Wildsmith

I think people look back at players like Westwood and Hutchinson (not gonna use their lovely nicknames as that's just gonna make me sick in my own mouth) through rose tinted specs with people still believing  they're actually capable players now

It's bizarre

I don't understand it

To me that's like saying let's get Andy Blair and Brian Marwood back and put THEM into the current side too

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Hornsby
2 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

Let’s not forget why Westwood was dropped in the first place though. He cost us about 5 points in a week due to a number of individual errors. 

I think we can get carried away at times in thinking whoever isn’t in the team is the answer.

That’s not to say I agree with freezing him out though. He should have been given the chance to win back his place, but I’m not sure it would have helped all that much. His best days are behind him.

Regarding Hutchinson, the mistake for me wasn’t letting him go, but not replacing him.

He's 28 in keeper years.

Of the 2 Wildsmith should have started the season as our number 1. Have a feeling now Monk will be to stubborn to give Wildsmith a chance anytime soon. He will have to make yet more mistakes until Monk does anything about it. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

18 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Of the 2 Wildsmith should have started the season as our number 1. Have a feeling now Monk will be to stubborn to give Wildsmith a chance anytime soon. He will have to make yet more mistakes until Monk does anything about it. 

Wildsmith is the same standard as Dawson. They will both cost us goals. Loves letting a shot go under his body JW. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Put it this way

I'd rather have Donald Trump at our club

Right then. You must know something the rest of us don’t because that is a serious statement to make. 

Most of us just see perhaps the best keeper in the championship (or was) dropped because of some vendetta OR personal issue (an issue that was not a problem under Carlos when we were good). 

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think people look back at players like Westwood and Hutchinson (not gonna use their lovely nicknames as that's just gonna make me sick in my own mouth) through rose tinted specs with people still believing  they're actually capable players now

It's bizarre

I don't understand it

To me that's like saying let's get Andy Blair and Brian Marwood back and put THEM into the current side too

Do you think Westwood is worse than our other keepers? At what point did you first think he was done? Genuine questions. 

I think even today a Westwood or Dawson poll would have the same result as the Sack him or back him poll for Monk. 

And yes it is Groundhog Day and this has been done to death. 

Half-watching and half-listening to Channel 4's American Football, I heard them talking about one of the major franchises, who had run into 'bad times' and had come up with a novel idea. They started t the top with the Head Coach and ALL his staff, following the players etc and had a COMPLETE CLEAR OUT AND REBUILD. It took 3 years, a lot of pain and hard work. There had been a complete clear out off the playing and coaching staff, and they became noted for losing runs,, but are finally turning the corner  
Maybe there is a lesson to be lerned

10 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

Wildsmith is the same standard as Dawson. They will both cost us goals. Loves letting a shot go under his body JW. 

Yes I agree they are both of a similar standard (not good enough imo). We need/needed a new number one signing, I think most of us could see that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Half-watching and half-listening to Channel 4's American Football, I heard them talking about one of the major franchises, who had run into 'bad times' and had come up with a novel idea. They started t the top with the Head Coach and ALL his staff, following the players etc and had a COMPLETE CLEAR OUT AND REBUILD. It took 3 years, a lot of pain and hard work. There had been a complete clear out off the playing and coaching staff, and they became noted for losing runs,, but are finally turning the corner  
Maybe there is a lesson to be lerned

Big differences: firstly you can’t be relegated in the NFL, secondly you get first pick of the next crop of college graduates if you are the worst team. Suppose the nearest equivalent here would be weaker teams in the championship getting first pick on players released from the big boys’ academies.

2 hours ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Agree with post. 

Here lies an issue with team selection as Westwood is our best keeper by miles and is very experienced. Its been done to death but its true. Westwood should start over both keepers. 

Same as we should have kept Hutch to fill in for Luongo. 

I'm not sure a 31 year old on 20k a week who is currently struggling to play a full game in the cypriot league is the best option for a backup player given our financial position.

2 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

Part of me agrees, however both have weaknesses and cost us goals and points regularly.

Changing keepers is swapping one problem for another and may do more harm than good (by ruining confidence for example).

Until we get a new keeper we are going to keep having this issue and it would have been a priority for me this transfer window. 

People will say there were bigger priorities, but when you start on minus 12 you really cannot afford to give away cheap goals. 

Already I feel Dawson has cost us points. He was to blame for the first goal against Brentford and I thought he could have got down for the Luton goal on Saturday. 

Not good enough. 

Lee camp.