Younger, more dynamic squad

11 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Hardly think Windass has been our worst signing when 1 isn't good enough to get in the matchday squad and another is out with an injury he had before he even came here. 

Actually that’s true, but perhaps only in the way that Rhodes wasn’t as bad a signing as Abdi

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Actually that’s true, but perhaps only in the way that Rhodes wasn’t as bad a signing as Abdi

Rhodes cost 9million Windass 500k no comparison other than Windass plays Rhodes doesn't. You seem to have agendas with certain players that you can't let go, it was Fletcher last season who was the best player on the park when he played. I would say Windass will prove more than value this season sadly Rhodes never will.

11 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Rhodes cost 9million Windass 500k no comparison other than Windass plays Rhodes doesn't. You seem to have agendas with certain players that you can't let go, it was Fletcher last season who was the best player on the park when he played. I would say Windass will prove more than value this season sadly Rhodes never will.

My argument last season, was that we needed better and younger, than Fletcher if we wanted to reach the play offs. We didn’t sign anybody and we fell away alarmingly. By no means am I blaming Fletcher for that, but without better attacking options, we were always going to fall short. 
Everybody said, at the end of the season, we can have a clear out and finally bring in some decent attacking options. Have we done that? No, this lot are even worse.

40 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My argument last season, was that we needed better and younger, than Fletcher if we wanted to reach the play offs. We didn’t sign anybody and we fell away alarmingly. By no means am I blaming Fletcher for that, but without better attacking options, we were always going to fall short. 
Everybody said, at the end of the season, we can have a clear out and finally bring in some decent attacking options. Have we done that? No, this lot are even worse.

Trouble was that the clearout was always going to be a downgrade. We had lived well beyond our means since DCs arrival. MM knew what are limits were and boring as it was never stepped beyond them. The mess we are in was created through ill thought marquee signings of Rhodes and Abdi, neither who were really needed. Then we paid over the top wages to basically the whole squad for thier near misses. The problem now with recruitment is we can't compete we are maxed out on FFP rules. I disagree that Windass or Patterson are bad buys as they reflect were we are at present. I don't see the sense in Kachunga , or Dunkley and think FDB was massively overhyped. We should have just enough to survive this season but the manager is of grave concern and it could be a white knuckle ride going all the way to end of the season.

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Trouble was that the clearout was always going to be a downgrade. We had lived well beyond our means since DCs arrival. MM knew what are limits were and boring as it was never stepped beyond them. The mess we are in was created through ill thought marquee signings of Rhodes and Abdi, neither who were really needed. Then we paid over the top wages to basically the whole squad for thier near misses. The problem now with recruitment is we can't compete we are maxed out on FFP rules. I disagree that Windass or Patterson are bad buys as they reflect were we are at present. I don't see the sense in Kachunga , or Dunkley and think FDB was massively overhyped. We should have just enough to survive this season but the manager is of grave concern and it could be a white knuckle ride going all the way to end of the season.

Pretty much sums it up yes, though I can’t see why we spent that sort of money on Paterson and Windass

7 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

I think that's the point, this is the quality of squad you are allowed, when complying with FFP. 

Generally, I've been pleased with recruitment, not blind to their shortcomings and would have preferred more younger players, looking longer term, but still don't think they are playing to their potential.

We've added pace to the team, but don't use it, still painfully slow in our build up play, unless we boot it forward, in which case 9/10 times guarantee the defender wins the header and the opposition the second ball.

We just look lacklustre, don't close down or try to put pressure on the opposition box. I'm not sure what Monk's definition of dynamic is, but I'm not seeing it. 

I thought we were going to see some energy this season, a high press to put pressure on the ball, using our pace to turn the defence, run the channels and get people in the box.

Our main tactic, apart from the big boot forward is running until we see a defender, turning round, running back to our own goal for a bit before passing to Bannan, who will chip in a ball from the middle of the pitch for the defenders to head out. On the few occasions we do get a wide cross in, the build up is so slow we've two in the middle, marked by six opposition players. 

23 minutes ago, striker said:

I think that's the point, this is the quality of squad you are allowed, when complying with FFP. 

Generally, I've been pleased with recruitment, not blind to their shortcomings and would have preferred more younger players, looking longer term, but still don't think they are playing to their potential.

We've added pace to the team, but don't use it, still painfully slow in our build up play, unless we boot it forward, in which case 9/10 times guarantee the defender wins the header and the opposition the second ball.

We just look lacklustre, don't close down or try to put pressure on the opposition box. I'm not sure what Monk's definition of dynamic is, but I'm not seeing it. 

I thought we were going to see some energy this season, a high press to put pressure on the ball, using our pace to turn the defence, run the channels and get people in the box.

Our main tactic, apart from the big boot forward is running until we see a defender, turning round, running back to our own goal for a bit before passing to Bannan, who will chip in a ball from the middle of the pitch for the defenders to head out. On the few occasions we do get a wide cross in, the build up is so slow we've two in the middle, marked by six opposition players. 

Its the Owls way. We have been slow for the last 4 years. Bannan needs to move the ball quicker and the wide men need to play on the correct wings rather than cut in so narrowing the point of attack.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Its the Owls way. We have been slow for the last 4 years. Bannan needs to move the ball quicker and the wide men need to play on the correct wings rather than cut in so narrowing the point of attack.

I don’t disagree with that. The thing for me is, when all the players are fit, we can make a fairly solid back four, a good midfield three, but the front players still don’t look good enough. However, with two departments working, we could at least get Harris and any quicker players further up the pitch. At least we’d be more solid

On 26/10/2020 at 08:26, striker said:

It occurred to me after Saturday that this promise was one of my main reasons for optimism this season.

Having watched the team struggle to play two games in a week while maintaining any sort of tempo or energy to close down the opposition, got me wondering. 

A cursory glance at our starting line up on Saturday has an average age of 27. The youngest player was Dawson at 25. 

If I recall correctly, we've only signed two players under 25?

I get the need for experience, particularly in our predicament. But, we are quickly reverting to type, not closing down, no movement and wonder where this dynamism is, which was supposed to be the bedrock of our team this season. 

Dunkley was a great signing, flew through his medical, apart from broken legs he was fully fit and just needed getting up to speed. :duntmatter:

• Haha 2