceded goals immediately and we are still on minus 4, with two of our more solid defenders unavailable this weekend against a team we really need to get 3 points against, having lost to Luton and Rotherham. Quality players do not lie back, or underperform the way our players have been doing. They rise to the occasion and if nothing else they play with professional pride. The body language and effort from some of our players just lately is not good.

If we can get a run and build confidence, this team may start to gel, but it is still in it's infancy and right now looks very thin on skill, technique, or even stamina.

Not good enough. 

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Westwood,hutch etc 

Best 0layercs not playing..

Not rocket science

Mcarthy,KeanePearson,Megson,Howe,Cook,surely 1 will fancy it..

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Totally disagree.

Will have some of what you’ve been smoking lol

When Bruce was here we had Westwood, Hector, Lazaar, Hutchinson, Boyd, Matias, Forestieri, Aarons, Hooper, Joao and Fletcher. Even Abdi and Jones too I think 

You say we’ve had two very good transfer windows since, moving on the right players (presumably the above, all the decent ones). The only good ones we’ve signed since are Luongo, Brown and Flint with the jury out on a few of the new strikers.

That top group of players is a cut above the ones we’ve brought in, although admittedly the new group will be cheaper. But you get what you pay for I guess. 

Find it baffling that someone thinks this current squad is stronger than the one we had under Bruce. That said Monk isn’t getting the best out of what we have and we still have enough to get out of this

At the moment we have:

a goalkeeper whose greatest talent seems to be conceding soft goals

a defence playing 3 at the back but with 6, yes 6, centre-halves currently unavailable*

a midfield which looked quite good when it was Bannan, Luongo and Brown but is greatly weakened when we lose either of those and f***n hopeless when we lose two

a forward line which started off with just Jordan Rhodes then much to my surprise we actually signed 4 strikers (Windass, Kachunga, Paterson and Marriott). However, there's absolutely no quality in that lot at all. The best we can hope for is that they'll run around a lot. I've got to thinking that Rhodes is the best of that bunch. How can we have signed 4 strikers and still not got one who is better than Jordan Rhodes.  

So, the keeper's rubbish, the defence obliterated, the midfield woeful and the strikers cant score.

No the players aren't good enough.

* I remember feeling hard done to when both Pearson and Shirtliffe were injured for the cup final. Imagine having the two first choice centre-halves both injured at once....

5 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The players aren’t the problem at Sheffield Wednesday. It’s the manager and owner.

Fixed it for you.

Guest buster123

I don't know the players and the squad as well as G Megson on paper but he thinks there more than capable of staying up. Says it sounds like Monk's in panic mode throwing darts at a wall trying to find a formula that produces. All his staff are yes Monk yes men. DC hasn't had a clue except for Bruce, since he took over.

We get the ‘players aren’t good enough’ myth every season.

We bring in more/different players

Still not good enough.

Bring more players in.

Still not good enough etc etc

I’ll say that they’re definitely not fit or conditioned enough, hence all the injuries and 80 minute + capitulations.

This is the manager and coach’s fault, and has been since Carlos was here.