SWFC v RUFC

18 hours ago, AlanLee said:

Hi team, you're 'glass half full Sheffield Miller' here.

Doesn't seem that long ago that you were singing "we'll never play you again..." so who'd have thought a season later we're back playing you again.... and you sit below us in the league! 

On to Wednesday's game and I genuinely think Rotherham will win this one comfortably. I've seen every game and apart from Wycombe and Forest we've been the better side if a little light up front. 

From the glimpses I've had of Wednesday you seem to be well on your way to getting moulded into a typical 'Gary Monk' team. That's fine if that's your thing but it's not for me.

I'm hoping Brown's missing cos he's the only player of yours I actually worry about. 

Thoughts and predictions welcome? 

I'll go 3-1 Rotherham. 

Hi Alan, will you be sticking around in this thread even if you lose tonight? Also seeing that other people are talking about it, I'll give my own opinion. I don't see Rotherham as a derby, but as small rivalry as we are close geographically like with Leeds and Barnsley ect. Are only derby is against the pigs. Anyway I'll go 0-1 Wednesday or a 0-0 1-1 draw. We might be playing each other again next season in L1 haha.

Guest Therealrealist
32 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Hi Alan, will you be sticking around in this thread even if you lose tonight? Also seeing that other people are talking about it, I'll give my own opinion. I don't see Rotherham as a derby, but as small rivalry as we are close geographically like with Leeds and Barnsley ect. Are only derby is against the pigs. Anyway I'll go 0-1 Wednesday or a 0-0 1-1 draw. We might be playing each other again next season in L1 haha.

There’s absolutely no chance Rotherham will lose tonight

Guest Therealrealist
10 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

That was my heart prediction. My head says we'll lose. :duntmatter:

We wont lose either pal😂

2 hours ago, horny owl said:

Love how Rotherham treat this fixture like its an important derby and that we give a phook about a club their size

As for the game it’s going to be the dullest 0-0 you’ll ever see FFS

image.png.f6b8d8c6e11ad6cb5a3198039d841c53.png

....we won't lose! 😀

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Incognito Owl said:

Yes I'll stick around depending on how personal the abuse gets cos this is the only forum where I see such vitriol towards people with a different opinion. 

As for the derby argument, it's brought up every time by many of you that you don't see this game as a derby.

Reasons given are - we are beneath your level and so it's insignificant, we a tinpot club, you already have a derby with Sheff U (not for a while tho) and playing us is no different to playing the likes of Gillingham or Preston (how many fans would those clubs bring to Hillsborough for a league match? 

But our grounds are less than 7 miles apart, our fan base transcends boundaries, our families are mixed with Millers and Owls, your fan base is boosted by thousands from Rotherham and this season at least, we are only 2 points apart after the opening games. So anyone saying this in NOT a derby is  talking a load of boll@cks and you know it. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

Yes I'll stick around depending on how personal the abuse gets cos this is the only forum where I see such vitriol towards people with a different opinion. 

As for the derby argument, it's brought up every time by many of you that you don't see this game as a derby.

Reasons given are - we are beneath your level and so it's insignificant, we a tinpot club, you already have a derby with Sheff U (not for a while tho) and playing us is no different to playing the likes of Gillingham or Preston (how many fans would those clubs bring to Hillsborough for a league match? 

But our grounds are less than 7 miles apart, our fan base transcends boundaries, our families are mixed with Millers and Owls, your fan base is boosted by thousands from Rotherham and this season at least, we are only 2 points apart after the opening games. So anyone saying this in NOT a derby is  talking a load of boll@cks and you know it. 

With the way we’re playing, I’d be absolutely dreading the match tomorrow if we were playing the pigs... because that’s a proper derby where the rivalry is reciprocated, and I’d be absolutely gutted to lose to them (probably heavily because we’re utterly rubbish). I’d already be counting down the hours to the game and wouldn’t be able to properly concentrate on anything else until kickoff. 

It’s just another game against a probable relegation rival tomorrow, just like our game against Wycombe on Saturday will be. We’re crap, so you’ve got every chance of winning... I’ll be annoyed at dropping points to another team in the relegation scrap (and even though we’ve got used to it over the last 15-20 years, it’s still embarrassing to get beaten by tinpot teams like Yeovil or Rotherham) but honestly I won’t feel any different to how I felt after we lost to Luton on Saturday. We just aren’t bothered. Enjoy your cup final though

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

Your point being you bring more fans to Hillsborough because it means more to you not us. We would sell our allocation regardless of whether it was rotherham, Preston or Bristol city we were playing 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

Come on Alan, don't be playing that card. This is the sole reason you come on here before a RUFC V SWFC match and you've hooked a few in this thread.

I do have to point out that a derby, for me,  is a game between teams from the same city.  The term originated (although disputed by some) in Ashbourne in Derbyshire for when folk from either side of the river in the town went up against each other in the "Royal Shrovetide Football Match". I think it's used way too much due to SkySports describing matches between the likes of Brighton and Crystal Palace as a 'derby'. 

I'd call the match between us a rivalry. As you say the grounds are less than 7 miles apart and there's a large contingent of our fanbase that live, work and/or were born in Rotherham. But that's the same for Sheff U, Leeds, Man u, Liverpool, Man City etc. I just struggle to understand why these people aren't viewed in the same manner (i.e. spawn of Satan) by your supporters. In fact some are even welcomed in your home end wearing their first team's colours :blink:    

Edited by Bassett's Allsorts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlanLee said:

I don't see Rotherham as beneath us ect. I don't mind them. I just see them the same as Leeds and Barnsley, like I said just local rivals. Playing are local rivals has got more in it then playing Gillingham and Preston, but those still aren't derbies for us. Sheffield United are the only one whatever league we're both in. 

You and other Rotherham fans may see it as more a derby, same as some Wednesday fans. In reality it's not, especially in Wednesday's case. If we lose tonight it would be just another loss for me. The only difference would be the Rotherham hasn't beaten us at home in how many years record really. What you think of "our derby" is how we think of the Sheffield derby. Also it's kinda like when Wednesday play Hull on sky. It's said to be a Yorkshire derby when it isn't, it's just two teams from Yorkshire.

Finally you may get less abuse if you stop looking like you're on the wind up/having an hatred towards us and NO it's not a derby, just a local rivalry. Anyway good luck for tonight.