Matt penny

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

What as Penney ever done in a wednesday shirt? Is it cus he’s ‘one of our own’ that people want him in the team?

Nope it’s coz he looks like if given a run in the side he could develop into a good footballer. Likes to stop the cross and always has looked a competent left back in his two albeit short spells with us.

Looks to have a good delivery and likes to overlap. Haven’t had a fullback like that since Pudil. 

Monk doesn’t like footballers. He likes pace strength and effort. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Penney deserves a chance, our delivery can’t be any worse..

The answer is in front of our eyes.

v QPR Monk finally played Reach left, Harris right - Reach crossed for our goal.

v Brum he played Reach left, Harris right - Harris crossed for our goal.

v Brentford he decided to revert back to play them on their wrong foot again. 

Would you play Penney RWB? Of course not. It would be stupid. But that’s how he uses Reach and Harris.

• Like 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I don’t get this love in with Matt Penney. I see a player who runs about a lot but whose crossing is generally poor and who has poor positional sense. He played well against League 2 Walsall but was poor in the league games. I know Reach isn’t exactly amazing but his crossing ability is miles better than Penney.

11 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Monk doesn’t like footballers. He likes pace strength and effort. 

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and when you're dealing with the standard of player we are when discussing Matt Penney, the latter are always going to be paramount, as he's hardly the most gifted of footballers, is he?

Hopefully he'll develop a bit, work on his crossing and positioning, and we'll have a footballer who also offers some pace and effort on our hands.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

The answer is in front of our eyes.

v QPR Monk finally played Reach left, Harris right - Reach crossed for our goal.

v Brum he played Reach left, Harris right - Harris crossed for our goal.

v Brentford he decided to revert back to play them on their wrong foot again. 

Would you play Penney RWB? Of course not. It would be stupid. But that’s how he uses Reach and Harris.

21 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I don’t get this love in with Matt Penney. I see a player who runs about a lot but whose crossing is generally poor and who has poor positional sense. He played well against League 2 Walsall but was poor in the league games. I know Reach isn’t exactly amazing but his crossing ability is miles better than Penney.

100 x both of these

14 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

What as Penney ever done in a wednesday shirt? Is it cus he’s ‘one of our own’ that people want him in the team?

Looked good as a wingback when he first broke through before jos played him everywhere. He's a tad quicker than reach, can't beat his man which reach very rarely does and is a better defender. 

Reach has 4/5 years experience on the lad, but he needs games to improve. 

Reach should play left wingback in every game unless we need him in centre-mid due to injuries (often likely). In those circumstances, Penney should fill-in at wing-back. I've more confidence in Penney than any of the other youngsters but imo he's no more than a useful back-up for Reach.

I spotted a couple of comments on here that Penney 'can't cross'. That's bizarre because in theory his greatest asset is his ability to strike the ball beautifully with his left foot. He's terrific at free-kicks and corners and has occasionally put in a peach of a cross with great 'shape' on it. But it's true that many of his crosses are rubbish.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Reach should play left wingback in every game unless we need him in centre-mid due to injuries (often likely). In those circumstances, Penney should fill-in at wing-back. I've more confidence in Penney than any of the other youngsters but imo he's no more than a useful back-up for Reach.

I spotted a couple of comments on here that Penney 'can't cross'. That's bizarre because in theory his greatest asset is his ability to strike the ball beautifully with his left foot. He's terrific at free-kicks and corners and has occasionally put in a peach of a cross with great 'shape' on it. But it's true that many of his crosses are rubbish.

So coming of the bench for 15 to 20 mins as a replacement for reach I can accept but he's not on the bench or not being used anymore which will hit hes morale he's needs to be care for plus a arm around the shoulder when he's not going well..... But he can play attacking minded player which we as fans should support 

36 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Couldn’t agree more.

My choice of WBs:-

Left - Reach then Penney

Right - Harris, then Moses, then Palmer

I actually think WB is in pretty good shape, so long as Monk stops inverting them!

Edited by Holmowl

2 minutes ago, nort pole owl said:

So coming of the bench for 15 to 20 mins as a replacement for reach I can accept but he's not on the bench or not being used anymore which will hit hes morale he's needs to be care for plus a arm around the shoulder when he's not going well..... But he can play attacking minded player which we as fans should support 

Yep agreed.

Penney on the bench as backup/competitor to Reach on the left seems ideal to me. Likewise, Moses or Palmer as back-up/competitor for Harris on the right. 

Sadly it’s not us fans that need convincing, it’s our leader.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yep agreed.

Penney on the bench as backup/competitor to Reach on the left seems ideal to me. Likewise, Moses or Palmer as back-up/competitor for Harris on the right. 

Sadly it’s not us fans that need convincing, it’s our leader.

Were all ******** of pal

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and when you're dealing with the standard of player we are when discussing Matt Penney, the latter are always going to be paramount, as he's hardly the most gifted of footballers, is he?

Hopefully he'll develop a bit, work on his crossing and positioning, and we'll have a footballer who also offers some pace and effort on our hands.

Depends what you look at. He has had limited game time but in the times when he has had 2/3 games in a row at lb or lwb then he has shown for me enough to suggest he would be good given a further run. But he looks unwilling to ply the percentages he always looks to pass and move. Monk doesn’t like this 

On 25/10/2020 at 14:56, nort pole owl said:

Have we falling out with another player who can play ball..... 

Shame on you matt for getting man of the match coming on as a sub your showing us up 

E6CB7506-2475-4241-A8AD-A1ADD5FD0693.gif.9c345c3200122e2aecadf82441ba28e2.gif

On 25/10/2020 at 15:39, nort pole owl said:

So playing with wing backs you play Liam palmer instead? Like Bristol away 

On 25/10/2020 at 16:32, nort pole owl said:

U need pace to play 352 formation which we played before all the injuries so why play Liam palmer and Adam reach ahead of matt penny it's wrong on penney he's young and hungry but alot is wrong  with this club.... Were negative that why he doesn't play plus no proper club has a cf taking throw ins 

On 25/10/2020 at 16:34, nort pole owl said:

Plus he scored in recent under 23game but that be something too good to do 

• Haha 1