Younger, more dynamic squad

41 minutes ago, 0114 said:

No problem signing players at 26-30 as long as we never put them on the money we have in the past. 

The biggest issue was we couldn’t move players on because of the wages we paid. 

You mean like the two offers we turned down for a Westwood.

The wages are not an issue the problem is the stupidity of the chairman, someone paying you half of Westwood wages saves in £500,000 for the rest of the season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

All Monk has done is replace quality with lesser players on cheaper wages.

Of course he has; he had to.

I doubt this was part of some grand plan of Monk's. Given the choice, I'm sure he'd much rather have been able to spend the kind of cash and sign the kind of quality we did under Carvalhal, but our chairman has got us into a mess of epic proportions, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Of course he has; he had to.

I doubt this was part of some grand plan of Monk's. Given the choice, I'm sure he'd much rather have been able to spend the kind of cash and sign the kind of quality we did under Carvalhal, but our chairman has got us into a mess of epic proportions, I'm afraid.

But if you didn't have any strikers lined up when you knew in January you were releasing them all, then don't let them all leave its not rocket science. 

I am not a Nuihu fan but he would be a better option than any of the current options we have and would be the big man for Monk's long ball game plan and he has to be on less than most of the attacking players we brought in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But if you didn't have any strikers lined up when you knew in January you were releasing them all, then don't let them all leave its not rocket science. 

I am not a Nuihu fan but he would be a better option than any of the current options we have and would be the big man for Monk's long ball game plan and he has to be on less than most of the attacking players we brought in.

Of the strikers who left in the summer, only Fletcher played a particularly important role for us last season, and Monk was on record as wanting to keep him. Unfortunately, our club is no position to renew contracts such as his, and he left for Stoke instead of accepting the reduced terms we were able to offer.

Short of tying him up in a South Stand executive box, how could Monk have stopped him leaving!?

Fair enough if you rate Nuhiu as a better player, but I'd back Windass and Paterson over him due to their better mobility. Either way, according to a well-connected poster on here, we offered him a contract.

3 hours ago, doubleo said:

Please tell me 27 isn't old and past it.

I'm afraid in football terms it's getting there. 

In theory shouldn't be a problem, but in the last two games I just don't see players busting a gut to win back the ball or get into the opposition box. It's getting a lot like watching us go through the motions, like last season, to be seen to be trying to do something but with no real conviction or purpose.

It can't be attitude, because we signed players with the right attitude we were told? And with age comes experience which should give tactical discipline, nous and some football intelligence?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Of the strikers who left in the summer, only Fletcher played a particularly important role for us last season, and Monk was on record as wanting to keep him. Unfortunately, our club is no position to renew contracts such as his, and he left for Stoke instead of accepting the reduced terms we were able to offer.

Short of tying him up in a South Stand executive box, how could Monk have stopped him leaving!?

Fair enough if you rate Nuhiu as a better player, but I'd back Windass and Paterson over him due to their better mobility. Either way, according to a well-connected poster on here, we offered him a contract.

I am not a fan of Nuihu but when Monk tactics now seem to be very clear bypass midfield and get the ball up front as quick as possible then his plan is kind of flawed when the striker up front is 5ft 7".

We have sign Kachunga that has barely played I can only assume this is because he does not have the match fitness, Windass that has been plyer in about 5 position so far, I expect Monk at some point to play him at Wingback. Dele doesn't even make the match day 18 in most games so seems a strange one that he was not sent out on Loan or even signed considering the rave reviews Hunt was getting last season, he is going backwards since he only get 5 or 10 minutes a match and kids will never progress sat on the bench. Man City can do it because they have world class players in training we don't. Dunkley maybe we might see before Christmas if we are wish and wish really hard. Paterson does look to put himself about but he played for Heart's for 5 year at right back and Cardiff for 3 years mainly in midfield with sometimes playing up front.

If we get 7 or 8 goals out of him we will have done well. 

We continue to use the 3-5-2 formation without the players and continue to concede softs goals and switch off with 10 minutes to play nothing has changed since Monk took over last year we are just a lot worse than we were with no leaders left on the pitch no Hutch, Westwood, Borner, Fletcher.  

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I am not a fan of Nuihu but when Monk tactics now seem to be very clear bypass midfield and get the ball up front as quick as possible then his plan is kind of flawed when the striker up front is 5ft 7".

We have sign Kachunga that has barely played I can only assume this is because he does not have the match fitness, Windass that has been plyer in about 5 position so far, I expect Monk at some point to play him at Wingback. Dele doesn't even make the match day 18 in most games so seems a strange one that he was not sent out on Loan or even signed considering the rave reviews Hunt was getting last season, he is going backwards since he only get 5 or 10 minutes a match and kids will never progress sat on the bench. Man City can do it because they have world class players in training we don't. Dunkley maybe we might see before Christmas if we are wish and wish really hard. Paterson does look to put himself about but he played for Heart's for 5 year at right back and Cardiff for 3 years mainly in midfield with sometimes playing up front.

If we get 7 or 8 goals out of him we will have done well. 

We continue to use the 3-5-2 formation without the players and continue to concede softs goals and switch off with 10 minutes to play nothing has changed since Monk took over last year we are just a lot worse than we were with no leaders left on the pitch no Hutch, Westwood, Borner, Fletcher.  

So we agree that Monk has done replaced quality with lesser players on cheaper wages because he had to?

• Haha 1

I think we signed a bit of a mixed bag when we had money, now we’ve done the same when we don’t One could argue that the ones who cost us the most money have been our worst signings, then and now

Edited by gurujuan

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

Listen Monk knows what a winning dressing room looks like

And if he could only get rid of the talented but devilish and disruptive players you’d see it 🙄

9 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

personally I think it would have been more beneficial to the young players you mention to have spent some time on loan at a league one club. FDB especially who has potential but looks off the pace of the Championship. 

FDB is a young lad who's played very little league football. it's not surprising he's off the pace. I can understand why we didn't send him out on loan straight away, there was the potential he would take to first team football straight away. It's not happened but I'd give him a bit more game time as a sub and then review after Christmas. Maybe send him out to L1 in the new year. Some of the others should be out on loan. It would do Hunt a power of good.

Ideally we would give them a run in the team but we can't at present, maybe when /if we get out of the relegation places. Too much pressure at present.

5 hours ago, striker said:

I'm afraid in football terms it's getting there. 

In theory shouldn't be a problem, but in the last two games I just don't see players busting a gut to win back the ball or get into the opposition box. It's getting a lot like watching us go through the motions, like last season, to be seen to be trying to do something but with no real conviction or purpose.

It can't be attitude, because we signed players with the right attitude we were told? And with age comes experience which should give tactical discipline, nous and some football intelligence?

27 isn't old in football terms. It's a players prime. Sign a player at 27 and if he does well you can get a decent fee for him unless he's on daft wages. I can accept the top money is paid for young playes., you are paying for potential but to say 27 is getting old is a bit of a stretch.

Marcus Rashford is helping the young and hungry.

What we need is strikers that can score goals. Why did people get excited with the 3 non prolific strikers we signed?

People were wetting themselves about more creativity from a midfielder they had never heard from and another one that misses more than he plays. Wednesdays transfer activity  was abysmal. 

You don't have to go for to see that good coaches can get rubbish players like Duffy, Clarke and McGoldrick firing. We have one of the best finishes outside the Premier, we just need good coaches to work with him.

We have a very poor squad that will struggle at a lower level when we go down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alexdave1867 said:

Marcus Rashford is helping the young and hungry.

What we need is strikers that can score goals. Why did people get excited with the 3 non prolific strikers we signed?

People were wetting themselves about more creativity from a midfielder they had never heard from and another one that misses more than he plays. Wednesdays transfer activity  was abysmal. 

You don't have to go for to see that good coaches can get rubbish players like Duffy, Clarke and McGoldrick firing. We have one of the best finishes outside the Premier, we just need good coaches to work with him.

We have a very poor squad that will struggle at a lower level when we go down.

If he's one of the best finishers already what difference will good coaches make. Just let him get on with it. The truth is he used to be one of the best finishers he no longer is. Even Norwich had him as a second fiddle striker. He didn't do much at Middlesborough.

I would love him to come good but after supporting him I've come to realise it's not going to happen. It took me long enough.

22 minutes ago, prowl said:

If he's one of the best finishers already what difference will good coaches make. Just let him get on with it. The truth is he used to be one of the best finishers he no longer is. Even Norwich had him as a second fiddle striker. He didn't do much at Middlesborough.

I would love him to come good but after supporting him I've come to realise it's not going to happen. It took me long 

However the other three strikers are simply not good enough. We are going down.

1 minute ago, alexdave1867 said:

However the other three strikers are simply not good enough. We are going down.

Positive mental attitude.

If our players think like you we will go down. Hopefully they don't wet themselves at the slightest sign of a setback.

Just now, prowl said:

Positive mental attitude.

If our players think like you we will go down. Hopefully they don't wet themselves at the slightest sign of a setback.

I hope they don't think like me too. They can't afford to be a realist like me.

If you think a combination of any of Paterson, Marriott, Kachunga, Windass  or Rhodes can get the goals to keep us up then you are not realistic and your heart is ruling your head.

We will go down.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think we signed a bit of a mixed bag when we had money, now we’ve done the same when we don’t One could argue that the ones who cost us the most money have been our worst signings, then and now

Hardly think Windass has been our worst signing when 1 isn't good enough to get in the matchday squad and another is out with an injury he had before he even came here.