Sheffield Wednesday Statement on Season Ticket Refunds

As we approach the end of the 60-day period for 2019/20 Season Ticket rebates, the club are providing this comprehensive update to supporters.

We are currently in the process of actioning cash refunds and every supporter who selected this option will receive their refund.

The initial process was extremely slow at the outset due to a number of constraints. As previously communicated, we were faced with the task of having to implement a brand new ticketing system whilst the extended season was still live given circumstances completely outside of our control.

Ordinarily, such a task would have been carried out in the close season but we had to undertake a major piece of work with our new ticketing partner to ensure the system would allow us to enable a rebate selection process, as opposed to a platform fundamentally designed for regular match ticket purchases.

We offered eight rebate selections, including iFollow viewing and vouchers, donations to the club, spend of future purchases and a pro rata refund. To ensure all supporters did not miss out on their rebate, we extended the initial deadline to 1 September.

Once all selections were made, a manual process began of inputting into each account a dummy transaction with the refund value required that married up with data from the previous system, which was an exceptionally long process. This would then allow us to cancel the transaction off to enable the refund to be made.

Over 55% of Season Ticket holders chose the pro rata refund which has resulted in refunds in excess of seven figures to administer. These were higher figures than anticipated which in turn has led to an extended process.

We will fulfil the rebate option as promised, and although the process may take a short time longer than was anticipated for some supporters, everyone who selected that option will receive their refund. Please note that all refunds are being actioned by telephone only, Ticket Office staff are contacting supporters directly.

With regards to 2020/21 Season Tickets, we communicated our original plans on the basis that we expected a phased return of supporters in October and although this was paused, we, like all clubs across the country, are hopeful of more positive news when the Government discusses this critical issue on 9 November.

In the meantime we thank all our supporters for your patience and understanding and reiterate that we look forward to welcoming you back to Hillsborough at the earliest available opportunity.

Owlstalk Shop

55% is an awful lot.

Clubs can not be subject to the current profit rules based on this.

I did not request a refund for myself and I took the ifollow option, but I did request refund for my kid - he's in the lowest band due to his age so the amount isn't an awful lot.

I hope the biggest percentage is like me - taking the ifollow option for the oldest then refund for the kids.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Once all selections were made, a manual process began of inputting into each account a dummy transaction with the refund value required that married up with data from the previous system, which was an exceptionally long process.

Wow - that's NUTS

Surely there would be a record export function on the old system and a bulk import on the new system? That’s just basic database functionality. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Please note that all refunds are being actioned by telephone only, Ticket Office staff are contacting supporters directly.

So they are calling every support. Surely they can process refunds online? 

I will expect mine after Christmas. 

People do realise that under many circumstances, especially with GDPR now - many details are deleted quite quickly these days.

I know for instance, that once a credit card transaction has gone through for the systems I administrate, a portion of the details are deleted so that fraud cannot occur.   

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I completely disagree with you

• Company sells something for hundreds of pounds
  • Thousands of people buy it 
  • Company then can't provide the product
  • Company offers refund
  • 55% of customers say they want a refund

And you think that's a lot?

I totally disagree with you

I'd honestly have expected it to have been in the high 80%'s at a minimum

I wonder what Chansiri expected it to be if he's saying half of people who spent hundreds of pounds and didn't get the product then wanted their money back is more than expected?

You are entitled to an opinion, but I still disagree.

There were very few games left, and ifollow seemed like a decent option at the time.

We all knew that by taking ifollow would keep money in the club, and we all knew that our season ticket was a sunk cost.

This season is different - but last, absolutely I disagree with you.

This season - i'm really probably thinking that it's going towards next seasons season ticket.

• Like 2

Just now, Salmonbones said:

We all knew that by taking ifollow would keep money in the club 

AND?

Football is a business where billionaires pay millionaire agents millions of pounds to help them sign millionaire footballers for millions of pounds and then pay them millions of pounds in wages

It's not 1974 anymore

• Like 5

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

People do realise that under many circumstances, especially with GDPR now - many details are deleted quite quickly these days.

I know for instance, that once a credit card transaction has gone through for the systems I administrate, a portion of the details are deleted so that fraud cannot occur.   

Not ‘live’ customer data though. 

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Over 55% of Season Ticket holders chose the pro rata refund

These were higher figures than anticipated  

Interesting....

He was probably expecting us to put the money towards a 10 season ticket or club 1867 membership. 

. The man is deluded 

Guest Therealrealist
22 minutes ago, Kameron said:

It’s all the biggest load of blollocks.

Apart from that ‘sports reporters’ piece on monk..🤣