Luton Town Etc...

Nothing seems to push us over the edge like losing to a team that is expected to struggle. 

It’s happened for several years.  

No offence to Luton - they deserved the win. They also beat us at their ground last season I think. 

It really does seem to make people’s minds up when this sort of result happens. 

It’s the last straw so to speak. 

It gets to me too... not because of just that one game, it just feels like the end of the line usually.... and like the end of the manager.

(Similar happened with Carlos - we lost away at Bolton I think - those in the ground definitely knew it was over) 

• Like 2

I genuinely don't know why anyone expected a result against Luton. They struggled badly after Jones left them, but as soon as he returned and got the team settled back into his ways of working, they were always going to be a tough little unit.

They'll finish in mid table comfortably this season.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

I genuinely don't know why anyone expected a result against Luton. They struggled badly after Jones left them, but as soon as he returned and got the team settled back into his ways of working, they were always going to be a tough little unit.

I totally agree. I’d have been over the moon to scrape a 1-0 win. 

On the whole, as fans, we do tend to look at the opposition clubs size/name etc and think we’ll win.... then we get shown up and it feels worse than any other defeat. 

• Like 6

Problem is that was arguably about the worst fixture we could have had in our current state. “Luton Town” sounds like one of those lowly clubs that we expect to beat when in fact they have made a pretty good start to this season and finished last season incredibly well. Nathan Jones and Luton Town just seems to be one of those good manager-club fits; they look to have strengthened since last season and they could well be on for a decent result this season. 

Many seemed to be expecting a tough game against Brentford and a routine win against Luton when in fact I don’t believe Luton have actually yet dropped below Brentford in the table this season. Until September they had only lost 1 league game in 14, admittedly they had lost 3 out of 4 before they played us but against teams all in the top 8. 

That being said I think it was our approach and performance that was concerning on Saturday. Rotherham and Wycombe are both in poor form and will be the real indicator of where we are at. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

I I expected us to smash em.

Forget the fact that they are actually good and we're shìt.

Non league not long ago and now look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

I I expected us to smash em.

Forget the fact that they are actually good and we're shìt.

Non league not long ago and now look.

We do appear to be really good at making excuses as to why we shouldn't expect to beat teams. 

It's usually pans out that we get stuffed by a smaller club players assembled on a real shoestring - then another team later that week go and give them a stuffing, very much showing us up.

7 hours ago, max_7654 said:

Problem is that was arguably about the worst fixture we could have had in our current state. “Luton Town” sounds like one of those lowly clubs that we expect to beat when in fact they have made a pretty good start to this season and finished last season incredibly well. Nathan Jones and Luton Town just seems to be one of those good manager-club fits; they look to have strengthened since last season and they could well be on for a decent result this season. 

Many seemed to be expecting a tough game against Brentford and a routine win against Luton when in fact I don’t believe Luton have actually yet dropped below Brentford in the table this season. Until September they had only lost 1 league game in 14, admittedly they had lost 3 out of 4 before they played us but against teams all in the top 8. 

That being said I think it was our approach and performance that was concerning on Saturday. Rotherham and Wycombe are both in poor form and will be the real indicator of where we are at. 

We are crap,stop trying to dress it up..ffs...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

It's not just losing - it's the manner of the performance.

We werent unlucky - we got exactly what we deserved.

Exactly, I think fans need to look beyond the name of clubs and just think “it’s only Luton, we will smash them”.

They started season well but was coming off the back of defeats and not scoring. We should have gone into that game and tested their confidence. Unfortunately, we just helped them find their form and look brilliant. Take nothing away, they took the game and deserved the win but, my God, we couldn’t have helped them much more.

Is it that much to ask for us to have a competitive game against that Luton town team? 

They could have easily won by three or four on Saturday.

It was another awful home display, completely lacking in the basics, let alone quality.

8 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Nothing seems to push us over the edge like losing to a team that is expected to struggle. 

It’s happened for several years.  

No offence to Luton - they deserved the win. They also beat us at their ground last season I think. 

It really does seem to make people’s minds up when this sort of result happens. 

It’s the last straw so to speak. 

It gets to me too... not because of just that one game, it just feels like the end of the line usually.... and like the end of the manager.

(Similar happened with Carlos - we lost away at Bolton I think - those in the ground definitely knew it was over) 

I mentioned that Bolton game a couple of weeks ago in the context of how we often seem to oblige to help clubs with a poor record out. Think they had something like 1 point from 9 games going into that match.

Got a bad feeling about similarity with the upcoming Wycombe game.

12 hours ago, brando said:

We are crap,stop trying to dress it up..ffs...

Hardly trying to “dress it up” and I don’t necessarily disagree that we might be “crap.” I even said our approach to the game and overall performance was concerning. 

Just trying to give some factual context that Luton aren’t necessarily as beatable as what we may have thought and that we sometimes  may have a tendency to expect results against our opposition based on their name and stature rather than actual form and ability. 

As I also said, Wycombe/Rotherham are both in poor form. Anything less than 4-6 points from these 2 and we really can be concerned. 

• Like 1