Time running out for Sheffield Wednesday's under fire manager Garry Monk

Just now, @owlstalk said:

What about the first half?

no that was not outstanding , but he got his players motivated and pulled off many good results . cant see any manager out there whats in our price range better than paul cook. and no compo to pay to get him.  just wont happen though 

2 minutes ago, morganowl said:

no that was not outstanding , but he got his players motivated and pulled off many good results . cant see any manager out there whats in our price range better than paul cook. and no compo to pay to get him.  just wont happen though 

I bet our chairman doesn't have the foggiest who he even is to be fair 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

All this calling for Paul Cook

It was exactly the same for the Cowley Brothers wasn't it?

Same situation but everyone screaming for Cowleys pointing out everything they'd succeeded at and achieved

Look how that turned out

Forgive me for not jumping aboard your Paul Cook Bandwagon heading to disasterville

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Same situation but everyone screaming for Cowleys pointing out everything they'd succeeded at and achieved

Look how that turned out

Forgive me for not jumping aboard your Paul Cook Bandwagon heading to disasterville

not too many huddersfield fans were wanting the cowleys gone , it was a total shock when they were sacked ,they took club on in a mess, bottom of league and were making progress ,and i would regard those 2 for a long term project anyway not a quick fix.  any decent manager has to be better than monk , its so depressing watching us  and most fans can clearly see the way we set up means there will be little to hurt the other teams goal. we need width with full backs and wide players who can both defend and attack as a unit , we need decent crosses going into the box , we cant really blame our strikers on what set up there playing in. 

• Like 1

Just now, morganowl said:

not too many huddersfield fans were wanting the cowleys gone , it was a total shock when they were sacked ,they took club on in a mess, bottom of league and were making progress ,and i would regard those 2 for a long term project anyway not a quick fix.  any decent manager has to be better than monk , its so depressing watching us  and most fans can clearly see the way we set up means there will be little to hurt the other teams goal. we need width with full backs and wide players who can both defend and attack as a unit , we need decent crosses going into the box , we cant really blame our strikers on what set up there playing in. 

I'm at the stage where I don't even believe that quality crosses into the box would do us any good

Owlstalk Shop

There have been some great posts recently calling for consideration of the wider context and and avoidance of reductive, misleading nonsense about Monk, and now there's this thread containing similar about Cook.

Cook did a good job at Wigan. To suggest that they were relegated thanks to him is crazy. Just as if we'd been hit with the deduction and relegated last season, it would have been Chansiri's fault rather than Monk's.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We are playing worse football now and look less like creating chances than we did under Carlos, Bullen, Bruce, Jos. 

Any other manager would be sacked with Monk’s current record. 

He should be getting more out of this team, no doubt in my mind. 

The stats have been widely posted on this website. He’s at the moment one of the worst performing managers in our history. 

Nobody is expecting us to win every game and make the play offs. We want to see a team with a style, identity and a way of playing which fans can get behind.

At the moment we don’t have that and we aren’t getting results. The football is dire and he’s on one of the worst runs of forms the club has seen in the 1960s at Hillsborough. 

Carlos last month in charge we had 5 shots on target. I believe previous month was even less.  It’s worth counting how many nil nils we had under Bruce. Under Jos at times we played with no striker. All  played more negatively than monk. Our problem under monk is different. We aren’t very good because we have cheap, poor players that very few of the rest of the league would have or want.  

in fact the only decent goal scoring we have seen in this league has been away from home last season under Monk and Bullen , and under Carlos in season one. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Look how that turned out

The bandwagon to disaster ville is already full of Monk supporters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Like I said in another thread we have to be really really careful here when it comes to Monk

Let's not forget - Manchester United very nearly sacked Alex Ferguson at one point.... so......

Like I say we really need to tread carefully right now with Monk

Completely different pedigree. He had won about 10 trophies including beating Real Madrid in the Cup winners Cup in 1982 with Aberdeen. Do you think they would have kept him if he hadn't got that on his CV? He wouldn't have been there in the first place.

The question is, what is on Monks CV that makes you think; statistically that he can be an actual success? 

57 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Carlos last month in charge we had 5 shots on target. I believe previous month was even less.  It’s worth counting how many nil nils we had under Bruce. Under Jos at times we played with no striker. All  played more negatively than monk. Our problem under monk is different. We aren’t very good because we have cheap, poor players that very few of the rest of the league would have or want.  

in fact the only decent goal scoring we have seen in this league has been away from home last season under Monk and Bullen , and under Carlos in season one. 

4. Which is fewer than the number of times we shipped 3 or more goals at home under Monk.  And we only lost 2 of his 9 home games, scoring 16 times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk has repeatedly said that he's not responsible for finding the players

Provide me links to that.

So he needed help finding a bunch of players who all play domestically and in the same division?

Course he did.

Just now, SiJ said:

Plus, Monk has signed 9 of these rubbish players so...

So he's brought his own players in, and also has a lower PPG record since he brought in his own coaching staff than he did before he got them.

The excuses for his apologists are fast running out...