Time running out for Sheffield Wednesday's under fire manager Garry Monk

1 hour ago, slow83 said:

Absolutely crammed with facts that isn’t it?!

I did spot a ‘fact’ in there.
It said three quarters of his first choice players are injured, needless to say it’s wrong.

As regards all the rest it’s pure speculation. Nobody has any idea how much of the fan base are fickle and unhappy with Monk right now. The only comparison I can think of is that Monk has a rather poorer record than Jos after a similar number of games. With fans in the ground back then it was clear that it was much more than a tiny and fickle minority shouting for change.

So yes by all means be careful what you wish for but football is all about results and time is clearly running out for Monk to turn this around. Like it or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 13.36.11.jpg

Garry Monk's Sheffield Wednesday need an immediate and significant reaction this Wednesday night if they are to try and recover the season and turn around a disastrous run of results including (remarkably) two losses at home in less than a week. 

The Owls face fierce local rivals Rotherham United in a game that could well see former Sheffield Wednesday wonderkid George Hirst net the winning goal that could see Wednesday relegated at the end of this season.

BUT many Owls fans have seen the challenge laid out in front of Monk, the lack of real spending by the club on players who have brought in a few new faces but on a shoestring budget (to say the least),  and have been remarkably patient as Monk settles his new Assistant manager, coaching staff and new players into the Hillsborough setup.

There is a growing vocal minority within the fanbase who are running out of patience and who have recently been a bit critical of the unlucky Monk, with some saying he should be doing slightly better despite the obvious points deduction, shoestring budget and with him having three quarters of his first choice players out of action through injury.

Thankfully though it's just a tiny fraction of the devoted Sheffield Wednesday fanbase who are voicing that opinion, as the silent majority understand the situation and who remain right behind the team and what Monk is trying to achieve in a season that all football experts have called 'mission impossible'

Many sports writers will point to the current run of form as disappointing but it also has to be said that in a season where one of the club's major and main signings was a player with a double broken leg, with metal pins in that leg, and somehow was still seen as a top signing by the Owls, it's also clear to anyone that understands football that the experts are right and that Garry Monk should be backed and not turned on by a vocal tiny number of fickle fans.

The experts in football all agree. Garry Monk's task at SWFC is not something they would expect anyone else to take on which begs the question, if the vocal minority get their way at Sheffield Wednesday and hound out one of the unluckiest managers in the club's entire history, who will want to take his place?

The message is very clear from those who really understand football.. "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"

Hopefully some one with a little more footballing nous than GM, who wouldn't watch Joey P's inept performances for nigh on a full season, and then be so impressed with his efforts as to give him a new contract.

2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

I did spot a ‘fact’ in there.
It said three quarters of his first choice players are injured, needless to say it’s wrong.

As regards all the rest it’s pure speculation. Nobody has any idea how much of the fan base are fickle and unhappy with Monk right now. The only comparison I can think of is that Monk has a rather poorer record than Jos after a similar number of games. With fans in the ground back then it was clear that it was much more than a tiny and fickle minority shouting for change.

So yes by all means be careful what you wish for but football is all about results and time is clearly running out for Monk to turn this around. Like it or not.

I think the sports writer nailed it to be fair to him/her.

They seem to have their finger on the pulse and made some really valid points in my opinion

Owlstalk Shop

There is a growing vocal minority within the fanbase who are running out of patience and who have recently been a bit critical of the unlucky Monk, with some saying he should be doing slightly better despite the obvious points deduction, shoestring budget and with him having three quarters of his first choice players out of action through injury.

lol

Paul Cook - got Wigan Athletic relegated to Division One

THAT Paul Cook?

Not according to Wiki he didn't.   Stop inventing Tosh.

Wigan Athletic[edit]

On 31 May 2017, Cook was appointed manager of newly relegated League One club Wigan Athletic on a three-year-contract, after a compensation package was agreed with Portsmouth.[12] He led Wigan to the League One title and on an impressive FA Cup run that claimed three shocks against top flight opponents West Ham United, Bournemouth and Manchester City.[13] Cook resigned as Wigan manager on 29 July 2020, following the club's relegation due to a 12-point deduction applied after Wigan went into administration earlier in the month.

haha right. You literally started a poll on this exact subject. That Poll was 85 per cent in favour of sacking Monk. How can you state as a matter of fact what the 'vocal minority' is when your own findings literally state the opposite. 

Edited by Woodyowl450
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Woodyowl450 said:

haha right. You literally started a poll on this exact subject. That Poll was 85 per cent in favour of sacking Monk. How can you state as a matter of fact what the 'vocal minority' is when you're own findings literally state the opposite. 

I think the sports writer makes some valid points though

It's only the vocal anti-monk people who have voted Monk out

The majority of fans have been the silent majority throughout and remain supportive

The sports writer in the OP got it bang on I think mate

Credit to him/her on a well written and interesting article

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Woodyowl450 said:

haha right. You literally started a poll on this exact subject. That Poll was 85 per cent in favour of sacking Monk. How can you state as a matter of fact what the 'vocal minority' is when you're own findings literally state the opposite. 

He's started three new posts on the same topic since last Saturday.  Covid must be affecting business.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think the sports writer nailed it to be fair to him/her.

They seem to have their finger on the pulse and made some really valid points in my opinion

My point is that opinion is speculation not real evidence of the views of the overall fan base.

I believe it would have been very clear how the majority fans felt after Saturday’s game if only they were allowed into Hillsborough. As it is Monk is getting a very easy ride.

I think those backing Monk are in the minority. I do try, but find it increasingly difficult. 

He doesn't have much goodwill left from last season's results. Rightly or wrongly, they are a factor and we have a team looking increasingly like a mirror image of last year as the games pass. 

Just now, Blatter said:

My point is that opinion is speculation not real evidence of the views of the overall fan base.

I believe it would have been very clear how the majority fans felt after Saturday’s game if only they were allowed into Hillsborough. As it is Monk is getting a very easy ride.

I don't know about that mate.

Your opinion on what would happen is speculation not real evidence of the views of the overall fan base.

I think the sports writer nailed it with this article and there's a silent majority who still support the team

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Lincs Owl said:

You keep saying Paul Cook got Wigan relegated.   He took them well clear.  He didn't give Wigan a 12 point deduction. So he didn't get Wigan relegated.

Monk didn't give Sheffield Wednesday a 12 point deduction to be fair mate

Without the deduction we'd be safe right now under Monk's performance currently wouldn't we?

Owlstalk Shop